Argentina Sound Restrictions

hahninator

Hey guys, I thought I'd fill you in on some news regarding the Argentina show. After hearing the live videos of the show and wondering why the crowd was so much louder than the band, I did some investigating. Here's what Pooch (LP's live sound engineer) had to say about the show...

"I thought the band played awesome. In the city of Buenos Aires there is a new sound ordinance that prevents any outdoor show from being louder than 95dBC. A diesel truck that is 30ft away idling is approx 95dB. So you get the idea. This was a VERY soft show. Sometimes the crowd was TWICE as loud as the PA was. So from a sound perspective this is known as "un-inspiring". I know that some fans were complaining that they couldn't hear the band, etc. It made me so frustrated, because I know what they sound like when we can really ROCK the joint. If anyone on LP live or LPU want to know why the show was so quiet - feel free to post what I just said. The crew and the band were just as upset as the crowd was that we couldn't TURN IT UP. It was the government of Buenos Aires that wouldn't allow us to rock out. There were two guys with sound meters at FOH making sure that I did not break the rules, or they would stop the show.

So if the people want to have more rock shows that REALLY rock in Buenos Aires, they need to petition their local politicians to get this sound ordinance abolished."

Interesting! Thoughts?

I was gonna say, there had to be something going on, because you literally can't hear the band AT ALL on some of the Youtube videos shot from the nosebleed seats. That's a really lame way to start a tour, hopefully the band makes a statement by not going back to Buenos Aires until they change the ridiculous restrictions.

I saw some vids and it was really awesome when the crowd was singing. I'm really proud of fans who can totally rock out these performances. I don't mind if there would be a record of "only-crowd-sang" performance (as BA videos). That would really blow up my mind! : )

Yeah that sucks. There are restrictions on other venues though. Zurich, Switzerland's Hallenstadion has a really big one on it...the show I went to was pretty quiet and Pooch explained why afterward when I had just witnessed him CRANKING it in Graz, Austria a few days beforehand.

Tampa, Florida's amphitheatre is the same due to a neighborhood being nearby.

I was gonna say, there had to be something going on, because you literally can't hear the band AT ALL on some of the Youtube videos shot from the nosebleed seats. That's a really lame way to start a tour, hopefully the band makes a statement by not going back to Buenos Aires until they change the ridiculous restrictions.

Well, I don't really know what you gain when you make that statement, because frankly, the B.A goverment couldn't care less about it and you are just making the Argentinian fan base unhappy.

------------------------------------------------

To give you guys a little information about this, the B.A goverment is very strict with this because they have a commitment (one that I don't agree) with enviromental security.

This starts with the sound and the effects that the jumping has on the floor and nearby buildings, lots of neighbours have complained to the local goverment and asked to remove concerts (This is one of the main reasons that the Concert wasn't made in the "Monumental" where every big band has their show) and they had to did it in the "Velez" stadium.

In fact they have conducted studies about it and but they are hesitant of not allowing anymore concerts because of the profit they gain, in fact some bands like U2 have said that if they can't play there they won't play.

Just to show some of the studies they have done:

This is a VERY interesting topic to me. I'm studying a module at university about sound levels and how they are important to us. Especially in health and safety and keeping our ears undamaged. I won't carry on. The rules are there for a reason!

Just to give them some credit, I went to see Metallica there (Anyone who went to a Metallica concert knows that the audio is one of the best if not the best in the bussiness), without sound restrictions and we were louder than the PA, and it wasn't because the mixing wasn't right, I testified it being there, listening the concert later with the official audio (.flac) and the TV broadcast, South American crowds are crazy.

That sucks hairy penis warts.

....until they change the ridiculous restrictions.

Yeah that sucks.

Wow, this sucks. Thanks for posting :)

fucking Goverment!

:o

this sucks ! It's a ROCK concert dammit ! It's supposed to be loud...

This!

What's the point of having a rock concert in your town if you don't let them rock?!

OK. All of you....you don't FUCKING know what you're talking about. Maybe some of you will think I'm an ass or whatever, but I totally support the Argentina governement on this one.

Do you know music at too loud level can destroy your ears? Basically, do you know what tinnitus is? Probably no. Tinnitus is a constant ringing in your ears, and once you have it, it's for the rest of your life. I have a "soft" tinnitus, due to listening to music at super heavy level. But I'm not here to complain about myself, that would be ridiculous. The fact is, I've always hate all the bastards who put the music at super super loud level during live shows, and who endanger everyone health because "loud = fun". I know its more fun...but what's the point of destroying its entire life for 1 show? I don't talk about myself (like I've said, my tinnitus is soft), but some guys have commit suicide because they couldn't live with an alarm in their head. People taking restrictions about sound level during live show are getting lot of insults in this thread, but do you think those restrictions are really useless? Do you think there mind is like "Ok, let's go soft, that will piss people off! Great!".

Now I'm not saying live shows all should be very soft, because THAT would be boring. But fuck, 95 db is already loud. Max 105 db. But after, it's just stupid...

OK. All of you....you don't FUCKING know what you're talking about. Maybe some of you will think I'm an ass or whatever, but I totally support the Argentina governement on this one.

Do you know music at too loud level can destroy your ears? Basically, do you know what tinnitus is? Probably no. Tinnitus is a constant ringing in your ears, and once you have it, it's for the rest of your life. I have a "soft" tinnitus, due to listening to music at super heavy level. But I'm not here to complain about myself, that would be ridiculous. The fact is, I've always hate all the bastards who put the music at super super loud level during live shows, and who endanger everyone health because "loud = fun". I know its more fun...but what's the point of destroying its entire life for 1 show? I don't talk about myself (like I've said, my tinnitus is soft), but some guys have commit suicide because they couldn't live with an alarm in their head. People taking restrictions about sound level during live show are getting lot of insults in this thread, but do you think those restrictions are really useless? Do you think there mind is like "Ok, let's go soft, that will piss people off! Great!".

Now I'm not saying live shows all should be very soft, because THAT would be boring. But fuck, 95 db is already loud. Max 105 db. But after, it's just stupid...

maybe too loud music isn't good for my ears, but too low music isn't enjoyable. That's it!