New Shinoda Interview @ Billboard

hahninator

Mike just did a new video interview with Billboard.com, which you can find here. It looks like it was filmed at his recent Glorious Excess art show.

"I don't think it's indicative of where the next record is going," Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda says of "New Divide".

"We mentally want to get back to [2000's "Hybrid Theory"] not because we want to sound like [that], because I don't think we do," Shinoda says of the forthcoming Linkin Park album, which they aim to release in the first half of 2010. "But we want to make this record a record with identity, hopefully not one you've heard before. One you can listen to and say, 'That's brand new... It's definitely Linkin Park, but it's definitely different.'"

A "different" sounding album. Sounds exciting!

Ah no, no sarcasm. Tried to be enthusiastic but I guess it came off as sarcastic LOL.

I hope the album is a "darker" sound, kind of similar to Move On by Fort Minor. Something like that would be cool. I'd like a nice mix of rap-based songs and rock-based songs - something we haven't had before. HT and Meteora were the rock songs mixed with the rap/rock nu-metal sound, but I think if Mike did a song for an LP CD that sounded like it was entirely for FM, it'd be badass.

To me, since 2000 i heard LP, i feel like if i was grow up with there sounds even if some songs really borring me... ok actually only one: shadow of the day :lol:

I trust in the LP work to give us an excellent album !!

it's maybe because i don't expecting nothing from this album that i will be happy of it! and i just want they will surprise me as they do with there past 3 albums...

It's too long to wait 2010 :( !!!

that sounds very nice!! go back to the old times!!! can't wait to hear the new LP stuff, in the mean time i gonna listen to DBS and the old LP stuff!!

he doesnt mean that theyre gonna sound like HT he just means that when HT came out it was something different and they want to do that "something different" with this album.

Indeed, nice you brought it up

i would like to see more solos too :P

It's also a good thing they set their mindstate on going back to Hybrid Theory

Because it had differents sounds and you could tell every song matches the album and that caught our attention from front to back. And to come with something unique and different than instead the same 'ol same.

I was also pleased Mike covered the Fort Minor thing 2

example the new P.O.A intro beat sounded cool but it was not Fort Minor material

in my opion it was more an LP kinda beat

but it's cool to hear some beats from Mike wether the are Fort Minor oriëntated or Linkin Park oriëntated.

I think New Divide is something like "what i've done" (the transition)

What i've done was a transition from stuff they did in the past but had something of its down

New Divide the same thing, it does have the Linkin Park sound but you can tell is different.

perhaps the new album will contains some of New Divide elements.

But thanks for posting this interview

I agree, it seems like What I've Done was more of a goodbye to Hybrid Theory and hello to M2M. New Divide seems to contain some elements of What I've Done but still keep the atmosphere of Minutes To Midnight. To me it's a mix of both sounds of LP, which is why I love it so much.

Personally I'd like to see a Hybrid Theory sound with the Minutes To Midnight atmosphere. Brad needs to bust out more solos!

just as long as the solos arent like most guitar solos which dont even suit the song and are just there for the guitarist to show off or to make the song longer

Ah no, no sarcasm. Tried to be enthusiastic but I guess it came off as sarcastic LOL.

I hope the album is a "darker" sound, kind of similar to Move On by Fort Minor. Something like that would be cool. I'd like a nice mix of rap-based songs and rock-based songs - something we haven't had before. HT and Meteora were the rock songs mixed with the rap/rock nu-metal sound, but I think if Mike did a song for an LP CD that sounded like it was entirely for FM, it'd be badass.

darker? fort minor ? nah

i would love a HTEP meets MTM.

the HTEP had some darker songs...

that would be insane.

I remember Mike saying when they were asked to use a song for T2, all the stuff they had felt too "introverted" for a mainstream movie.

Sounds dark to me.

I wish he would stop saying the same things slightly re-worded every interview. It makes everything he says stick in people's mind yes, but maybe say something slightly different next time, how many months has he been saying this is gonna be a new sound now ?

Wrong, fm type songs are a must.

It's like the only time you post is when it has something to do with FM, or you bring up FM in irrelevant topics. I'm sure the new album will have rapping on it, especially after what Mike has been saying. Relax. Maybe Mike might even do full vocals on one of the song, just for you. :rolleyes:

I wish he would stop saying the same things slightly re-worded every interview. It makes everything he says stick in people's mind yes, but maybe say something slightly different next time, how many months has he been saying this is gonna be a new sound now ?

I agree....Chester has also been saying the same thing every interview about wanting to create something new. They say that every album. Lol.

Edited by Geki

darker? fort minor ? nah

i would love a HTEP meets MTM.

the HTEP had some darker songs...

that would be insane.

Yeh forget what other people say, this really would be epic.

LP should complete shed away their poppy/radio friendly style (see Numb, LOATR etc) & go completly the other way.

Imagine the styles of "Part of me" combined with TLTGYA. Insanely powerfull.

Sure this enevitably would make it their least comercial album ever, but it'll certainly be their best.

I pretty skeptical at this point. I'm currently starting to listen to different music and not LP, If this LP album doesn't feel like enough, I think LP may lose me as a fan.

Sometimes I feel like that but I think that's because they've released 3 original full length albums in 10 years. There's just not enough material to hold interests. I think releasing more material will get me back in love with this band though because they do make some good tunes.

It's like the only time you post is when it has something to do with FM, or you bring up FM in irrelevant topics. I'm sure the new album will have rapping on it, especially after what Mike has been saying. Relax. Maybe Mike might even do full vocals on one of the song, just for you. :rolleyes:

Well the time before he said he tried to rap over stuff and it sounded cheesy and cliche so that's why I'm skeptical. I think you have to agree that they're there best when mike and chester are both involved vocally.