Chester vs NY Times & Rolling Stone

hahninator

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the fucking point but I think more of what was trying to be said was DBS doesn't fulfill the same type of "bam" that LP did and does. While so many of LP's songs are right in your face with some great guitar tracks and high-energy choruses, DBS doesn't hit that very much and I think she was simply saying DBS doesn't come close to the raw talent and energy that LP brings which is very true.

Not all the good music in the world is filled with a bunch of energy. That shouldn't be someone's measuring stick for what makes a good album. The fact that these reviewers used Linkin Park's in-your-face sound to put down DBS shows how pre-biased they were while listening to DBS. It isn't supposed to be anything like LP, yet all they are doing is comparing apples to oranges.

Dead By Sunrise is more of a pop/alternative rock band that can do some heavy stuff, but seeing as how most of these songs started acoustically, why would anyone be surprised that it isn't as aggressive as LP?

That's the definition of a sellout.

Actually...the definition of sellout is:

"Informal. a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement."

Which is

Dead By Sunrise (Chester doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

Fort Minor (Mike doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

and

Linkin Park ditching their roots to sell records.

The bad part is...people taking the term "sellout" as a HORRIBLE thing. Well, in my opinion it is (lol)...but it's not a sin to do it. Linkin Park is not the first to do this, it's part of marketing. Why in the world would a band want to sound the same on every record? They can't or they will lose people. They must experiment new sounds and make music that more people will take a liking to. I prefer Hybrid Theory over any album, others will disagree. No one is right or wrong on how their music sounds. The numbers are what matter. They are selling records to millions.

Edited by rav0k

"Informal. a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement."

Which is

Dead By Sunrise (Chester doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

Fort Minor (Mike doing a side project, not in privacy. He wants to make money from it.)

and

The bad part is...people taking the term "sellout" as a HORRIBLE thing. Well, in my opinion it is (lol)...but it's not a sin to do it. Linkin Park is not the first to do this, it's part of marketing. Why in the world would a band want to sound the same on every record? They can't or they will lose people. They must experiment new sounds and make music that more people will take a liking to. I prefer Hybrid Theory over any album, others will disagree. No one is right or wrong on how their music sounds. The numbers are what matter. They are selling records to millions.

I'm not sure how any of those things are sellouts. DBS/FM were other outlets for musicians to get a different kind of music out. "Not in privacy"? These people are professional musicians, selling their music is kind of their job. They have fans that want to hear it. I dunno if you've ever made music, but you want to share it with people when you do. (at least I do)

And unless you are psychic, how can you say for sure that LP changed their sound because they wanted more money? Hybrid Theory sold an extreme amount of records, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If they wanted to sell a bunch they could have continued making the same music, a ton of angsty, "hardcore" kids would have eaten the shit up.

Which is

and

You are 100% wrong. LP was criticized for changing their style, meaning they did what people did not want them to do. If you create "private" music and no one ever hears it, then what's the point? They're signed to a label meaning they can not release music for free. It's their job.

Well to be honest:

I like the songs. the melodys and rythyms are amazing. BUT: the lyrics are too sad and emo indeed. Comon you are like 35 years old, you shouldnt stuff like "I wanna cut through my skin" and "Sometimes I feel like I wanna die". They have a good point on that one.

Besides that, even though theyre good musicians (also live), i cant watch their live performances. They come over like gays, except for Chester.

Now dont be mad at my post, but Im telling you how I feel about DBS. Amazing music, but really really too sad lyrics and clothes and make up etc.

And I really cant stand emo's. Sorry guys.

I don't like their appearence either, but who cares? It's clothes. This is music.

I think the "I wanna die" part is very honest actually. He might be 35 years old, yes, but his life was a fucking mess when he wrote that song, he thought he was never gonna see his kids again and he just got devorced. He was even living in a small apartment because he had no money. Who can blame him? At least he isn't writing lyrics that are tailored to fit whiny teenagers anymore. Like Runaway and Numb, which are both about hating your parents one way or another. In my opinion.

Anyway, it's also very stupid to use "I wanna cut through my skin" as an example. If you were actually paying attention listening to the song, and not taking things out of context, you would know that the next sentence is: "and pull you within". So it's a love song. It has nothing to do with actually cutting through your skin.

I guess you only hear what you want to hear huh?

You are 100% wrong. LP was criticized for changing their style, meaning they did what people did not want them to do. If you create "private" music and no one ever hears it, then what's the point? They're signed to a label meaning they can not release music for free. It's their job.

100000000% agree. Ppl mistake sellout for doing something they feel like doing for the fun of it.

The actual term for emo is emotional, which OoA is...but I think they are using the term like "I want to cut myself BLAH BLAH". and actually, how is the line in ITD "I want to cut through my skin", emo? Its actually the other way around if you know what the song is about ;)

The actual term for emo is emotional, which OoA is...but I think they are using the term like "I want to cut myself BLAH BLAH". and actually, how is the line in ITD "I want to cut through my skin", emo? Its actually the other way around if you know what the song is about ;)

At a time yes, that's what it meant (hence the name) but now that meaning has changed. It's like the whole "gay means happy" thing.

The problem is that it became not only a music genre, but a trend, and alot of ppl don't like it because they think it looks ugly, and it kinda does.

The thing I hate most about DBS is the timing. DBS is clearly the biggest reason this LP album is going to be delayed until this time next year or further. When I first even realized what DBS was, I was thinking it was basically Chester and like 2 other dudes playing some intruments. He would release some music, play a few shows, and that would be that. But hell, DBS has become its own big band, same size as LP, playing Letterman, and all sorts of shit. How in the hell can Chester be remotely concertrated or dedicated to LP in a time of their most important record to date when he is off with this band. I don't like OOA but if Chester wants to do DBS that's cool, more power to him. But why at this time period? I just don't understand the timing and logistics of this band.

Which is

and

DBS/FM= how the hell is that selling out? As a musican myself, i make music not only for my enjoyment, but also for those who are my fans *not popular, but if i was their level, i know this is how they feel* There would be no point in making a group or going solo, if its only going to be in privacy. If it's all in privacy, then basically all they are doing, is jamming together DBS and FM.

How does Chester and Mike need money by doing side projects? First of all, it's a huge risk, seeing as it has a high potential of not being 75% as successful as LP *prob. more*

Second, they are members of LP!! they have sold 40+ million albums world wide, and is pretty much WB number one act. So, the money thing is ridiculous.

How did LP sellout? Because THEY decided to change the music that they have to play too day in and day out, the music they have passion for..?

I suggest you look up critical thinking vs random thinking. and tell me what you are doing.

i read the interview and i dont care what they say. I liked the album and the review isnt going to take away the experience from me. Chill out guys. You love the album dont let it get to you

A. MEN.

Now lets go find out more on LPU9 :P

Rolling Stone can simply go fuck themself! As with anyone else comparing this to Linkin Park. Im fucking over it. Linkin Park is a god damn band with 6 members that Chester Bennington is "APART OF"! He's not the fucking band! Dead By Sunrise is Chester's solo project that he invited Julien-K to be apart of.

Chester shouldn't give a flying fuck about these critics, even though it's coming from a renowned magazine such as Rolling Stone. I understand that this criticism might get to him even more since this is his very own, personal album but there are always people disliking his stuff or hating, so yeah, I think he should rather "find bliss in ignorance" *laughs*

And that whole emo thing is like sooo 2007!

i agree with the nytimes concerning the layering and the background choruses...

i don't want to do bitching but chesters reaction seems a bit improfessional...as a musician you have to accept that there are other opinions out there than just "amazing" etc.

i like the album somehow...but songs like inside of me and my suffering are just too simple and nothing special in my opinion...

I don't like their appearence either, but who cares? It's clothes. This is music.

I think the "I wanna die" part is very honest actually. He might be 35 years old, yes, but his life was a fucking mess when he wrote that song, he thought he was never gonna see his kids again and he just got devorced. He was even living in a small apartment because he had no money. Who can blame him? At least he isn't writing lyrics that are tailored to fit whiny teenagers anymore. Like Runaway and Numb, which are both about hating your parents one way or another. In my opinion.

Anyway, it's also very stupid to use "I wanna cut through my skin" as an example. If you were actually paying attention listening to the song, and not taking things out of context, you would know that the next sentence is: "and pull you within". So it's a love song. It has nothing to do with actually cutting through your skin.

I guess you only hear what you want to hear huh?

As I said, I really love the music. I just can't stand the way they're appearing. BUT it's the music that counts, so I really like DBS. And I know In The Darkness is about love (or sex), but they're just lines which I can't stand. Words as "My Suffering" come over to me as "Oh look, im so silly". And no I am not here to bash to bash emo's or something like that, I just say that I really can't stand those types. Thats just my opinion, just like other people cant stand me on this forum :lol:

As I said, I really love the music. I just can't stand the way they're appearing. BUT it's the music that counts, so I really like DBS. And I know In The Darkness is about love (or sex), but they're just lines which I can't stand. Words as "My Suffering" come over to me as "Oh look, im so silly". And no I am not here to bash to bash emo's or something like that, I just say that I really can't stand those types. Thats just my opinion, just like other people cant stand me on this forum :lol:

No it's okay you have your own opinion, i respect that.

I think what you're missing is either the experience or the ability to put yourself in someone's situation. Also you don't seem to understand the line "I wanna cut through my skin", because it doesn't mean "I wanna hurt myself because of the pain i'm feeling" or something but in this context it means more like "I want to open myself up to you". As for "Sometimes I feel like I wanna die", it possibly means "I wanna put an end to this, tried everything else but now I don't know any other way then to put end to my life" which sounds less silly to me than just "i wanna kill myself".

But it's not the Band's fault you (and Jody Rosen too) interpret it wrong. I don't wanna say you're dumb or something in that way but i want to back up your statement:Your opinion bases on a different point of view and that's why I (and anyone else) can say, that you're right or wrong.

There's one thing about Jody's review that makes me take it not so serious: Dead by Sunrise shouldn't have to do anything with Linkin Park except it's the same singer - so why even compare them? If he wanted to sound these songs like Linkin Park's, he would have recorded it with them. But he tried something new and that is how we should look at it. For me, it doesn't like sound like LP / M2M at all.

As Mike said in making of Meteora, we people only look at the results. Being a musician is stressful. Chester has a lot of points in expressing his soul out, hoping that his past memories will pass and disappear. He doesn't wish his past nightmares to haunt him.

Saying him or his band EMO is a crime to me. Just say 'Alternative Rock', 'Electronic Rock' or simply 'Rock'.

Okay, let's say, there are some people who like DBS and some people who hate DBS. So Chester makes the album for the people who LIKE. Those who hate is advised to avoid listening DBS and avoid insulting them. Chazy predicted this will happen. He understood his fans. He is a bit too selfish, that's all.

M2M wasn't Emo......wtf. that used to be a genre of music and now anyone that mentions hurt on a song gets the emo stamp. My chemical Romance had an album full of happy songs and they still got the emo stamp. Im so sick of american reviews. and its not linkin park. its nothing close to Linkin park. he 1 out of 6 band members. Chester wasnt trying to make a new sound, or just sell records. he had songs that he wrote and wanted to play them. every album someone puts out isnt meant to be groudbreaking.

Dead by sunrise is a good band but they arent amazing like Linkin park. that doesnt mean i dont like the album or think that chester did wrong by having a new band.