Mike's Surprise LPU Chat: Setlist Talk

hahninator

Mike just hopped into the LPU chat as a surprise and talked about a LOT of stuff LPL members would like to hear! I took notes in Notepad after asking a few questions that didn't get answered (no problem though) so I thought I'd post the setlist questions you guys would like to hear since he addressed a lot of it. Here we go:

- Why don't you play 'Blackout'?

"We are trying to tighten the sets we have right now. We want to wrap our heads around the sets we have right now, which is why we play it a few times at first to get familiar with it again."

- Why don't you play old songs like 'And One', 'High Voltage' and stuff?

"I know you like to see them, but especially when we play a festival, big groups of people that aren't all "super LP fans", they aren't familiar with those songs. We want to play a show that's entertaining to as many people as possible. At our shows (not festivals), it's a little different. It's a vote between all 6 members and songs get voted out. But some songs, like 'With You' has a better chance of getting back in the setlist than 'QWERTY'. 'Somewhere I Belong' has a better chance than 'Rhinestone' or 'PB N Jellyfish'."

- Why don't you play 'No Roads Left'?

"We played it in practice once or twice and it doesn't really sound good. We'll add a song or two to the set at some point to spice it up. I know some people want to see certain songs. As we make more albums, it'd be fun to switch it up, but if we played 'Easier To Run' and didn't play 'New Divide', people would be like "They didn't play 'New Divide', what the fuck". If we didn't play 'Papercut', people would be like "What the hell."

He had everyone type their favorite LP song. I responded "Figure.09"...a few others said 'Easier To Run', etc which prompted Mike to say "No, I mean a song that, if you didn't hear at a Linkin Park show, you'd be like "What the fuck." People said 'Papercut', 'In The End', etc and he said "See?"

- What are your touring plans after Asia?

"After Asia I don't really know what we are doing tour-wise. We're not looking at touring for a record anymore. We have family stuff and writing and we split it all up. We space it all out. We don't do it like most bands - make a record then tour then make another record then tour again. Now we go back and forth because it works better for us."

Awesome! What do you guys think?

Cool chat. He shut me down big time for asking about his latest blog post though lol, he sounded so pissed.

He said they'd spice it up with 1 or 2 songs. I like it. That's the second time in a year he's mentioned 'With You'. I think he'd like to play it again. But he also loves playing all the big singles.

I think 'Blackout' is in their third set, maybe they'll play it in Leipzig. He made it sound like it's in a setlist but it just hasn't been played yet.

Cool chat. He shut me down big time for asking about his latest blog post though lol, he sounded so pissed.

He said they'd spice it up with 1 or 2 songs. I like it. That's the second time in a year he's mentioned 'With You'. I think he'd like to play it again. But he also loves playing all the big singles.

I think 'Blackout' is in their third set, maybe they'll play it in Leipzig. He made it sound like it's in a setlist but it just hasn't been played yet.

It will be awesome to get 'With You' back. Even on the middle of the set or opening the shows again

Interesting chat. Everyone has their favourites but obviously everyone can't be pleased.

I won't even mention what songs I think should be dropped & which should be played for fear of being torn a new one in the forum.

But yeah, With You would be a welcome return, as would F.09 and many others.

We'll never get the perfect setlist, ever, thats just a fact of life.

Also, I love the fact that he mentioned PB n Jellyfish not having a good chance of being played.

Imagine being at an LP concert and then mid-show, they bust out PB n Jellyfish. The whole crowd would be like WTF! :o I want The Wizard Song :lol:

Okay, did anyone get what the surprise was as he was leaving? He said he had a surprise, then tinychat kicked me off again, then I came back and he was logged off.

Tinychat was chewing me out about every 40 seconds. Very annoying, and it made me miss a lot.

That was me who brought up PB N jellyfish as a joke.

Edited by KATHYxx

The Songs on the Set are no that problem, the problem that these guy's have is, that they haven't harder songs anymore. The Sets are really soft and that is boring. Nobody had problems with the Sets in the Hybrid Theory and Meteora periode but after MTM and ATS came out they are so still. They have to combi the new stil with a harder rockstyle from the past, then they blow us all away.

MTM and ATS are good, but LP is more as that Mike !

Edited by Exzero

I second this request.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThoseLilRabbit...u/0/1vH7L0S8Bjg

it was this link, i think.

First, I think it's awesome that he got on the chat to speak to us. I loved that he answered the NRL question. However, I don't think he's being honest. I think he's either scared or just can't pull it off live.

Seriously???? Seriously???

Explain your evidence and your reasoning. I don't see anything funky with what he said. I do not doubt for a second what he said about LP songs not all translating to the stage being true. Surely, since they do not write with the stage in mind, that not all of them could translate and fit into the set. They've said that NRL doesn't sound well live for years now, so his story is consistent.

Accusing someone of being a liar without providing any evidence is dishonest in itself.

A ton did but he avoided a lot of questions.

More like answered as many as he could. He has to pick and choose which ones are the best to answer, on account that there's so many people. He's already said that Robot Boy has too many overlayed vocals. He answered that last time.

Edited by KATHYxx

Very surprising that he did a chat. Pretty cool he talked about the setlist though. This is the second time that I have seen Mike talk about the setlist after everyone here talks so much about wanting new songs in the setlists. Glad he popped on for chat before LPL goes into a riot like Vancouver, lol.

Well, Mike said if they play Easier to Run instead of New Divide, people would be pissed. Buuuuuut i got a lil and crazy idea ^^, if they would play just ONE song more at each show, they could bring back an "oldie" in each of their sets.

If they are Touring with 3 Sets they could bring back, With You in set A, Figure.09 in set B and By Myself in set C, or whatever songs you wish....

That would be a good compromise, because everyone would be pleased, there is no rule to just play 22 songs :D

READ THIS MIKE ^^