Linkin Park Debuts 'Good Goodbye' Lyrics

hahninator

Linkin Park has just released the lyrics for the next song from One More Light to be released - Good Goodbye. Like Heavy and Battle Symphony, the song's lyrics debuted on Genius.com. We do not know yet if this will be another promotional song or if it will be the second single from the album. Heavy is still charting well, so we assume the former.

'Good Goodbye' has been a track lots of us have been anticipating for awhile, ever since the news broke that it features Pusha T and Stormzy. There's also a lot of Mike rapping on the track, making it one of the few tracks on One More Light that will feature rapping. Mike also claimed that it's a song that doesn't sound like the rest of the record, and that it has a sarcastic tone to it. The band has filmed a music video for the track already (which was shot awhile ago, apparently, as they flew Stormzy out to L.A. to film it) that has a less serious tone to it. Everything about this track seems to be a big change of pace.

This isn't Pusha T's first rodeo with Linkin Park. He provided a verse on the 'I'll Be Gone' Vice Remix on RECHARGED.

The question now is when will the track be released. Well, looking at previous figures, we can assume that it'll be out within three or four days. Both the lyrics for 'Heavy' and 'Battle Symphony' were posted on Genius three days before the songs were released. We're looking at Thursday or Friday for 'Good Goodbye' from the looks of it. Perhaps the song is released in conjunction with the music video, since the latter has already had time for preparation.

“I’m a basketball fan,“ Shinoda tells Genius. "When I was writing this song, I wanted to capture that moment at the game when someone fouls out, and the cheerleaders sing and kick out the ejected player.”
Lead vocalist Chester Bennington explains that the group wanted “Good Goodbye” to apply to both “someone getting kicked out of a game, and someone getting out of a bad relationship.”

Lyrics:

[Chorus: Chester Bennington]
So say goodbye and hit the road
Pack it up and disappear
You better have some place to go
'Cause you can't come back around here
Good goodbye
(Don't you come back no more)
[Verse 1: Mike Shinoda]
Live from the rhythm, it's
Something wild, venomous
Enemies trying to read me
You're all looking highly illiterate
Blindly forgetting if I'm in the mix
You won't find an equivalent
I've been here killing it
Longer than you've been alive, you idiot
And it makes you so mad
Somebody else could be stepping in front of you
And it makes you so mad that you're not the only one
There's more than one of you
And you can't understand the fact
That it's over and done, hope you had fun
You've got a lot to discuss on the bus
Headed back where you're from
Pack it up and disappear
Good goodbye
[Verse 2: Pusha T]
Goodbye, good riddance
A period is after every sentence
Did my time with my cellmate
Maxed out so now we finished
Every day was like a hail date
Every night was like a hailstorm
Took her back to my tinted windows
Showin' out, she in rare form
Wings up, now I'm airborne
King Push, they got a chair for him
Make way for the new queen
The old lineup, where they cheer for 'em
Consequence when you ain't there for him
Were you there for him?
Did you care for him?
You were dead wrong
Pack it up and disappear
Good goodbye
[Verse 3: Stormzy]
Let me say goodbye to my demons
Let me say goodbye to my past life
Let me say goodbye to the darkness
Tell 'em that I'd rather be here in the starlight
Tell 'em that I'd rather be here where they love me
Tell 'em that I'm yours this is our life
And I still keep raising the bar like
Never seen a young black brother in the chart twice
Goodbye to the stereotypes
You can't tell my kings we can't
Mandem we're linking tings in parks
Now I gotta tune with Linkin Park
Like goodbye to my old hoe’s
Goodbye to the cold roads
I can't die for my postcode
Young little Mike from the Gold Coast
And now I'm inside with my bro bro's
Gang
Pack it up and disappear
Good goodbye

What do you think of the lyrics? Excited for the new song? Let us know your first reactions to them. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook so that you don't miss the song debut. You can read more about the song on its Linkinpedia page!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The verses really save this song. One of Mike's better verses from the past few albums, and I'm hyped for Pusha and Stormzy on this one. The chorus, though. Definitely my least favorite chorus of the three songs released so far.

The verses by all 3 look great n will probably sound killer but the chorus lol i mean come on the guys said they spent so long on this album to write best lyrics they have ever written n don't get me wrong i like heavy n battle symphony but lyrics are so so no better then lyrics they done in past and still think theres songs off other albums that are lyrically stronger. But still looking forward to hearing it

The chorus sounds like one of those terrible western songs about the bandit being forced to leave town

Needed another line about this place not being big enough for the two of us

Edited by GraDoN

"Don't you come back no more"? ....as in... no more, no more, no more, no more, hit the road Jack?

Wow. Still excited for the song though.

I get what they're doing here, releasing the lyrics first to keep in line with the whole "these came first!" thing. The lyrics aren't as amazing as they made it seem like they would be though.

Edited by Justin

Really guys? Those verses are bad. Look at them again.

Rakim's one on GATS was a killer, a real class of lyricism and deliver. No repetitions of words, an insane pattern.

Those lyrics are gangsta shitty raps, rap battle "i'm better than you" all over again.

Hope the sounding can compensate.

Really guys? Those verses are bad. Look at them again.

Rakim's one on GATS was a killer, a real class of lyricism and deliver. No repetitions of words, an insane pattern.

Those lyrics are gangsta shitty raps, rap battle "i'm better than you" all over again.

Hope the sounding can compensate.

Guessing that's why Mike said it was different from any other song on the album. It departs from the personal, introspective nature of the other songs.

I don't think I've EVER used the term "selling out" unironically at any point in the nearly 14 years I've been part of this community, but I have to say that Linkin Park allowing a line that refers to "hoes" to appear on an album is something that meets my definition of selling out. I realize this line was already crossed with the I'll Be Gone remix, but that was a remix, after all.

The whole Stormzy verse, at best, has really awful lyrics.

We will see how the song sounds. Not a lot of faith since the music came last in the process and the lyrics were worked on for a majority of the sessions.

If this proves anything (Heavy, Battle Symphony, and these lyrics), it's that the band should go back to their old songwriting form. Failed experiment. But that's also a small sample set and I have yet to hear the full album as a whole. If you gave me Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks, and Skin To Bone I'd say the band had lost their collective minds and should try a new songwriting process - LOL.

I don't think I've EVER used the term "selling out" unironically at any point in the nearly 14 years I've been part of this community, but I have to say that Linkin Park allowing a line that refers to "hoes" to appear on an album is something that meets my definition of selling out. I realize this line was already crossed with the I'll Be Gone remix, but that was a remix, after all.

I think the most likely thing is that when they got Stormzy's verse, apparently late in the process, they didn't wanna say "hey man you need to change this line or your verse won't make the song". After all, they realized he was huge and probably wanted his voice on the song.

Which I guess is selling out lol. Still though I mean..I didn't even think about it that way until you pointed it out. If it was Mike I would have been shocked. With Stormzy though I think they just figured that "featuring Stormzy" was worth allowing "hoe" in the song.

Personally I would rather have had 2 Mike verses, regardless of what Stormzy's lyrics were, but whatever.

This was always going to be the worst song on the album.

The new process seems like it's going to be the strongest album lyric wise, with the music being a little stripped back, so far Heavy and BS certainly prove this.

However the verses featuring the two random people with stupid names are horrible... but not unexpected.

Guessing that's why Mike said it was different from any other song on the album. It departs from the personal, introspective nature of the other songs.

It's a departure cause all the other songs are awesome and this song sucks.

Mike, pls stop. You just can't pull off that braggadocio style.

We're 3 songs in and I can't see how exactly they benefited from writing lyrics first. I haven't seen anything that is a huge improvement over their past material.

Hoping the beat is good. Maybe then I can just tune out the lyrics and listen to it like a piece of ear candy.

The lyrics look way better than the ones for Battle Symphony and Heavy if you ask me, except for the chorus which is pretty much the same level. Plus, I'm very excited to hear Stormzy and Pusha on the track.

Well, it's Stormzy's verse. He wrote it and that's just his style. I'm cool with it.