2014.08.06 - West Palm Beach, FL - Production Rehearsal

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His response is really pathetic and it's sad to think that they want to play a show for 'casual' listeners. I don't know why they don't make different setlists every night, like give each a city a 'surprise' song or something like that. It's not that we're asking them to drop all the singles for b-sides but one song each night won't hurt.

I agree 100% with what Mike is saying. Most people who attend concerts are casual fans. LP wants their audiences to be satisfied with their shows. Calling his response "pathetic" is uncalled for in my opinion. The reason these sets contain so many shortened songs is because they want to fit in as much as they can. At this point songs like Runaway should be potentially dropped, and less successful singles like Papercut, LFY, and LITE should be rotated. The Ballad Melody should not even exist at this point either. SOTD and Iridescent should be rotated as well. I'm pretty sure "casual" fans don't want any botched songs.

That being said, from the look of these setlists, it seems like a mess. The shows are probably fucking fantastic regardless. I wouldn't be complaining if I was actually there at a show. I probably know nothing.

It's not the setlist itself that's terrible, it's what they've chosen to do with it. Why would you keep the Ballad Medley, which EVERYONE complains about, but shorten the most popular song off the album you just released less than 2 months ago? Why would you not only keep, but EXTEND the awful sped-up version of Crawling, but drop A Light That Never Comes, which was a very successful recent single that hasn't been played live much? Why would you drop With You, a universally-loved song by band and fans alike, but keep Runaway, which is Chester's most-hated song in the entire Linkin Park catalog and generally not what people would rather hear if given the choice between the two?

These guys are getting more and more clueless about what people want to hear at their live shows as the years go on. Play a bunch of hits. Play them in full. You have enough of them at this point in your career that you're going to have to pick and choose which ones to play anyway, so play a set of 80% hits and 20% "goodies." Rotate both hits and "goodies" from time to time, instead of letting songs from your most popular album go untouched for over 10 years. Pay attention to what people think when it comes to your live show, because while it's perfectly acceptable to make the album you want to make, the entire essence of the live show is the FANS. Judge what should stay and what should go by what people are saying about each show. Drop the diva attitude and ego you cleverly hide when you're in the public eye, stop thinking your fans are all idiots and that you know everything, and QUIT PLAYING STUPID SHIT.

I'm really not quite sure why Runaway is still in the set while other songs deserve the spot more. Chester loathes the song and I can't imagine the rest of the band loves it, to be honest, but maybe. Even more, maybe LP thinks it's a fan favorite, so they are keeping it? I've never seen fans ever request the song or even talk about it. I actually see a lot of LP fans saying that it isn't one of their favorites. Hmm.

Maybe just maybe, all these set list complaints being made here on lplive only reflect a small % of what the LP fanbase as a whole feel. I don't think LP are going to change their setlists completely based on that.

I miss the 2012-2013 setlists. They were more "Carnivores" than this. Papercut shortened, Until it s gone shortened, when there are useless stuff like Crawling, New Divide shortened, the Ballad Medley. I will never understand the logic of this band.

Regarding the setlist and shortened songs etc...

Didn't LP do a survey a while back asking fans what their favourite songs are?

Maybe the setlist is a result of that and the reason for Runaway being performed when a lot of people on this site seem not to like it.

Personally, I like Runaway.

I could do without hearing ITE, OSC and Crawling amongst others ever again.

As for the whole "casual fans" attending concerts. Its a BS excuse for choosing what songs to play.

You're putting on a show to entertain people. That show doesn't need to be all hits or songs you think the concert goers know.

Playing early songs or rare songs might persuade casual fans to become serious fans if they hear a song they like which can't be found on a studio album.

Also, as part of the show and entertaining the crowd, it wouldn't hurt to stop and have a quick chat or bit of banter with the crowd.

I personally think it's a really good set. I really can't figure out why are people still surprised about the shortened songs stuff. We all knew it was gonna come back after the European tour, though it's kind of weird to see a new song like UIG shortened. IMO, the Ballad Medley is really not that bad. After watching a couple of shows from the European tour, I believe this kind of set definitely works. It seems like the crowd is having a lot of fun, and so does the band. Playing the shortened songs gives them the opportunity to play songs that wouldn't make it to a set today in any other form (Blackout, Robot Boy...). I personally think it's great that they decided to do something different and new. Maybe it's just me, but I really like the whole idea of medleys, mashups and solos.

On another note, the Rebellion clips sound great. I really can't wait to hear the full song live.

Edited by Mesck547

I saw almost the same set live two months ago and say what you want, to me it is one of the best I've seen live (10 shows).

But I do agree that shortening UIG is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.

No problems with the other shortened songs because they're all songs I'm slowly getting tired of except for Papercut.