New Xero Titles: "Dreamer" and "Weight"

lpliveusername

15 hours ago, Robrobbsen said:

Interesting, She Couldn´t was always really interresting for me. The guitar part and overall structure was very different for LP at that time.

yeah me too. I like to believe that apart from the Emo demo (bars???), Flower was the actual thing with live instrumental ideas behind that. like Sky and Crawling are the same thing but actually not really

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

yeah me too. I like to believe that apart from the Emo demo (bars???), Flower was the actual thing with live instrumental ideas behind that. like Sky and Crawling are the same thing but actually not really

I was wondering if it was an instrumental so I could make some sort of concept for the demo on what it could sound like.

5 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

I was wondering if it was an instrumental so I could make some sort of concept for the demo on what it could sound like.

well you'd have to ask JB if he remembers, but he barely answers anything the way you'd expect him to. I would advise rearranging Emo and putting some guitar on it, I think that should basically be it, but I',m just theorizing

7 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Is "Harmonic Song" just the drums to "Pushing Me Away"?

6 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

I was wondering if "Harmonic Song" was just the drums to "Pushing Me Away" so I could make some sort of concept for the demo on what it could sound like. I was wondering if I have to move anything around with the multitrack of the drums to "Pushing Me Away".

1 hour ago, NJPLP said:

I was wondering if "Harmonic Song" was just the drums to "Pushing Me Away" so I could make some sort of concept for the demo on what it could sound like. I was wondering if I have to move anything around with the multitrack of the drums to "Pushing Me Away".

Harmonic Song was just a working title. Like any other song, it went through various stages of development until they arrived to the final product. It's impossible to know what the original seed was. Mike himself said he doesn't remember how the song was started (see Linkinpedia).

Note that Rob's schedule from Jeff Blue's book lists the song both as "Harmonic Song" (working title) and "Pushing Me Away" (final title). Every other song in the list was already fully developed at that point. It's more than likely that Pushing Me Away was as well since it already had a title taken from the lyrics. I think what Rob recorded during that period was the same drum tracks you hear in the album.

7 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

"Harmonic Song" (working title) and "Pushing Me Away" (final title)

so we can actually tell, that the name Pushing Me Away was decided on on either March 15 or March 16, maybe that's also when the lyrics seemed about done. which would mean the song was an even closer call than we already knew it was, cause the lyrics should be finished before going into the studio. I wonder when Mike rewrote the lyrics of ITE to the final version. Very unlikely that a demo this late exists, but I would love to listen to Mike spitting the final lyrics onto the demo to try them out and check if they work, like a "Take 1 at home".

20 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Harmonic Song was just a working title. Like any other song, it went through various stages of development until they arrived to the final product. It's impossible to know what the original seed was. Mike himself said he doesn't remember how the song was started (see Linkinpedia).

Note that Rob's schedule from Jeff Blue's book lists the song both as "Harmonic Song" (working title) and "Pushing Me Away" (final title). Every other song in the list was already fully developed at that point. It's more than likely that Pushing Me Away was as well since it already had a title taken from the lyrics. I think what Rob recorded during that period was the same drum tracks you hear in the album.

Would it work if I took the drums, guitar, and samples from the multitracks of “Pushing Me Away” and put them all together?

Or maybe just take the drums and guitar and put both of them together?

Also, even though “Harmonic Song” is the working title for “Pushing Me Away”, don’t you think that “Harmonic Song” is an actual full out blown demo, with guitars, drums, bass and samples?

Edited by NJPLP

19 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Or maybe just take the drums and guitar and put both of them together?

how should we know? I don't think we don't have anything from Harmonic Song on the multitracks. If there is something, it should basically be the drums, 'cause they decided on the name change while tracking drums.

19 hours ago, NJPLP said:

don’t you think that “Harmonic Song” is an actual full out blown demo

I doubt they really did a demo of that, maybe some project in ProTools to structure it. But I think it was after they had written OSC and Papercut, when they started writing PMA, but who knows? You should go ask Mike, if he remembers at all or even answers.

Guys, a working title is literally what the name suggests, a title they used while working on the song. Having a different name doesn't mean it was a different song. Could be the same thing that's on the album but under a different title. It doesn't have to be a Blue vs. Crawling situation. Just listen to Dust Brothers and Now I See, they are the same song as With You.

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

a title they used while working on the song

I think they were rather talking about something from early stages HPOATT-like.

And i mean since Mike said that doesn't know anymore, but believes that the song started with guitars and the beeping sounds, I get why they think there must've been more to the song before they tracked it for HT. 

But as I mentioned before, I don't think they actually made a "demo" like Dust Brothers/Now I See.

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

Just listen to Dust Brothers and Now I See, they are the same song as With You.

You could say that about a few more songs on HT, that had their working titles on the unmastered versions but final titles on the actual album. Which are basically exactly the same recording.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, gorast said:

Did we really just discover even more Hybrid Theory demos? Do those titles potentially correspond to things we've heard?

Well yes, Because “Harmonic Song” is a demo of “Pushing Me Away”.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:09 AM, NJPLP said:

Well on Hybrid Party of A Thousand things there is something with the name along the lines of Harmonic Song Drums” 

11 hours ago, EternalBoi said:

is a demo

it's a freakin working title, not a demo

11 hours ago, EternalBoi said:

Well on Hybrid Party of A Thousand things there is something with the name along the lines of Harmonic Song Drums” 

this is just wrong and you know that

13 hours ago, EternalBoi said:

Did you even look into A Hybrid party of a thousand thing? Or do you just make stuff up and hope no one notices:D

16 hours ago, Robrobbsen said:

Did you even look into A Hybrid party of a thousand thing? Or do you just make stuff up and hope no one notices:D

I was wrong about that, sorry, someone uploaded a video titled “Linkin Park - Harmonic Song (Pushing Me Away Demo) [Drums Only]” and it had a Hybrid Party Of a Thousand Things thumbnail so I got a bit confused

17 hours ago, LPsMart said:

it's a freakin working title, not a demo

this is just wrong and you know that

Your right about me being wrong because I was confused because someone uploaded a video titled “Linkin Park - Harmonic Song (Pushing Me Away Demo) [Drums Only]” and it had a Hybrid Party Of a Thousand Things thumbnail so I got a bit confused

• 1 month later...

What's the timeline for March/April/May 1999? I'm trying to figure out the timeline for how long the band kept auditioning singers after Chester sent his tape to Jeff Blue, as well as how long they rehearsed with Chester. Jeff mentions Samantha and Chester came over that weekend to celebrate Chester's new gig when he got the lead singing position for Xero. He also said that Chester said that "We decided to start rehearsing on Monday and begin writing new songs." Chester also said "Do you know how stressful these last six weeks have been?" Jeff also said the following week, he walked out of the bright sun shining on Hollywood Boulevard into the dark rehearsal studio, where the band was rehearsing their songs. He saw the band rehearsing, the guys tuning up their instruments. Joe scratching, Brad using his guitar, Rob drumming, Mike rapping, & Chester singing. Then, probably the following week or so, Jeff spoke to Rob Bourdon in Santa Monica, both of them sitting in the ocean on a Friday afternoon.

Basically, I need a timeline of what happened when to understand what was going on around that time. That's all.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, RayGun4200 said:

Is it possible that the Pictureboard (Xero Version) that leaked is from that Demo CD?

Yes, it is from that November 17th, 1998 Xero demo CD.

Edited by NJPLP

On 8/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, RayGun4200 said:

If that's the case they should of just leaked the whole entire Demo CD instead of just the one song.

Andrew Lanoie leaked the Xero version of "Pictureboard". Maybe he has the CD, or maybe he doesn't.

Edit: Andrew Lanoie most likely doesn't have the CD. The only reason Andrew Lanoie has Pictureboard is because it was in Xero's audition tape when he auditioned for Xero when Phoenix left.

Edited by NJPLP

• 6 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:00 AM, LPsMart said:

I'm taking the list by  @lpliveusername trying to share my thoughts on what I think we already have from Jeff demos (bold text):

Xero - 1997 Mike Shinoda (from photo):

01. Fuse (same version as the baby tape)

02. Reading My Eyes (same version as the baby tape)

03. Stick N Move (same version as the baby tape)

First Xero demo he heard:

01. Fuse (same version as the baby tape)

02. [Untitled Track] (Dialate)

03. Stick And/N Move (same version as the baby tape)

04. Reading My Eyes (same version as the baby tape)

November 1997, baby cover: (obviously)

01. Rhinestone

02. Reading My Eyes (even remastered on HT20)

03. Fuse

04. Stick N Move

Xero (from photo):

01. Rhinestone

02. Dreamer

03. Weight

August 25, 1998 demo produced by Darryl Swan at Paramount Recording Studios (Studio C)

[Fiends from Rapology 14 likely from this demo]

November 17, 1998 demo CD:

01. Rhinestone

02. Esaul

03. Pictureboard

04. Fiends (I believe they reused the R14 one)

05. Stick N Move (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

06. Carousel

07. Slip (instrumentally if there was a Chester version before album sessions - I'm thinking audition tape)

08. Pointillism (Mike Shinoda demo on a Xero Promo)

09. Step Up

First demo CD with Chester [early May 1999]:

01. Over To Me (Blue)

02. Could Have Been

03. Rhinestone

04. Esaul

05. Part Of Me

06. Turn To Grey

07. Pictureboard

08. Ashes (Unfinished)

Studio time with Mudrock in June 1999 for about a week [Hybrid Theory EP]

9-track demo CD, week of August 16, 1999: (pretty sure that's the "Forgotten Demos" source or each is at least on one of the leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled

xx. Points Of Authority

xx. Super Xero

xx. I Hate You/Crawling

Random mentions:

It Doesn't Matter [Untitled]

Flower [early She Couldn't]

Brad and Mike flew to New York to work with the Dust Brothers in September/October 1999 and did an early version of With You with only rap vocals. The demo was called Dust Brothers because it was meant for the Dust Brothers album.

Don Gilmore received the first demo from the band in November 1999: (Probably also on the actually leaked demo CDs)

xx. Untitled (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Crawling (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

xx. Dust Brothers (Not sure about this one though - it has changed quite a bit)

xx. Points Of Authority (I'm pretty sure we have most of the demos of songs that actually made it onto HT)

Early March [first week] demo CD:

01. Plaster [no bridge]

02. Papercut [guitar/beat instrumental demo]

Recording at NRG started on March 7, 2000 (what did they do the first week besides setting up? Guide tracks in a live take?) and was scheduled for a month and a half. Rob's drum recording schedule for Hybrid Theory:

March 14, 2000:
Harmonic Song (Pushing Me Away)
Pictureboard
By Myself
Plaster
Papercut
Rhinestone (Forgotten)

And One

March 15, 2000:
Untitled
Esaul (A Place For My Head)
Dust Bros.

Stick N Move (maybe this is what's on HT:20 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)

March 16, 2000:
Stick N Move (continued from 3/15) (I believe they used this for Runaway - if Rob didn't have to record once more after the SnM was completed, 'cause of Don)
Slip (maybe this is what's on HT:20/LPU11 but IMO it doesn't sound that properly recorded)
A Place For My Head

March 17, 2000:
Points Of Authority
Pushing Me Away
Now I See

what do you guys think? is this anywhere near accurate?

Fixed version of the list that LPsMart made.

Edited by NJPLP

• 10 months later...

i think linkin park will not release these songs ever. but i do want them. i think they would have put it on hybrid theory 20th version. maybe the band does not want to release these songs or they did not recall them until after it was finalized. personally i do not think mike or the band will care if someone leaks these songs. he seems ok with this old of music getting leaked. i think he would not like music from other album eras getting leaked but for the first album i think the band does not really care.

5 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

They're holding them back for Hybrid Theory 30th Anniversary edition. lol

I know you're joking but I wouldn't be shocked. The Beatles still have previously unreleased and unheard music being released on box sets today! Revolver came out 58 years ago and unheard demos and alternate takes were released on a box set for that album just a few months ago.

The Beatles were only a band for 10 years. If they still have stuff left in the vault, I know LP/Xero does.