Linkin Park Debuts 'Good Goodbye' Lyrics

hahninator

"Don't you come back no more"? ....as in... no more, no more, no more, no more, hit the road Jack?

Wow. Still excited for the song though.

I get what they're doing here, releasing the lyrics first to keep in line with the whole "these came first!" thing. The lyrics aren't as amazing as they made it seem like they would be though.

Haha that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the chorus.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't give a Fuck about lyrics as long as the music sounds badass but they should stop saying in every interview that this album has their best song writing ever.

I think they struck their best balance between great songwriting and great music with A Thousand Suns.

These lyrics are shit people, let's face it. "Lyrics first" and the best they decide on is that chorus? I could've written that in 15 seconds.

I need to hear the other 7 songs, they all sound quite better judging by the descriptions, both in terms of lyrics and what we've already heard from them.

If this proves anything (Heavy, Battle Symphony, and these lyrics), it's that the band should go back to their old songwriting form. Failed experiment. But that's also a small sample set and I have yet to hear the full album as a whole. If you gave me Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks, and Skin To Bone I'd say the band had lost their collective minds and should try a new songwriting process - LOL.

At this point I am still wondering what the initial idea was of this album and the 'experiment' as a whole. I don't really believe it was at the songwriting at core at all. They may have tried a new approach, but I keep wondering why it all seems too obvious. I mean they work with one of the most used popsongwriters for Heavy and the song is the most obvious song you could expect from a Justin Tranter written track. Even without hearing this track, you get a certain obvious lyrical content from a featured guest (refering to 'hoes'). I mean LP is doing something different every record, but so far this record basically gives you exactly what you could have expected from just reading lyrics and songwriter/producer credits. It feels a bit too calculated, while I never used that word in relation to them :lol: I mean we have yet to hear this track and maybe as a whole it is actually a total suprise. But I hope some other album tracks give some more suprise as a whole and the credits don't give away too much :lol:

I feel like you guys are taking the "hoes" thing way too seriously. I understand that LP has never had that word in a song, and no it's not respectful of women....but honestly, not to sound like a kid passing blame but... Stormzy said it. Listen to his album, and I'm sure you would be at least close to if not IN the triple digits on how many times the word "hoe" is used. LP just didn't put a filter on what he could and could not say.

I feel like you guys are taking the "hoes" thing way too seriously. I understand that LP has never had that word in a song, and no it's not respectful of women....but honestly, not to sound like a kid passing blame but... Stormzy said it. Listen to his album, and I'm sure you would be at least close to if not IN the triple digits on how many times the word "hoe" is used. LP just didn't put a filter on what he could and could not say.

Doesn't matter. It's a Linkin Park song on a Linkin Park studio album, and if they don't want people to believe that they endorse the use of that word and all of the connotations that go with it, they should have made the executive decision to not allow it.

As an unapologetic feminist ally, I'm going to be judging them VERY harshly for this for a VERY long time.

Edited by Astat

What's weird is that Mike was in a SJW vibe last year. And now they accept the "hoe" thing.

If this is supposed to be sarcastic, then Stormzy is making fun of himself. And i don't think he would do that like this.

OML is a personal, very serious meaningful album. Why would they put a ironic/funny song on there? Doesn't seem to fit.

All lyrics were written based on their life problems, and this one was written based on "i was watching basketball..."

Edited by vinifeijo

What's weird is that Mike was in a SJW vibe last year. And now they accept the "hoe" thing.

If this is supposed to be sarcastic, then Stormzy is making fun of himself. And i don't think he would do that like this.

OML is a personal, very serious meaningful album. Why would they put a ironic/funny song on there? Doesn't seem to fit.

All lyrics were written based on their life problems, and this one was written based on "i was watching basketball..."

exactly! I don't understand this either. Why wouldn't Mike just save this song for a future Fort Minor release? IMO it would fit way better than on the most 'personal and emotional' LP album to date.

That is why I put big question marks on the actual things they are saying about this record, because for every thing they say, they seem to have something that contradicts it to some extend. I get they don't want to spoil too much, but it would be better if they would have made it clear that a big portion of the album was based on those conversations they had and that a part actually was influenced by other things, like watching basketball :lol: maybe things become more 'clear' once we hear the full record.

They never said they were all about life problems. Mike said every day they would think "what's on my mind today?" Combine that with him saying they would aim to write a song every day, and it's not hard to imagine one day he wrote about basketball.

Even serious albums could use a moment of levity.

Lead vocalist Chester Bennington explains that the group wanted “Good Goodbye” to apply to both “someone getting kicked out of a game, and someone getting out of a bad relationship.”

Did you even read this part or...

Lead vocalist Chester Bennington explains that the group wanted “Good Goodbye” to apply to both “someone getting kicked out of a game, and someone getting out of a bad relationship.”

Did you even read this part or...

They wrote a song about someone being kicked out of a game.....wow...just wow. I don't think these songs could be worse if they tried.

They wrote a song about someone being kicked out of a game.....wow...just wow. I don't think these songs could be worse if they tried.

But "crawling in my skin these wounds they will not heal", "we're building it up to bring it back down" or even our beloved "I wanna be in another place I hate when you say you don't understand" is better than this right? Besides, it's not like they wrote a song that says "hahahah you fouled out! You suck! See you next season!". It's about capturing that feeling.

Edited by Mesck547

This is both hilarious and sad to read through. Imagine getting rilled up over the tone of a single word from a guest spot on a sarcastic song.

Look at the facts:

This song is an outlier, so maybe the real emotional quality that was present in other songs isn't really in this one. This song is about the feeling of getting kicked out of a basketball game (which probably sucks) AND getting out of a bad relationship (which sucks even more).

It's a sarcastic song. In all the verses you can pretty much tell that none of it has a very serious tone. Mike's verse in particular feels really fun, not meant for some dark, "one thing I don't know why" bars.

These are guest spots. Why in the hell should they have to change their normal tone for something Linkin Park friendly? If they wanted that, they wouldn't have brought in these guest artists. Their own original tone is what will make the song stand out. If the use of a word or phrase is enough for you to completely dismiss this track and move on, get over yourself. You're allowed to not like the use of it but to make a huge deal out of it is just childish.

Good lyrics doesn't mean complexity. I'm not going to defend this song and say its a lyrical masterpiece. Hell, the chorus is probably the worst thing I've seen yet. But in general, people just don't realize what a "focus on lyrics" means. It's really easy to write something sappy and poetic and put it to a melody. To write a song that's essentially a conversation and carries a strong message all the same is really hard, but the band has managed to own that with the two previously released songs. I'm not going to judge this one yet because I haven't heard it, but given that it's an outlier and such I'm not going to hold it to the same standard. It's really obnoxious to keep seeing "these lyrics suck" because someone thinks "I don't like my mind right now" is a less honest and real phrase than "My mind is drowning in a sea of poison because I'm crawling in my skin".

That's my rant that'll undoubtedly come up again and again because people don't learn. :P One thing that's necessary for music in general (and especially given that Linkin Park is a highly versatile band) is to be open to new ideas and sounds. You may not like it, but to not even try is your own fault. The overarching negativity is really killing a lot of discussion here and it's sad to see. Channel negativity into something we can talk about rather than something people will read and have to feel bad about if they like the song. Don't censor yourself, but try and illicit something more than "this is ass."

The overarching negativity is really killing a lot of discussion here and it's sad to see. Channel negativity into something we can talk about rather than something people will read and have to feel bad about if they like the song. Don't censor yourself, but try and illicit something more than "this is ass."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Seriously, next time LP drops an album they shouldn't say anything about it. Every time it builds up this crazy hype train and almost everyone is let down with the first thing that comes out.

When LP says their next album has a harder, "in your face" sound, people expect HT part 2 (this happens with every new LP album)

When LP says their next album focusses on lyrics, everyone expects top notch lyrics that even the greatest poets couldn't write.

Every album cycle people are disappointed because Mike said something about the album in an interview and they expect a whole album to be like that description.

And yes, the lyrics are far from great, but lets just wait on the track and judge how it ends up all together. So far I think the new album definitely sounds good, although very different.

I agree with Soul about the lyrics of the guests, I think they are bringing in these artists to add something new to the song, something that is not necessarily 'LP', thats why they are guests on the album.

But "crawling in my skin these wounds they will not heal", "we're building it up to bring it back down" or even our beloved "I wanna be in another place I hate when you say you don't understand" is better than this right? Besides, it's not like they wrote a song that says "hahahah you fouled out! You suck! See you next season!". It's about capturing that feeling.

Look, I despise BID so I agree with you there. But I think the other ones are much better than this crap. I'm just surprised that an album that was supposedly all about the lyrics, has such painfully bad lyrics.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

What else is there really to say? They made a bunch of pop songs, supposedly based on these great lyrics, that a ton of people think are garbage. The music is boring, the lyrics are shit, and it all sounds very generic.

When LP says their next album has a harder, "in your face" sound, people expect HT part 2 (this happens with every new LP album)

When LP says their next album focusses on lyrics, everyone expects top notch lyrics that even the greatest poets couldn't write.

Astat said it perfectly once. People take Mike's word literally and they create their own expectations about the upcoming album to lately be likely disappointed.

Astat said it perfectly once. People take Mike's word literally and they create their own expectations about the upcoming album to lately be likely disappointed.

Yep thats what I meant, happens every album cycle. I believe even Mike said something about it, that he doesn't want to say whats the album gonna sound like, cause it will differ anyway