Argentina Sound Restrictions

hahninator

Do you know music at too loud level can destroy your ears? Basically, do you know what tinnitus is? Probably no. Tinnitus is a constant ringing in your ears, and once you have it, it's for the rest of your life. I have a "soft" tinnitus, due to listening to music at super heavy level. But I'm not here to complain about myself, that would be ridiculous. The fact is, I've always hate all the bastards who put the music at super super loud level during live shows, and who endanger everyone health because "loud = fun". I know its more fun...but what's the point of destroying its entire life for 1 show? I don't talk about myself (like I've said, my tinnitus is soft), but some guys have commit suicide because they couldn't live with an alarm in their head. People taking restrictions about sound level during live show are getting lot of insults in this thread, but do you think those restrictions are really useless? Do you think there mind is like "Ok, let's go soft, that will piss people off! Great!".

Now I'm not saying live shows all should be very soft, because THAT would be boring. But fuck, 95 db is already loud. Max 105 db. But after, it's just stupid...

Well, I think everyone is responsible for himself. On every ticket you can read "Loud music can destroy your ears" and things like that. So if you attend a concert you know what to expect. :)

OK. All of you....you don't FUCKING know what you're talking about. Maybe some of you will think I'm an ass or whatever, but I totally support the Argentina governement on this one.

Do you know music at too loud level can destroy your ears? etc. etc.

It's a rock concert, it's SUPPOSED to destroy your ears. If people want to listen to their music loudly, it's their own damn choice. It's not for any gov't to meddle in, good intentions or not.

Well, I think everyone is responsible for himself. On every ticket you can read "Loud music can destroy your ears" and things like that. So if you attend a concert you know what to expect. :)

Hmmmm...not really. Generally, people don't realize what are the risks until they actually have problems. That's why I think those restrictions are really good and safe. Maybe they were a little too strong in Argentina, but every concert should have sound restriction rules.

It's a rock concert, it's SUPPOSED to destroy your ears. If people want to listen to their music loudly, it's their own damn choice. It's not for any gov't to meddle in, good intentions or not.

Don't want to offend you or anything, but I was thinking the same way when I was 15. Now I have some regrets. If you want to destroy your ears, that's your problem,; but some other people might want to go to a show, have fun, and be safe at the same time. There's a difference between loud, and super extra uber fucking heavy loud. Edited by Qwerty18

Do you know music at too loud level can destroy your ears? Basically, do you know what tinnitus is? Probably no. Tinnitus is a constant ringing in your ears, and once you have it, it's for the rest of your life. I have a "soft" tinnitus, due to listening to music at super heavy level. But I'm not here to complain about myself, that would be ridiculous. The fact is, I've always hate all the bastards who put the music at super super loud level during live shows, and who endanger everyone health because "loud = fun". I know its more fun...but what's the point of destroying its entire life for 1 show? I don't talk about myself (like I've said, my tinnitus is soft), but some guys have commit suicide because they couldn't live with an alarm in their head. People taking restrictions about sound level during live show are getting lot of insults in this thread, but do you think those restrictions are really useless? Do you think there mind is like "Ok, let's go soft, that will piss people off! Great!".

Now I'm not saying live shows all should be very soft, because THAT would be boring. But fuck, 95 db is already loud. Max 105 db. But after, it's just stupid...

In general, that's a risk most people attending a rock concert want to take.

OK. All of you....you don't FUCKING know what you're talking about. Maybe some of you will think I'm an ass or whatever, but I totally support the Argentina governement on this one.

I've been a musician for 10 years (16 if you count when I started singing). My family's musical heritage goes back at least 3 generations. My dad's a drummer who's had tinnitus for longer than I've been alive. I'm already developing tinnitus myself, from years of listening to loud music in headphones, and my telemarketing job (where I make phone calls wearing a headset 5 hours a day, 6 days a week) probably isn't helping either. Needless to say, I know a thing or two about it. I also know that any concert-goer is inherently assuming that risk by attending a show. You're more at risk of developing tinnitus by listening to music in headphones than you are by going to a loud concert. Loud sounds in high concentration at close proximity are what cause tinnitus in most people. That's why my dad's tinnitus is far worse in his left ear - being a drummer, having his hi-hat ringing in his left ear all the time brought it on. A 2-hour outdoor concert at between 100-110 dB isn't highly concentrated because the open air dissipates the sound, and it isn't in close proximity for anyone except those who are directly in front of the PA stacks (and even then, it's nowhere near as bad for their ears as headphones).

I guarantee that nobody in the history of mankind has ever developed tinnitus just from going to one loud concert. And like I already said, frequent concert-goers should be held responsible for taking that risk. As for noise restrictions, I've always been a staunch supporter of the concept of "not on your property, not your problem." If you don't like living next to a concert venue, move. They're entitled to be there just as much as you are, and they're also entitled to do what it takes to maintain a healthy business. Booking a world-renowned act like Linkin Park and then being forced to keep their PA volume at such a low level that the people way in the back can't hear anything is not a good way to maintain a healthy business. 95 dB is PATHETICALLY soft compared to most concerts (according to the American Tinnitus Association, 95 dB is comparable to the noise from an MRI machine at any hospital), the industry average is around 110. Most governments get it - the industry average is what it is for a reason: It works. It's loud enough to fill pretty much any venue, but it's not painfully loud to the point that it damages people's ears. Then you have the occasional politicians who probably have ulterior motives ("rock and roll is the devil's music!") who push for noise restrictions for no reason other than to shut down as many concerts and parties as possible. Of course, that wouldn't go over well with the general public, so they use "noise pollution" (one of the most laughably absurd phrases ever coined) as a front to get people to agree with it.

People going to concerts should be held responsible for the risk of hearing damage. The government shouldn't need to "protect" people from something that's completely voluntary in the first place.

I've been a musician for 10 years (16 if you count when I started singing). My family's musical heritage goes back at least 3 generations. My dad's a drummer who's had tinnitus for longer than I've been alive. I'm already developing tinnitus myself, from years of listening to loud music in headphones, and my telemarketing job (where I make phone calls wearing a headset 5 hours a day, 6 days a week) probably isn't helping either. Needless to say, I know a thing or two about it.

So ok, seeing all the reactions concluding "It sucks" didn't help me to consider your first post seriously. Sorry for that.

You're more at risk of developing tinnitus by listening to music in headphones than you are by going to a loud concert. Loud sounds in high concentration at close proximity are what cause tinnitus in most people. That's why my dad's tinnitus is far worse in his left ear - being a drummer, having his hi-hat ringing in his left ear all the time brought it on. A 2-hour outdoor concert at between 100-110 dB isn't highly concentrated because the open air dissipates the sound, and it isn't in close proximity for anyone except those who are directly in front of the PA stacks (and even then, it's nowhere near as bad for their ears as headphones).

I can assure you that the worse tinnitus sufferers are "victims" from concerts. First, headphones sound level is often regulated to 90-100 db max (in Europe, at least), whereas live shows top the 110 and sometines 120 db. Then, with headphones, you generally turn up the sound level progressively. But, in concerts, it all goes right away in your face. A "booooooooummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!" is less dangerous than a "BoooooooooMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" for the ear, because she has the time to get used to the loudness. Yes, headphones are maybe causing more ear problems than concerts, but concerts are generally causing worse problems. Tinnitus, but also hyperacusis (can't hear a sound without suffering).

Most governments get it - the industry average is what it is for a reason: It works. It's loud enough to fill pretty much any venue, but it's not painfully loud to the point that it damages people's ears.

You're right. I have to admit that, yes, 95 db was particulary soft for a show. I'm not against concerts at 100-105 db (even though I always wear ear protections), they're more fun and people at the back can actually hear the band for the performance they've paid for. It's logical. What pisses me off was the reactions on this thread, which seemed to say "Fuck sound restrictions! The louder, the better!". Sound restrictions can be useful, if they aren't too severe

Then you have the occasional politicians who probably have ulterior motives ("rock and roll is the devil's music!") who push for noise restrictions for no reason other than to shut down as many concerts and parties as possible. Of course, that wouldn't go over well with the general public, so they use "noise pollution" (one of the most laughably absurd phrases ever coined) as a front to get people to agree with it.

If this is a reason for restrictions, it's clearly a bad reason. However, second time I will say it, live shows can be very very very dangerous and I know there are restrictions because of that. In Belgium, a lot of parties can't go over 105db, not because David Guetta is evil, but to protect everyone health.

People going to concerts should be held responsible for the risk of hearing damage. The government shouldn't need to "protect" people from something that's completely voluntary in the first place.

Ok, but then, there should be way more advertisment to prevent people from noise danger. Edited by Qwerty18

not to sound sarcastic but wouldnt putting on earplugs help? Ive done it a few times. Saw Coheed back to back days and the first night my ears kept ringing. Then the next night i wore an earplug and i was fine.

So ok, seeing all the reactions concluding "It sucks" didn't help me to consider your first post seriously. Sorry for that.

I can assure you that the worse tinnitus sufferers are "victims" from concerts. First, headphones sound level is often regulated to 90-100 db max (in Europe, at least), whereas live shows top the 110 and sometines 120 db. Then, with headphones, you generally turn up the sound level progressively. But, in concerts, it all goes right away in your face. A "booooooooummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!" is less dangerous than a "BoooooooooMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" for the ear, because she has the time to get used to the loudness. Yes, headphones are maybe causing more ear problems than concerts, but concerts are generally causing worse problems. Tinnitus, but also hyperacusis (can't hear a sound without suffering).

You're right. I have to admit that, yes, 95 db was particulary soft for a show. I'm not against concerts at 100-105 db (even though I always wear ear protections), they're more fun and people at the back can actually hear the band for the performance they've paid for. It's logical. What pisses me off was the reactions on this thread, which seemed to say "Fuck sound restrictions! The louder, the better!". Sound restrictions can be useful, if they aren't too severe

If this is a reason for restrictions, it's clearly a bad reason. However, second time I will say it, live shows can be very very very dangerous and I know there are restrictions because of that. In Belgium, a lot of parties can't go over 105db, not because David Guetta is evil, but to protect everyone health.

Ok, but then, there should be way more advertisment to prevent people from noise danger.

For a lot of people, like me, going to a concert is an annual event. Heck, it's more of an every other year kind of thing. Going to one fucking concert isn't going to give you tinnitus. That's impossible. Now, if you go to a concert once a week (which a very tiny fraction of people do) then you have an argument.

This is outrageous in my opinion. I can't help but feel sorry for the fans. You wait 10 years and this is what they get? Their government is much too over protective if you ask me. Like Astat said, let the people make their own damn decisions.

The problem is that the government in Argentina is destroying the culture in the country. And is not just Buenos Aires government, is the national government also. First, they decided that any ROCK BAND can play in the "Monumental" again (this is the biggest stadium of Buenos Aires and one of the biggest in Latin America, all the biggest bands of the world play here), there was no problem with pop acts, such as Jonas Brothers. Actually LP was going to be playing in this stadium, but they have to change it to Velez, the same as Green Day, and U2 already say that if is not allowed to be played in this stadium they will not play in the country at all. Then, due to the reactions of the people and the artists, they decide to "change" this law, this consists that the bands can play on the "Monumental", but from now on they will have to be sits, i mean, no more moshpits and no more people stand up, the same with the volume regulations.

Edited by XeroSoldier

I guarantee that nobody in the history of mankind has ever developed tinnitus just from going to one loud concert.

You´re missing the point. The restriction is not to protect those who attend the concert but to avoid disturbing those living close to the venue. Consider the fact that the show was on a thursday, that many people around the stadium do have to wake up at 5 or 6 am to get to work and so on.

The sound was horrible close to the stage, you could barely listen to Mike for example. But the farther you went from the stage they sounded better. The sound of the opening bands was fine, only LP sounded kinda weird.

Well, i was in the Concert but not in the field i was in the side seats because i was in the M&G too.

Let me tell you that in songs like Wretches And Kings, Given Up, In The End, Crawling, and specially songs like Faint or One Step Closer, the earth shook, all were jumping a lot and was really insane.

About the sound, for me was perfect. Some people don't know that was a day with, rain and a lot of wind and that was a important factor in the Show. From the day before to the show was raining, for moments a lot, and in the night of the show was a lot of wind and that affects the sound too...

You´re missing the point. The restriction is not to protect those who attend the concert but to avoid disturbing those living close to the venue. Consider the fact that the show was on a thursday, that many people around the stadium do have to wake up at 5 or 6 am to get to work and so on.

The sound was horrible close to the stage, you could barely listen to Mike for example. But the farther you went from the stage they sounded better. The sound of the opening bands was fine, only LP sounded kinda weird.

Put it in perspective: Do you think they'd be so strict about those noise restrictions if it was a home soccer game for Argentina going on at that stadium at the same time on a Thursday night? Of course not. They only enforce noise restrictions as they see fit. That's how it always is. My friends in Berea have the cops up their asses all the time for jamming in the garage on their own private property when the Cleveland Browns football training camp is like 2 blocks away and considerably louder on any given night in the summer. Politicians only create noise restrictions to deter "nuisances" like live music, but they turn a blind eye to how loud sporting events get because they're a "source of community pride" or some lame excuse like that.

Well, i just registered to add a thing that a fellow who came from the US noticed and told me... and i think he is right...

95db would be OK, but you have always to consider that when bands come to play here, they are available to play only in open stadiums. If it was in a theater like the Luna Park, I think that everyone would have been happy.

I was on the top south side of the stadium, the one which was more disadvantaged, and you could REALLY feel how the wind changed the direction of the sound. And it was a normal windy night :P

The sound was low anyway. But, as i told everyone, the band played awesome... Great performance. Fucking great performance.