MTV Interview w/ Chester

ThePretender

Read the newest interview with Chester on MTV.com

Bennington said LP are once again working with producer Rick Rubin — who produced their last effort, 2007's Minutes to Midnight — on the new album. And, yes, they're still sticking to the concept Bennington had first mentioned last year, only, you know, with a slightly different, slightly more realistic twist.

"It's like, 'Oh, let's go and make this giant opus that no one's ever done. It's going to cost billions of dollars and take forever.' And we're like, 'Wait a second, it's going to cost billions of dollars and take forever,' " he laughed. "So we might need to just make a record and still try to do a concept but figure out a way to do it without actually waiting another five or six years to put out a record, to try to pull off all the grandiose insanity we were thinking of doing. And we're doing that. So I would imagine, I'm guessing even conservatively, that we'll probably have a record out by June of next year."

Bennington said that, in keeping with Linkin Park tradition, the new album will be sonically adventurous and that it might even feature a few tunes he'd intended for Dead by Sunrise's follow-up to Ashes.

"It's kind of funny, because I wrote a song, and I was positive it was a Dead by Sunrise song, and I was in the studio playing it, and Brad [Delson] goes, 'You are putting that down right now!' " he said. "And I was like, 'Well, apparently that's a Linkin Park song.' The song is called 'Fucking Awesome' by the way."

Sounds rad. And though he's pushing hard on the new Linkin Park album, Bennington's not quite finished with Dead by Sunrise — not by a long shot, it would seem.

"We are going to tour, and we are going to make more records," he said.

LP must have some progress if they are letting Chester tour until January with DBS. Album out in June?

That gives Feb, March, April & May. May for mixing/production. 3 months of work left for the CD? I like what I hear.

Plus the rest of the band can work while he's away, and Mike can scat vocals, so when Chester comes back it's just like let's finalize these vocals, mix, and fucking go.

This album has some quiet yet major hype around it. Love that shit.

At least we have a targeted time slot now. All that pushing back really pissed me off hopefully Chester is right and LP sticks with June.

As far as DBS is concerned I'm not entirely sure what to think of more records. Shouldn't they wait and see how other singles fair on the charts? Idk just bring on LPU 9 it will hold me over till the new record.

Makes me curious though as to what they were planning on doing that would take "five years and a billion dollars" to do...

Makes me curious though as to what they were planning on doing that would take "five years and a billion dollars" to do...

I'm pretty sure they had been planning something besides a CD for the concept album. Some of the quotes they gave seemed to hint at it.

Linkin Park, Orgy, Fort Minor, Dead by Sunrise, Julien-K, Circuit Freq, JK-DJs — it's a pretty good bill. It'll have to be called the Narcissist Tour."

Oh...my...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.(if its real)

Edited by MrInfluXion

I think he was joking, but man I'd love to see FM back on tour again.

I honestly don't see anything substantial happening with FM in the future (at least as far as live performances are concerned), because Tak seems to have totally ditched Ryu and Mike. I don't think he even talks to either of them anymore.

June sounds cool. PR could totally happen next Summer now too if that happens. I can't wait for the new album. I think this upcoming year will be awesome. LPU9, DBS tour, New LP album, PR (Most likely) and more.

Chester isn't being realistic if he thinks he can do both Linkin Park and Dead by Sunrise records continuously and simultaneously without sacrificing one for the other or a personal life. At least, i don't see how that is possible to be honest.

I honestly don't see anything substantial happening with FM in the future (at least as far as live performances are concerned), because Tak seems to have totally ditched Ryu and Mike. I don't think he even talks to either of them anymore.

Yeah, there was definitely a fallout over something but Tak, Ryu and Mike all go way back. Maybe they can mend bridges eventually.