04.06.2011 - Irvine, CA - KROQ Weenie Roast

It was a great show! Earlier in the day I was online and saw another festival from Germany (Rock am Ring) was being broadcasted online. I was wanting to see In Flames play but they didn't show their set and I was kinda bummed. Headlining was Coldplay and they were going to be playing some new songs from their new album. I only got to see about the first 7 songs then I had to leave for work. After work I got home and knew that LP was going to be playing so at about 8:30 I tune in to see Rise Against finishing. Then I hear the beginning of Foo Fighter's "All My Life" and I was shocked/surprised/happy. I was going to see FF and LP all in one night! I very much enjoyed the Foo's setlist and was pumped after they played. I thought LP started off good but then after awhile I realized there probably wasn't going to be any new songs in the setlist. Was hoping they might play Points of Authority. I thought they played for a long time, 1 hour and 20-30 minutes, and they had to shorten their set because of the Foo Fighters?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't Foo Fighters hate sampling? Wth was there a DJ for? I thought they like personally called out LP on that, besides the point I am now a converted FF fan as of last night :). As far as LP goes, fantastic set for the current LP era, no SOTD, even if just a one time thing was a nice change of pace, and it was indeed quite rock based as Chester put it, I guess we were all just hoping for oldies which I still hope they do on the Europe run. I honestly thought for a split second that right before WID they would do With You when Joe started scratching, my heart like legit skipped a beat lmao.

I understand why linkin park didnt like the foo's to show up...but hey they did play before them not after them...shouldnt linkin park be al little bit honoured? foo fighters is just is big as linkin park is, maybe even bigger?

i don't know about internationally (have no idea how internation album sales for foo fighters are) but in the US Linkin Park has sold more, so i would say LP is bigger at least in the US

I watched the whole show last night, I wasn't impressed at all. The band didn't do a good set, and they didn't really perform that well IMO. Way too many technical problems and shit. Chester was either pissed off or didn't feel well. I can't complain really though because it was a free webcast. Just hope tonight's show has a webcast, in broadcast in full, and they play better.

i don't know about internationally (have no idea how internation album sales for foo fighters are) but in the US Linkin Park has sold more, so i would say LP is bigger at least in the US

well the foo's played 2nights in a row in the wembley stadium...linkin park needed jayz to play milton keynes..

Not that it really matters, was just curious why linkin park would be that pissed off when a very big band is opening as a surprise for them

Edited by frank

I don't blame LP for the half-assed set last night. If I had to play after the Foo Fighters I'd do the same thing. LP kind of got screwed in that regard, but also didn't rise to the occasion.

Linkin Park are good for about one tour for every album. The "same old shit" factor kicks in quickly, especially as a hardcore fan that knows they are extremely unlikely to play what we want. Cancel any future shows and get back in the studio guys!

The amount of complaining on here is ridiculous. Who gives a crap if the Foo Fighters cost us the chance of seeing SOD played?? It was a free webcast and people are complaining that it wasn't up to snuff, give me a break. Most of you are spoiled little kids, who do nothing but bitch if they don't get to hear the songs they were hoping for. Newsflash, LP aren't going to play all the "old school" songs that we would love to hear, it's just not happening. If they don't play them at their own shows, they certainly aren't going to play them at events like last night. I love Lp like everyone else, but the LP fan base has become a bunch of whining complainers.

Don't Foo Fighters hate sampling? Wth was there a DJ for? I thought they like personally called out LP on that, besides the point I am now a converted FF fan as of last night :). As far as LP goes, fantastic set for the current LP era, no SOTD, even if just a one time thing was a nice change of pace, and it was indeed quite rock based as Chester put it, I guess we were all just hoping for oldies which I still hope they do on the Europe run. I honestly thought for a split second that right before WID they would do With You when Joe started scratching, my heart like legit skipped a beat lmao.

well this is what dave said about LP and motley crew

FOO FIGHTERS frontman DAVE GROHL has derided bands including LINKIN PARK and MOTLEY CRUE for using backing tracks when they perform live.

The BEST OF YOU rocker would rather his band sounded terrible than employ pre-recorded material as a "crutch" to mask poor musicianship.

He explains, "We don't try to play perfect, like on the record. We don't use backing tracks. That's kind of a crutch other bands have up their sleeve.

"I'd rather sound awful and have the chance to change things at a whim than sound like Linkin Park or Motley Crue because of today's technology."They feel naked when it comes to playing live."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...king-tape-bands

Don't Foo Fighters hate sampling? Wth was there a DJ for?

I totally forgot about that! Dave said he hates when bands use backing tracks live. He specifically called out Motley Crue and LP. Ha, I would be a little sour if a band said something like that about my band and then played before me and possibly took a cheap shot at me from the stage.

Nobody will ever know the real circumstances though. :)

This has turned into a typical LPLive thread. So much bitching. I won't complain about one thong. Honestly it was just good to be able to watch the guys live. Some people are forgetting about the positive parts and focusing on the negative. Come on guys. They boys don't have to play shows like this. Your lucky enough just to be able to watch it online.

well this is what dave said about LP and motley crew

FOO FIGHTERS frontman DAVE GROHL has derided bands including LINKIN PARK and MOTLEY CRUE for using backing tracks when they perform live.

The BEST OF YOU rocker would rather his band sounded terrible than employ pre-recorded material as a "crutch" to mask poor musicianship.

He explains, "We don't try to play perfect, like on the record. We don't use backing tracks. That's kind of a crutch other bands have up their sleeve.

"I'd rather sound awful and have the chance to change things at a whim than sound like Linkin Park or Motley Crue because of today's technology."They feel naked when it comes to playing live."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...king-tape-bands

somehow I agree what Dave Grohl said

Don't LP only use a backing track in one song? I'm pretty sure Muse use backing tracks and they are "one of the best live acts"...Ahhh I'm in a shitty mood fuck you Dave Grohl

woah woah woah Leave Muse out of this :) They now have Morgan playing all of the backing tracks now.

honestly i disagree with Dave, i respect Dave as a muscian and i love FF, but i will say who cares if bands use backing trackings live? nobody should care, some of the biggest live bands from earlier times Motley Crue (sorry if i spelled that wrong) and Depche Mode use them, and some of the bigger live rock acts from today use them- Muse and Linkin Park, i see nothing wrong with that at all, they can do what they want, and all the bands (except maybe Depche Mode, havent heard anything live or anything about them live) generally sound amazing live, so who cares if they use backing tracks, all of them are great musicians and thats what matters

I thought it was years ago that Dave Grohl said that?? I'm not a FF fan, and I wasn't pumped that they opened for LP, but I don't hate them for saying that and their music isn't bad. Let them think what they want about LP, Motley Crue or any of the tons of bands that use backing tracks live. LP is still bigger and better. I was kind of pissed that they just randomly played and caused LP to cut songs and shit. People came to see LP in full, FF should have been respectful and played a shorter set. Dave Grohl also continuously mentioned 'we have to play a short set', 'we usually play for 3 hours', 'next time we can do a 3 hour show for you guys', etc. Kind of a DICK thing to do. Like, LP is better than you. So get out and let better bands play.

Edited by Geki

Yeah just to add. Grohl made these comments even before Minutes came out....so he's referring to samples such as LFY and Faint. He just needs to except that not all music is the same and not everyone approaches music writing in the same way.

I know we're all impatient but I've checked every day for the KROQ DSP since like 4 days after the show, lol. So ready to get it :P

The good news is though, the longer it takes for it to come out and for the DSPs to start "rolling out", the longer into the 2 month break between Europe and Asia we'll get DSPs. I guess that's a good thing....?