01.06.2012 - Adenau, Germany - Rock am Ring

Posted Image

The fourth show of the Summer European Tour for Linkin Park takes us to Nürburgring in Adenau, Germany for what is surely to be the most popular and most anticipated show of the tour, hence why the preshow post for this one goes up early! Honestly no preshow post for Linkin Park by us at LPLive could do the Rock am Ring show justice seeing as how epic it has been over the years for them.

Where to begin? Well, Linkin Park first performed at Rock am Ring in June of 2001 (show page here) in what was already their NINTH show in Germany in 2001 - the year was only halfway over!! If you're a Linkin Park fan and you collect any sort of live media by the band, you've most likely seen the 2001 show. 'High Voltage', 'And One', a 'Sweet Child O' Mine' cover, and a rare appearance of the
(was this a demo at some point or just a live interlude they played a few times?) were all included in the setlist for that show. Here's a video of 'With You'. It's cold as fuck outside, wind is blowing Joe's tablecloth everywhere, and then LP comes out and just rock the crowd big time. Look at that place bounce!

After an electrifying performance in 2001 (coming a day after they played TWO shows in ONE day at Rock im Park, but that's for the Rock im Park preshow post), it's no surprise the band was invited back in 2003. Unfortunately that tour was canceled as we've said a million times before, so Linkin Park pulled the rare feat of playing Rock am Ring in 2004 (show page here) without playing Rock im Park as well. This comes as a surprise since the festivals usually always share the same headliners. Rock am Ring 2004 is widely known as the best show the band has ever played by many Linkin Park fans online. I'm sure it can even be said that Rock am Ring 2004 launched people from being "just a fan" to the level of being a "hardcore Linkin Park fan". Combining the Gacela Of Dark Death intro with 'Don't Stay', pulling up Benjamin on 'A Place For My Head', playing what fans call the
('Step Up', 'Nobody's Listening', 'It's Goin' Down) and overall just sounding great on stage, there's no question why fans hailed this as an epic show. Here's 'Wish':

And then they returned in 2007 (show page here), exactly five years before their 2012 performance. That was the first year Rock am Ring ever sold out in advance! Unfortunately the full show wasn't broadcasted and a DSP for that show wasn't ever released so fans sadly never got to see the whole thing! But when a few proshot videos did start to surface, people were able to see how incredible their third show at Rock am Ring really was. Opening with 'One Step Closer', the crowd exploded at the very beginning and rocked it all the way through the show. Many people (including me) call this their favorite performance of the song because of how incredible the crowd is. Watch the video and you'll even see Brad smiling like it's Christmas morning as a kid when he sees the crowd explode. Chester also sang 'Pushing Me Away' (Piano Version) off of the micstand for the only time at this show. And how could we forget to mention Chester's epic screaming at the end of 'Faint'? Best 'Faint' outro ever performed...?

Rumors flew around in 2009 (I believe Phoenix said at a German M&G the band was asked to play in 2010...?), 2010 and 2011 for the band to return to Rock am Ring, but finally in 2012 here we are ready for Linkin Park's fourth show at Rock am Ring. Arguably the best setlist in years is being played on tour right now by the band so they are going into this performance with lots of energy. I'm pretty sure just about everyone that visits LPLive is very excited to see some videos from this show and see how the crowd reacts to 'A Place For My Head' opening. Maybe they'll extend the bridge a bit and get them going at this one? Regardless, this 22 song set is going to make for a LOT of downloads on the DSP website and will certainly go down as another amazing show at Nürburgring by the band.

This will be the band's first show in Germany in 2012 - the country that is home to some of the most hardcore Linkin Park fans in the world. Who's going? Who will be making the voyage to Nürburgring to see the show?

Who is excited for this show? Check here frequently until showtime to see if the LP set ends up being broadcasted (somebody send the record label and/or band management a bouquet of flowers and candy and ask them if they'll let this one be broadcasted, haha). The schedule says LP plays last on the main stage (Centerstage) after Soundgarden, Gossip, Kasabian, Cypress Hill, The Subways, and Tribes. Someone tell Chris Cornell to go up there and join them for 'Crawling'!

After this show, Linkin Park plays a TV show (TV total Autoball EM 2012) in Köln at LANXESS arena on the 2nd for what is likely going to be a one song performance before they play Rock im Park on the 3rd. And on the 5th they will play the small Berlin show at Admiralspalast which will be filmed. Six shows remain after that on the tour. For the full 2012 tour schedule, click here.

SETLIST:
01. A Place For My Head (w/ Long Intro & Ext. Outro)
02. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)
03. Faint (Ext. Outro)
04. With You (w/ 2012 ext. intro; scratch ending)
05. Runaway
06. From The Inside
07. Somewhere I Belong (w/ 2012 ext. intro)
08. Numb
09. LIES GREED MISERY
10. Points Of Authority
11. Waiting For The End (w/ Apaches Intro & Wall Of Noise Outro)
12. Breaking The Habit
13. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)
14. The Catalyst
15. BURN IT DOWN
16. What I've Done
17. Crawling
18. New Divide
19. In The End
20. Bleed It Out (w/ Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage' bridge)
21. Papercut
22. One Step Closer

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The schedule on the swr3 site is pretty much nonsense as of right now. For example 'Die Toten Hosen' just stated that their show is going to be broadcasted but it isn't on the list yet. Last year it changed also changed during the day.

So there's still a small chance to see that (most probably) epic show :)

I just checked the Showpages for Rock im Park 2001 and there they're listed on different days?

I'm confused right now :-D

The second show occurred after midnight so it technically was on the second. But LP played mid day on the 1st and then after midnight they filled in for Slipknot so they played two full shows within 12 hours.

This is why I love LPL's live show topics recapping previous times LP has played a city, or venue, or festival. I don't think I've ever seen anything about the Be Yourself interlude.

The Germans are going to completely lose their shit at the show, guaranteed. Can't wait to see what happens.

That got me really pumped up about this show. Seems like every year has had a few epic moments, hopefully 2012 can rival them! Can't wait to see how everything unfolds!

Makes me sad to realize that Chester will probably never sound that good on Faint ever again. :(

Edited by Faint!ntoPieces

Mark, this was one of your best pre - show posts ever written :P

Unfortunately, I don't see a broadcast of this coming which is a total bummer :( But I'm happy we'll get at least the DSP.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of old school LP - fans will be attending the show again after seeing this incredible setlist. There were lots of haters after MTM and even more afer ATS, but they'll be at this show tomorrow which is pretty cool in my opinion :)

Another thing I'd like to point out is that a lot of old school LP - fans will be attending the show again after seeing this incredible setlist. There were lots of haters after MTM and even more afer ATS, but they'll be at this show tomorrow which is pretty cool in my opinion :)

One of them is right here! Can't wait for the show. Everybody there come by to the MFR booth, little LPL meetup?

I just remembered how D-O-P-E the interlude/demo/cover-wtf aka. "Be yourself" / "In yourself" / "Pictureboard" (whatever?) was. I'm getting lost in the track everytime I hear it... I hope there will be more information on that track someday. I NEED TO KNOW. It's just as artistically amazing as "She couldn't". They both sound like having a little Grey-Daze-twist in it... so paralyzing.

BTW: Awesome news post, Hahninator!!!

Edited by Klaastropf

This will be the 4th year with ''Papercut, Points Of Authority, In The End and One Step Closer''. Still remaining in the set :D

And 2 of them were broadcasted every year so far...but maybe not this year ?! :/

In 2007, OSC (1st song in the setlist) and Faint (last song in the setlist) were exhibited on TV. Maybe it happens with APFMH and OSC this year (if following this logic, of course)?

BTW: Awesome news post, Hahninator!!!

I agree with you!