"One Step Closer: From Xero to #1: Becoming Linkin Park" Book

LPLStaff

It seems like Jeff Blue, the band's original A&R guy in the Hybrid Theory era, is getting in on the Hybrid Theory 20 celebration with a new book titled "One Step Closer: From Xero to #1: Becoming Linkin Park".

From Amazon:

"The dramatic story of the unlikely partnership that led to “Hybrid Theory,” the biggest-selling debut album of the 21st Century.

From the unique perspective of the executive who discovered them, One Step Closer reveals how Brad Delson’s college internship was a catalyst for a group of young musical visionaries, led by Mike Shinoda, which gave rise to a band that survived countless rejections, exceeded everyone’s expectations but their own, and became the voice of a generation.

This against-all-odds story chronicles the early days of Linkin Park, from their first demo and Whisky a Go Go performance as Xero, through their tireless efforts to perfect their iconic sound and the discovery of Chester Bennington. Jeff Blue was there when no one else believed—first as their publisher, then as their A&R guy. This is his memoir of that incredible journey.

Riveting and inspiring, One Step Closer is a testament to perseverance, as well as a detailed behind-the-scenes account of the building of a dream and what it takes to make it. "

The book will be released on December 8, 2020.

54 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

Is it the first LP-related biographic book?

There is a book written by Brad Whitaker called "Everything is a Hybrid" available in Poland, but I haven't even seen an English title for this one. I don't know if it's available worldwide or it has been published only in some countries then. 

Interesting. Jeff is probably not involved in the band's HT20 celebration because they don't have a good relationship with him (see: "Get Me Gone" by Fort Minor, & Mike's stream where he mentioned the "In the End" demo). So this is his opportunity to cash in on the album anniversary and blowout.

No doubt there will be good info here, and great photos especially. Check the photos of Chester on the cover without flames, and also of Mike's Xero tape. He saw Xero at the Whisky, so he probably has awesome info and photos. Jeff was very instrumental to LP getting signed and getting them to Warner but it's a shame he made the band so mad after they started recording the album.

2 hours ago, hahninator said:

Interesting. Jeff is probably not involved in the band's HT20 celebration because they don't have a good relationship with him (see: "Get Me Gone" by Fort Minor, & Mike's stream where he mentioned the "In the End" demo). So this is his opportunity to cash in on the album anniversary and blowout.

No doubt there will be good info here, and great photos especially. Check the photos of Chester on the cover without flames, and also of Mike's Xero tape. He saw Xero at the Whisky, so he probably has awesome info and photos. Jeff was very instrumental to LP getting signed and getting them to Warner but it's a shame he made the band so mad after they started recording the album.

Maybe I'm dumb, but if never fully understood the J.Blue/LP relationship. Was he the guy who discovered them and fight for them to be signed at WB, but then, like many other people at the label back then, started throwing shit at them with the "You should fire that rapper". Sounds contradictory, and I don't know what to expect from this book

31 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Maybe I'm dumb, but if never fully understood the J.Blue/LP relationship. Was he the guy who discovered them and fight for them to be signed at WB, but then, like many other people at the label back then, started throwing shit at them with the "You should fire that rapper". Sounds contradictory, and I don't know what to expect from this book

There's an interview from the Minutes To Midnight era where Chester says Jeff Blue just gave in to the pressure of the label.

25 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

There's an interview from the Minutes To Midnight era where Chester says Jeff Blue just gave in to the pressure of the label.

But that does kind of justify his behaviour? Like "He ended up being a cunt but because they were telling him from above to do this and that". Anyway, thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, hahninator said:

Well they don't like Jeff currently so they aren't going to have a positive opinion on him releasing a tell-all book of the 1998-2000 time period from his perspective when LP is trying to celebrate the album's anniversary lol

Watch him claim the total opposite of everything we've heard about him so far lol. I can see it now: "The guys all came to me privately and said "We want Mike gone", but I told them that wouldn't be smart. I knew they had something special with the interplay between Mike and Chester's vocals."

Edited by Justin

Depending on just how much bad blood there is between the band and Jeff and whether Jeff got all the necessary licenses to use LP's name and image on this, I could potentially see this being the kind of thing that gets shut down with a lawsuit.

We'll see.

9 hours ago, Astat said:

Depending on just how much bad blood there is between the band and Jeff and whether Jeff got all the necessary licenses to use LP's name and image on this, I could potentially see this being the kind of thing that gets shut down with a lawsuit.

We'll see.

Yeah that's what I mean by band's views on it. Let's see what happens.