RogueSoul

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 years later...

Don't know if anyone noticed that, but in the making of SOTD there is a snippet of the new SOTD version, you can hear it at 1:24. The video for the first time was released in October, 2007. This can mean that they screw up by picking the wrong version (probably a demo version) in that time.

The new version of the song SOTD was firstly released in 2012 on HDtracks at 24-bit, then on iTunes in 2013, then in 2017 on picture vinyl.

Edited by martinez

41 minutes ago, martinez said:

Don't know if anyone noticed that, but in the making of SOTD there is a snippet of the new SOTD version, you can hear it at 1:24. The video for the first time was released in October, 2007. This can mean that they screw up by picking the wrong version (probably a demo version) in that time.

The new version of the song SOTD was firstly released in 2012 on HDtracks at 24-bit, then on iTunes in 2013, then in 2017 on picture vinyl.

Nice find. I assume the alternate mix of NRL and ATL are also ''demo'' mixes, too, then, by default. I still find the other versions of those songs superior.

• 2 years later...

Do you know that iTunes and Apple Music still has an alternate versions of the songs Shadow Of The Day and No Roads Left, those versions are different from the ones released on the Minutes To Midnight CD. Is that was intentional?

Mike answer:

I don't know anything about those, send this to Anna.

Awesome, good job, thumbs up etc.

If right now they can fix this even quicker than the FM censored editions then good.

But you know, some people are interesting where those versions come from, are those were holded for the final release and then exchanged for the different versions the last minute or what was the reson, that even that version of SOTD was used in the SOTD making of? How you can see to be even able to answer that question, Mike would have to first listen to those.

And at least I didn't know that he still don't know about those alternate versions (after that time).

Edited by martinez

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LPsMart said:

different mastering

Mastering you're saying?

If the track would have the same mixing and they will only do mastering for it, I don't think it would be that much different from the 2007 version.

Edited by martinez

59 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

yeah I mean it's obvious they had to re-master it after making the new mix but it's such a 2021 spotify master - everything is boosted, big sound range, crisp high ends, not at all comparable to the 2007 (which I actually still prefer)

Kind of can't believe that Brian Gardner would master it like that, unless there are some new big 2021 standards that he applied. Or someone else mastered it.

28 minutes ago, Rasputin 93 said:

Oh, so the entire album has been mastered differently now or really only those three songs?

Would still be a mess if three tracks are now louder than the rest.

Only 3 tracks were replaced. The rest tracks are untouched.

The tracks were fixed in the following releases:

Minutes To Midnight (Apple Digital Master + 24-bit) [Clean] // {cat. 093624949336} link

Studio Collection 2000-2012 (Apple Digital Master + 24-bit) // {cat. 093624945765} link

Minutes To Midnight (Deluxe Version) (Apple Digital Master + 24-bit) [Clean] // {14tr + NRL, ATL, cat. 093624948957} link
Minutes To Midnight (Deluxe Version) (Apple Digital Master + 24-bit) // {14tr + NRL, ATL, cat. 093624948971} link

Minutes To Midnight (Apple Digital Master + 24-bit) [Explicit] // {cat. 093624949343} link

The main reason why those 3 songs were mixed/mastered again is that probably the label couldn't find the original tracks properly mixed and mastered at 24-bit quality. Yes that was only the main reason. If that would be matter of delivering a standard 16-bit CD quality, the label could fix that within hours, because the lossless 16-bit source of all original versions of the tracks from 2007 still exists on physical releases (SOTD & NRL are on the MTM Tour Edition, ATL on LPU CD).

I would still consider to use by the label a 24-bit/48.0kHz source of SOTD original 2007 version from the DVD.

Shadow of the Day: Guitar that enters in the first chorus (absent from the previous "wrong" mix) is a different take, the tone is completely different and there are no sliding noises between the notes like there are on the original CD version. I'm not totally convinced it isn't a VST guitar sim replacing the original track. Other differences seem to be fixed.

*Edit* Haha, wow, this is 100% a re-recorded guitar part, it even plays a wrong note. On the "and the shadow of the day" lines in the choruses, it's supposed to follow the bass and go down to a G instead of going up to a D like it does on every other time through the progression, but it goes up to a D in that spot on this recording. I bet Mike re-recorded this recently because they couldn't find the original guitar track for whatever reason.

No Roads Left: Fixed! Yay!

Across the Line: Not fixed! Boo! The synth bass line that's supposed to come in at 0:21 is still absent. As far as I can tell nothing changed on this one whatsoever.

Yesterday I compared all the tracks only with the original versions, which were released in 2007, 2009 (that's why I heard the differences in the mix/master in ATL too), today I compared them with the previous iTunes mix, which I should already done in the first place too.

@Astat - Thank You!

This is a really interesting situation here. It's possible the 24 bit masters are completely lost and they had to re-record the guitar part? Maybe that's why it took them so long to replace this on SOTD.

How does Mike's hard drives/computer not have the original ProTools session files and all of the song files still there? Then you just mix down a "new" (same as 2007) version of the song. Why the need to re-record?

7 hours ago, Astat said:

Mike re-recorded this recently because they couldn't find the original guitar track for whatever reason

I swear that were exactly my thoughts when I listened to the snippet.

I wonder what's with JUST those three songs. Something must've went considerably wrong just after MTM was released to the public. Especially SOTD cause they didn't even have the right synths & strings for the guitar video game, which (I believe) came out 3 years after MTM.

also I bet they could've just asked the developer of that game for the guitar tracks. I think they should have them either individually or already mixed down. And I'm sure they would use the highest quality source they could get and compress the data themselves, not twice.

• 3 weeks later...