• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, xeroboi said:

Where's could have been 

Very first setlist with Chester 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, lpliveusername said:

02. Papercut [guitar/beat instrumental demo]

So out of curiosity is there bass in this as well or just only guitars? I'm wondering becuase i want to create a concept on how these would sound so i would like to know if I should add bass to this papercut or not 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm taking the list by  @lpliveusername trying to share my thoughts on what I think we already have from Jeff demos (bold text):

Xero - 1997 Mike Shinoda (from photo):

01. Fuse

02. Reading My Eyes

03. Stick N Move

First Xero demo he heard:

01. Fuse

02. [Untitled Track]

03. Stick And Move

04. Reading My Eyes

November 1997, baby cover: (obviously)

01. Rhinestone

02. Reading My Eyes (even remastered on HT20)

03. Fuse

04. Stick N Move

Xero (from photo):

01. Rhinestone

02. Dreamer

03. Weight

August 25, 1998 demo produced by Darryl Swan at Paramount Recording Studios (Studio C)

[Fiends from Rapology 14 likely from this demo]

November 17, 1998 demo CD:

01. Rhinestone

02. Esaul

03. Pictureboard

04. Fiends (I believe they reused the R14 one)

05. Stick N Move (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

06. Carousel

07. Slip (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

08. Step Up

First demo CD with Chester [early May 1999]:

01. Over To Me (Blue)

02. Could Have Been

03. Rhinestone

04. Esaul

05. Part Of Me

06. Turn To Grey

07. Pictureboard

08. Ashes (Unfinished)

Studio time with Mudrock in June 1999 for about a week [Hybrid Theory EP]

9-track demo CD, week of August 16, 1999: (pretty sure that's the "Forgotten Demos" source or each is at least on one of the leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled

xx. Points Of Authority

xx. Super Xero

xx. I Hate You/Crawling

Random mentions:

It Doesn't Matter [Untitled]

Flower [early She Couldn't]

Brad and Mike flew to New York to work with the Dust Brothers in September/October 1999 and did an early version of With You with only rap vocals. The demo was called Dust Brothers because it was meant for the Dust Brothers album.

Don Gilmore received the first demo from the band in November 1999: (Probably also on the actually leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Crawling (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Dust Brothers (Not sure about this one though - it has changed quite a bit)

xx. Points Of Authority (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

Early March [first week] demo CD:

01. Plaster [no bridge]

Recording at NRG started on March 7, 2000 (what did they do the first week besides setting up? Guide tracks in a live take?) and was scheduled for a month and a half. Rob's drum recording schedule for Hybrid Theory:

March 14, 2000:
Harmonic Song (same as Runaway: If we don't consider Rob back in studio after Mar 17th - this should be Crawling)
Pictureboard
By Myself
Plaster
Papercut
Rhinestone (Forgotten)

And One

March 15, 2000:
Untitled
Esaul (A Place For My Head)
Dust Bros.

Stick N Move (maybe this is what's on HT:20 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)

March 16, 2000:
Stick N Move (continued from 3/15) (I believe they used this for Runaway - if Rob didn't have to record once more after the SnM was completed, 'cause of Don)
Slip (maybe this is what's on HT:20/LPU11 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)
A Place For My Head

March 17, 2000:
Points Of Authority
Pushing Me Away
Now I See

what do you guys think? is this anywhere near accurate?

Edited by LPsMart

59 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

Harmonic Song (same as Runaway: If we don't consider Rob back in studio after Mar 17th - this should be Crawling)

Crawling already had a name before March 2000. It's on a January 2000 demo CD under the name Crawling. It is unlikely that Harmonic Song is Crawling. It could be Pushing Me Away since it was the last song (besides maybe Cure for the Itch?) written for Hybrid Theory.

Just now, LPLStaff said:

Crawling already had a name before March 2000. It's on a January 2000 demo CD under the name Crawling. It is unlikely that Harmonic Song is Crawling. It could be Pushing Me Away since it was the last song (besides maybe Cure for the Itch?) written for Hybrid Theory.

I know that it had a name before, but it's the only song not mentioned on the list. It does not have harmonics (overtones) in it (which PMA does), BUT it is the only song besides PMA to have a second guitar playing a harmony over it, making it a harmonic song. (I know it is only a vague idea but hey..)

6 hours ago, LPsMart said:

I'm taking the list by  @lpliveusername trying to share my thoughts on what I think we already have from Jeff demos (bold text):

Xero - 1997 Mike Shinoda (from photo):

01. Fuse

02. Reading My Eyes

03. Stick N Move

First Xero demo he heard:

01. Fuse

02. [Untitled Track]

03. Stick And Move

04. Reading My Eyes

November 1997, baby cover: (obviously)

01. Rhinestone

02. Reading My Eyes (even remastered on HT20)

03. Fuse

04. Stick N Move

Xero (from photo):

01. Rhinestone

02. Dreamer

03. Weight

August 25, 1998 demo produced by Darryl Swan at Paramount Recording Studios (Studio C)

[Fiends from Rapology 14 likely from this demo]

November 17, 1998 demo CD:

01. Rhinestone

02. Esaul

03. Pictureboard

04. Fiends (I believe they reused the R14 one)

05. Stick N Move (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

06. Carousel

07. Slip (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

08. Step Up

First demo CD with Chester [early May 1999]:

01. Over To Me (Blue)

02. Could Have Been

03. Rhinestone

04. Esaul

05. Part Of Me

06. Turn To Grey

07. Pictureboard

08. Ashes (Unfinished)

Studio time with Mudrock in June 1999 for about a week [Hybrid Theory EP]

9-track demo CD, week of August 16, 1999: (pretty sure that's the "Forgotten Demos" source or each is at least on one of the leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled

xx. Points Of Authority

xx. Super Xero

xx. I Hate You/Crawling

Random mentions:

It Doesn't Matter [Untitled]

Flower [early She Couldn't]

Brad and Mike flew to New York to work with the Dust Brothers in September/October 1999 and did an early version of With You with only rap vocals. The demo was called Dust Brothers because it was meant for the Dust Brothers album.

Don Gilmore received the first demo from the band in November 1999: (Probably also on the actually leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Crawling (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Dust Brothers (Not sure about this one though - it has changed quite a bit)

xx. Points Of Authority (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

Early March [first week] demo CD:

01. Plaster [no bridge]

Recording at NRG started on March 7, 2000 (what did they do the first week besides setting up? Guide tracks in a live take?) and was scheduled for a month and a half. Rob's drum recording schedule for Hybrid Theory:

March 14, 2000:
Pictureboard
By Myself
Plaster
Papercut
Rhinestone (Forgotten)

And One

March 15, 2000:
Untitled
Esaul (A Place For My Head)
Dust Bros.

Stick N Move (maybe this is what's on HT:20 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)

March 16, 2000:
Stick N Move (continued from 3/15) (I believe they used this for Runaway - if Rob didn't have to record once more after the SnM was completed, 'cause of Don)
Slip (maybe this is what's on HT:20/LPU11 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)
A Place For My Head

March 17, 2000:
Points Of Authority
Pushing Me Away
Now I See

Nice job dude!

On 2/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, jopevc said:

Alright I'm pretty sure it's not from those recording sessions.
No live drums, which doesn't make sense if Rob in fact had recorded some.

Totally different guitar tone to the album and also not as polished as later recordings (tone-wise of course not as good as the HT masters but I mean rather guitar song writing - e.g. the lick before the last chorus is sounding like something Brad would have improved on later on.

The harmony vocals are even a little louder than the main vocals, which makes me believe this is rather a home recording they did.

Also the vocals are a little flat here and there which is a big no-no on album takes. They're not even edited.
I think that's enough reasons.

Yeah, Mike said Slip was in the first batch of songs they did with Chester. If you read the book, when Jeff got that first CD with Chester, Brad told him they might record Slip with Chester. Apparently Jeff liked the song. It was probably right after that. Either Jeff doesn't have a CD with it or it is one of the CDs we don't have a tracklist. Note we don't have any tracklists with Flower or Stick N Move either. I believe the recording of Slip we have was in the same disc as Esaul, Blue and likely So Far Away. If I recall correctly, in the Hybrid Theory 20 book, Rob said the version of Stick N Move we got was recorded in early 2000 just so they could bring it to Don Gilmore.

Something I noticed: Caught Out There by Kelis was released in September 1999, but according to the book, the demo of Crawling with a line from that song was recorded around August. The only explanation I can think of is that they got an advanced version of the album or single since her song was recorded in 1998.

13 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Yeah, Mike said Slip was in the first batch of songs they did with Chester. If you read the book, when Jeff got that first CD with Chester, Brad told him they might record Slip with Chester. Apparently Jeff liked the song. It was probably right after that. Either Jeff doesn't have a CD with it or it is one of the CDs we don't have a tracklist. Note we don't have any tracklists with Flower or Stick N Move either. I believe the recording of Slip we have was in the same disc as Esaul, Blue and likely So Far Away. If I recall correctly, in the Hybrid Theory 20 book, Rob said the version of Stick N Move we got was recorded in early 2000 just so they could bring it to Don Gilmore.

I think so too. I believe there has to be another demo, from Chester's very early days. Like rerecording the Xero CD with Chester and that's it. I think So Far Away should be on there too. I suppose it was written right after they fired Mark and then Chester hopped on there to do his very few lines. Also I think Flower was never recorded onto CD, I think it was just between Emo and She Couldn't and since it was a pretty song they called it Flower for the time being. I think it's just a literal working title for the project of this song before the vocals finally came together. To me it sounds like they put Brad and Joe on Emo and called it Flower before Chester and Mike wrote lyrics, like it's obvious that version could never have been on a demo CD, 'cause that would've been like "Ashes", which I still don't understand why they included it before finishing beforehand.

1 hour ago, Metheory said:

what is "Flower"?

An early demo of She Couldn't

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Blue can probably leak those Xero tracks. It would have to be leaked somewhere private or somewhere public while Jeff Blue being anonymous. Warner doesn't care about Mark Wakefield.

There's no way Jeff Blue an leak any Hybrid Theory/Linkin Park tracks. He would be at the mercy of Warner. Warner cares about Chester Bennington.

Edited by NJPLP