"One Step Closer: From Xero to #1: Becoming Linkin Park" Book

LPLStaff

There are many dvd unauthorized documentaries of LP they even use their name and pictures of the band

I just don't see why this would be blocked, actually it's pretty interesting 

It's hard to block a book release even for people that are way more important than Linkin Park, not even Trump could block the release of Bolton's book. 

Don't overreact. 

Any concerns that Jeff could be considered an "unreliable narrator"? Fact is, he knows a ton about the band's early history and origins. Just worried that he might embellish or change things for "dramatic purposes" or to make himself look more favorable.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Hybrid1988 said:

Any concerns that Jeff could be considered an "unreliable narrator"? Fact is, he knows a ton about the band's early history and origins. Just worried that he might embellish or change things for "dramatic purposes" or to make himself look more favorable.

Yes. That's what I was getting at in my earlier post in this thread lol. I don't think he would be writing a book to let us all know that he definitely wanted Mike out of the band or restricted to just keyboards. Plus the stuff with Chester basically telling him to fuck off after being told "You should be the star", him wanting Joe to wear a lab coat on stage, him showing the ITE demo to another rapper and then telling the band "This guy didn't like it, you should change the whole song". It doesn't sound like the band and he are on great terms, so the fact that he's writing a book about them at all is weird enough.

I would probably check it out and read it, but any completely outlandish claims I would take with a grain of salt.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, hahninator said:

Interesting. Jeff is probably not involved in the band's HT20 celebration because they don't have a good relationship with him (see: "Get Me Gone" by Fort Minor, & Mike's stream where he mentioned the "In the End" demo). So this is his opportunity to cash in on the album anniversary and blowout.

No doubt there will be good info here, and great photos especially. Check the photos of Chester on the cover without flames, and also of Mike's Xero tape. He saw Xero at the Whisky, so he probably has awesome info and photos. Jeff was very instrumental to LP getting signed and getting them to Warner but it's a shame he made the band so mad after they started recording the album.

What did Mike said over the stream? I'm very out of the loop

It would be interesting to see Jeff Blue's perspective, and his take on how all of this happened. It'd be great if the band would clear up any misinformation from the book, if there is any, but I don't think they would do that. They usually avoid press like this.

This ought to be an interesting book. It's always good to see an outside perspective. I've read a few of UK manager Simon Napier Bell's books (he managed various bands, most notably Wham) and you get to understand more about the business side of things (even if he sometimes criticises the members in the process).

The only book on Linkin Park I have is The Operator's Manual by Neil Daniels, which seems to be entirely fansite sourced and has no first hand information, so anything would be better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, martinez said:

I posted the sample because there are interesting things there, besides few pictures of the band, so maybe this will cause that more people will buy it.

(Example: The 3-Track DAT Tape with the names "Rhinestone", "Dreamer" and "Weight")

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a great read. I enjoyed the style and had to go through the whole thing in one day. I never really had an opinion about Jeff and his time with the band. But I guess we all should thank him and his efforts because he was probably THE key factor of LP becoming the band we all came to love.

His perspective felt sincere and self-reflecting, coming to terms with mistakes he made under immens pressure. But I totally get why especially Mike didn't take this situation so well. Still, without Jeff this band probably would have never happened in any familiar shape or form.

Personally the book was everything I hoped for and it amazed me how much information we still missed through 20+ years of the band existing. Reliving those days from an inside perspective made me smile a lot.

Just read the book over the last couple days, and loved every second of it. LP's interviews, like their music, always seem so rehearsed and overproduced. Not that this is a negative thing, but it leaves a lot of stones unturned. It was fascinating reading Jeff's recount of meeting Brad, discovering Xero, and hearing songs like "Blue" or "Rhinestone" for the first time. I was surprised by some of the details - like how long it took LP to offer Chester the lead singer role - and just flat out smiling ear to ear at other parts, like David Kahne going from hating the band to wanting to personally mix "Plaster."

Great read, and I wish there was more to it, or a documentary made from it, with Jeff's archive of tapes, flyers, etc. Would also love to hear the band respond to it, but I assume they'll just dismiss everything or say they don't remember. Still doesn't make any sense to me why they had a falling out with Jeff, despite the details he gives in the book. I can see LP wanting to be in control of their career, and hurt/insulted over the "Replace Mike with Mad Lion" stuff, but I'd think they would trust Jeff and realize what he put on the line for them enough to be amicable. 

• 1 year later...