DBS Backing Track?

hahninator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jH2sGkcKeI

EDIT: Link fixed

Last night Dead By Sunrise played in Gelsenkirchen, Germany at the Veltins-Arena as a part of the Stock Car Crash Challenge. Check out the video, it seems the organizers had the band pull a "Top Of The Pops" and had Chester & Ryan sing over a backing instrumental of 'Crawl Back In'.

Interesting. I'm not insulting the band or anything (I have no idea if it was their decision or not), of course. To my knowledge, though, this is the first time any LP-related act has done this on a performance. First time for everything!

Thoughts? Hopefully we'll get an HD source / better source for it soon. I'll also update the Dead By Sunrise pages later today...

EDIT by LESTAT:

People, read closely. Chester and Ryan sang live. It was not lip-syncing. The instruments were playback.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo mark.. the show is still on.. this wasn't last night ;)

there is no HD.. pro7 is not aired in HD as far as I know

BUT all bands tonight did playback, DBS was the only with LIVE vocals!

the rest did full playback

Edited by BlackChester

That's never a smart move for a band to do. Let's just hope there was some hardcore editing done!

This happens FAR more frequently than you probably realize. Tons of bands use backing tracks for televised performances, sometimes fully lip-synced, sometimes with live vocals over a canned instrumental.

There are a variety of reasons that this can happen, sometimes the locations where televised performances are recorded aren't set up to handle a full live band setup (they don't have a large PA system/board that can handle very many inputs, stuff like that), sometimes the station just wants the band's performance to be better than usual (both by sounding better and the band being able to put more energy into their performance since they don't have to worry about playing their parts correctly - win/win situation for the TV station), and sometimes it's almost a form of censorship - they don't want a band to "sabatoge" the performance. Nirvana was notorious for doing this, when they played Top of the Pops, they were forced to play to a backing track, but Kurt convinced the station to let them do live vocals...and this was the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtehDIWrX5U

Its a stockcar crash challenge with "celebreties" of Germany :D So they drive in a circle and crash each other for points and so on....its an event by one of the best moderators in Germany (Stefan Raab) and of course there are music acts there was DBS ...yes they did play ONE song...the video was uploaded sooo quick...the show ends in a few minutes I think...im still watching...nice work :D

This happens FAR more frequently than you probably realize. Tons of bands use backing tracks for televised performances, sometimes fully lip-synced, sometimes with live vocals over a canned instrumental.

There are a variety of reasons that this can happen, sometimes the locations where televised performances are recorded aren't set up to handle a full live band setup (they don't have a large PA system/board that can handle very many inputs, stuff like that), sometimes the station just wants the band's performance to be better than usual (both by sounding better and the band being able to put more energy into their performance since they don't have to worry about playing their parts correctly - win/win situation for the TV station), and sometimes it's almost a form of censorship - they don't want a band to "sabatoge" the performance. Nirvana was notorious for doing this, when they played Top of the Pops, they were forced to play to a backing track, but Kurt convinced the station to let them do live vocals...and this was the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtehDIWrX5U

I know how often that happens thank you. I've already seen that Nirvana video... saw it years ago. I stand by my statement. It's never a smart move for a band to do. I don't understand how that translates to "Hmm... that doesn't happen very often."

I know how often that happens thank you. I've already seen that Nirvana video... saw it years ago. I stand by my statement. It's never a smart move for a band to do. I don't understand how that translates to "Hmm... that doesn't happen very often."

Why is it "not a smart move" if it's something so commonplace that virtually every band that's ever been big enough to be on a televised performance in the first place has done it at some point? It's no worse than fixing mistakes in the DSPs, really.

I just came back from the event and I guess their amp's couldn't make a good sound for this huge arena. I just saw the guys didn't even have their pedals and noone tuned the guitars on stage. They just checked the microphone.

The other acts had instrumentals as well, therefore I think it wasn't their decision.

ah, and I don't know how the tv recording is yet, but the vocals were awful in the arena. Ryans background vox was way too loud... I'll watch what you saw tomorrow... Going to bed now, as it's 1.45 AM in Germany right now.

I think I could have found a better way to spend my money...

Edited by NoSunToday

Why is it "not a smart move" if it's something so commonplace that virtually every band that's ever been big enough to be on a televised performance in the first place has done it at some point? It's no worse than fixing mistakes in the DSPs, really.

Because they're standing there jamming on their instruments like something's actually happening. They're basically acting. On the DSPs, yes they did edit them and correct them to make them sound better but at least they had the decency to actually perform instead of act like they're filming a music video.

Because they're standing there jamming on their instruments like something's actually happening. They're basically acting. On the DSPs, yes they did edit them and correct them to make them sound better but at least they had the decency to actually perform instead of act like they're filming a music video.

Absolutely agree. It's acting. It's fake. It's not really happening.

Its not that its not a smart move and i can understand why they do it. I have friends who say they would rather listen to the polished album version then have a band mess around with their song on stage. and the live sound is raw and rough and many people dont like it. and mass media wants everything nice and clean. it just takes away from the actual "performance aspect that we love" which sux.