LPU 16 has launched

RogueSoul

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We heard this catalyst demo remember hearing it in a trailer for a Japanese game

Wrong. There was an alternate mix of The Catalyst, but it did NOT have altered lyrics. Don't you think if your statement was true, SOMEONE in the entirety of the Linkin Park community would have noticed that oh hey, there's a Catalyst alternate mix with different lyrics out there, at some point in the last...SIX AND A HALF YEARS?!

This is what you're thinking of, by the way: http://www.lpassociation.com/forum/threads/gundam-game-trailer-featuring-the-catalyst-released.32194/?t=32194

Edited by Astat

We heard this catalyst demo remember hearing it in a trailer for a Japanese game

As Astat said, you got it wrong. The one you're thinking of is more of an unfinished version of the final song from the album just before they released it as a single, while the demo has clearly different lyrics near the end. I think everyone knew that the moment we could be able to hear both, song and the "Medal of Honor" version, in 2010 lol

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

It's funny to me that Burberry and Dark Crystal are from StageLight demos that are almost 4 years old and they are passed off as 2015. I highly doubt that Air Force One is even from 2015 as well. Actually, I don't even think ANY of the demos that we have received since LPU9 are even legit. I think they just get together and spend a day or a few hours making random instrumentals and a few vocal songs and throw them together. The demos of songs that have made the cut onto main albums were probably just re-recorded, we probably aren't even getting the actual demos for those songs. I've thought this for years now and the whole Burberry thing just really confirmed it for me. I first started thinking about it with shit like Homecoming on LPU12. It sounded finished for the most part, like Chance Of Rain or something, and I can almost guarantee that they just muted the vocals off of it before giving it to us because they didn't want people to hear it or whatever. It sounded way too polished and primed for vocals to not have been. I also think stuff like the Faint and Bleed It Out demos probably had chorus vocals from Chester or something that they didn't want people to have recordings of, so they were muted and/or replaced with random jibberish. You can almost tell with the Bleed It Out demo that the gibberish lyrics were from a different recording than the vocals in the verses, most noticeable at the end of the track with Mike's rapping and the gibberish lyrics clash. People can argue that LP is re-using Space Station for the new album but I don't believe that at all. The band has never been comfortable giving us demos in the past, fans literally begged for them in the old days and they would never really give us anything. I think they felt guilty after LPU8 and the reception it originally had and that's how LPU9 happened. But they probably figure, how will they know if these tracks are legit or not? And if people do get suspicious, they'll just come off as crazy. I've seen people not even know what Space Station is and thought Burberry was a legit 2015 demo. Only the super hardcore fans are going to question stuff like this and know facts about this kind of stuff. I've also seen people say that people don't have a right to complain because it's free. Technically, it's not supposed to be free, and what kind of logic is that? People aren't allowed to complain about a product? People can't be unsatisfied with music? Music is 100% subjective and always has been. But also, yes, I am grateful that the band is releasing stuff to us each year. I always get excited each November that we MIGHT be getting some sick shit on the LPU CD, but I'm usually disappointed each time around. I just think that the band isn't 100% honest when it comes to these LPU CD's and I don't think they even really care about what they're putting out on these anyways. But back to the whole 2015 thing, I honestly believe that they just took these instrumentals that they had laying around from years ago and purposely picked ones that somewhat sounded like stuff they have been working on over the past few years and threw the 2015 date on them and slapped them on the CD. Not only do I think that the band feels uncomfortable giving us music from the new album sessions before the album comes out, but I don't think Warner really likes that idea, either. And you can argue that they have gave us stuff like this is in the past, with A.06 before Meteora came out, and Announcement Service Public and Qwerty before MTM came out, but I guarantee A.06 and Announcement Service Public weren't selections to make the final album and we already knew Qwerty wasn't being considered for the album a while before LPU6 came out. Like I said, I don't think the band themselves even feel comfortable doing that to this current day and I don't think Warner likes that idea, either.

I don't get why so many people say that the 2015 demos are not really from 2015. Maybe they took the old demos from StageLight like Space Station and tried to work with them again! That is what musicians do. If you are not happy with the version of the song you can always go back to it and work on it again.

I don't get why so many people say that the 2015 demos are not really from 2015. Maybe they took the old demos from StageLight like Space Station and tried to work with them again! That is what musicians do. If you are not happy with the version of the song you can always go back to it and work on it again.

this

The problem with Burberry is that it's the same song as Space Station. Nothing was changed, it was just shortened. This isn't the first time the band has shortened (or edited or removed elements of) a demo before releasing it to the LPU (remember LPU 9.0?), but it's the first time they release a shortened version of a song we already had with a different date.

It's also a fact that the dates on the LPU demos aren't always accurate (Remember Slip, Blue and So Fay Away?). Also, if you bought the digital version of LPU 16 from the LPU Store you might have noticed a few demos tagged with different dates from what you see in the official tracklist (Bleed It Out, Consequence A, Consequence B). I'm not saying the "2011 Demo" tag for those three demos are correct, I'm saying mistakes happen.

Another thing that I find odd in this release is that the demos are all from the exact year their respective albums were released. Can’t Hurt Me dates from 2014, all the demos from the A Thousand Suns sessions date from 2010, and Bleed It Out dates from 2007. We first heard about Bleed It Out in 2006 and they already mentioned it having vocals. I think they have no clue about when those demos were actually recorded.

. I think they have no clue about when those demos were actually recorded.

Well that's pretty stupid if they don't. Surely they have access to all that info and it might just require like 20 mins of time. It's kind of sad when the fan base can label the dates for demos correctly and the actual band can't.

Well that's pretty stupid if they don't. Surely they have access to all that info and it might just require like 20 mins of time. It's kind of sad when the fan base can label the dates for demos correctly and the actual band can't.

This

Edited by HybridT

If I remember correctly, Mike has been corrected a few times when it comes to dates of demos, Chester joining, etc, and he basically said none of the band know what they're talking about.

If I remember correctly, Mike has been corrected a few times when it comes to dates of demos, Chester joining, etc, and he basically said none of the band know what they're talking about.

Maybe it would be easier to just label them as stuff like ''Minutes To Midnight Demo'' or ''Meteora Demo'' like they have done on LPU12 for instance. Maybe that's easy enough for the band, but who knows, they might even get the damn album wrong for the demos, too. LOL.

Edited by Geki

>Actually, I don't even think ANY of the demos that we have received since LPU9 are even legit. I think they just get together and spend a day or a few hours making random instrumentals and a few vocal songs and throw them together.

That's a heck of a conspiracy theory. I don't think they spend that much time giving us underground albums. I'd say at this point it could be all Mike/Brad just figuring out what they can't release and moving from there. To say that in the past 6 years they've spent days and days just making 60 fake demos for the fans seems ridiculous.

> I've thought this for years now and the whole Burberry thing just really confirmed it for me

Four years is a lot of time. For us fans, all we do is wait and consume what the band releases. For the band, in that span they've released two albums, 4 underground albums, a remix album, and toured to countless places. On top of that they have their own lives to handle outside of the band. If Mike seriously knew Burberry and Space Station were the same demo and it had already been released I don't think he would have. People forget, they're human. To me that's the easiest scenario and the one that makes the most sense. More sense than the band re-recording demos for us in their off time.

> I can almost guarantee that they just muted the vocals off of it before giving it to us because they didn't want people to hear it or whatever.

I don't disagree with that. But to think they only have one demo for every song is crazy to think too. My guess is for every track they have multiple versions. If the choice arose for the Bleed it Out demo was release the version with a chorus they might revisit vs. a version with mumbled lyrics, it's a no-brainer.

>think they felt guilty after LPU8 and the reception it originally had and that's how LPU9 happened

Absolutely agree. That said, LPU9 was seven years ago. I doubt their releasing stuff in 2016 based off of the reception they got in 2008.

> I've also seen people say that people don't have a right to complain because it's free.

I don't think people say they don't have a right because it's free. I say you should not complain because free or not, demos released yearly is not something that many bands do. Linkin Park don't have to do this for anybody. I'm sure it would have been easier to relinquish rights to the LPU years ago. Who cares if they make a little money or cover their margins? They don't have to do this for anybody. If they wanted to make money they would rush albums out faster than they do already with subpar product. They'd release a greatest hits album already, they'd release collabs and more features. IF they wanted more money, there are many more ways to make it outside of a fan club.

>People aren't allowed to complain about a product? People can't be unsatisfied with music?

People absolutely can. I think complaining about the quality of the T-shirt, bundle, shipping, etc. is more than fair. And as for the music, people can be unsatisfied with it. I'll move back to the old point though, that the alternative is nothing. This isn't the same thing as going 3 years from Meteora without a true LP album, LPU should be treated as a bonus

>But back to the whole 2015 thing, I honestly believe that they just took these instrumentals that they had laying around from years ago and purposely picked ones that somewhat sounded like stuff they have been working on over the past few years and threw the 2015 date on them and slapped them on the CD. Not only do I think that the band feels uncomfortable giving us music from the new album sessions before the album comes out, but I don't think Warner really likes that idea, either. And you can argue that they have gave us stuff like this is in the past, with A.06 before Meteora came out, and Announcement Service Public and Qwerty before MTM came out, but I guarantee A.06 and Announcement Service Public weren't selections to make the final album and we already knew Qwerty wasn't being considered for the album a while before LPU6 came out. Like I said, I don't think the band themselves even feel comfortable doing that to this current day and I don't think Warner likes that idea, either.

Agree 100%. Especially the fact they're uncomfortable releasing music. I think the LPU (11?) with Slip and Blue was amazing. But Mike finding them in his closet after forgetting about them kinda cements the fact that they don't put much thought into it. Some are going to be better years than others, sometimes I think it just takes luck to get a better year (subjectively)

Just my opinion..

Re: LPU dates.
LPU9 is 100% accurate IMO.
LPUX: Oh No is probably 1999 (currently has no date on it)
LPU11: Yo is probably 2006 (currently has no date on it), Slip is 1999 not 1998, Soundtrack is 2002 (currently no date) like Program and Broken Foot. Bang Three is 2007 I bet, since it was the last MTM song done. NRG. Robot Boy 2010. Esaul 1999, Blue 1999.
LPU12: Homecoming 2006, POA 1999/2000, Clarity/Asbestos/Bunker 2006, So Far Away 1999 not 1998, Pepper/Ominous 2002, Forgotten 1999/2000. Debris 2006.
LPU13: Basquiat 2006 not 2007, Apaches/Foot Patrol/Three Band Terror 2011.
LPU14 is 100% accurate IMO.
LPU15 is all accurate except Attached has to be 2002 to me....so if 11 tracks are accurate, what's the chance Attached is wrong? Pretty low. So who knows. Meteora recording finished by December 2002.
LPU16: Who knows? Burberry is Space Station (released w/ Bruiser), so could be 2010. LGM really 2010? BIO is 2006, not 2007. The rest seems good, but questionable on the 2014-2015 demos.

Just my opinion..

Re: LPU dates.
LPU9 is 100% accurate IMO.
LPUX: Oh No is probably 1999 (currently has no date on it)
LPU11: Yo is probably 2006 (currently has no date on it), Slip is 1999 not 1998, Soundtrack is 2002 (currently no date) like Program and Broken Foot. Bang Three is 2007 I bet, since it was the last MTM song done. NRG. Robot Boy 2010. Esaul 1999, Blue 1999.
LPU12: Homecoming 2006, POA 1999/2000, Clarity/Asbestos/Bunker 2006, So Far Away 1999 not 1998, Pepper/Ominous 2002, Forgotten 1999/2000. Debris 2006.
LPU13: Basquiat 2006 not 2007, Apaches/Foot Patrol/Three Band Terror 2011.
LPU14 is 100% accurate IMO.
LPU15 is all accurate except Attached has to be 2002 to me....so if 11 tracks are accurate, what's the chance Attached is wrong? Pretty low. So who knows. Meteora recording finished by December 2002.
LPU16: Who knows? Burberry is Space Station (released w/ Bruiser), so could be 2010. LGM really 2010? BIO is 2006, not 2007. The rest seems good, but questionable on the 2014-2015 demos.

Only one that I disagree with you on is Heartburn off of LPU XIV. I think it's 2006, not 2007.

Actually, I don't even think ANY of the demos that we have received since LPU9 are even legit. I think they just get together and spend a day or a few hours making random instrumentals and a few vocal songs and throw them together.

I'm tending to think similarly in the last time. Especially Blue and Slip sound too clean for me. I don't know whether it was already discussed elsewhere but Mike's voice sounds deeper and more "adult"-like on those, compare it with Rhinestone or Fuse. I still think that the song layouts are coming from the respective time periods but at some points it doesn't fit.

Anyway, my LP playlist consists at about 70% of LPU tracks, despite being also slightly disappointed every November. Usually I come across some LPU tracks months later and have to admit "that's fucking awesome!".

I'm tending to think similarly in the last time. Especially Blue and Slip sound too clean for me. I don't know whether it was already discussed elsewhere but Mike's voice sounds deeper and more "adult"-like on those, compare it with Rhinestone or Fuse. I still think that the song layouts are coming from the respective time periods but at some points it doesn't fit.

Anyway, my LP playlist consists at about 70% of LPU tracks, despite being also slightly disappointed every November. Usually I come across some LPU tracks months later and have to admit "that's fucking awesome!".

I've thought this since I heard Coal on LPUX. How is it that a demo from 1997 sounds as good as an album made in 2012 or 2014 for example? Especially since Mike said earlier this year that the version of the Xero tape from 1997 is the highest quality recording out there. How does a demo from the same year have a super high quality version and there are no high quality masters of that tape? Very weird. Good point about Slip and Blue as well. I don't think these demos are 100% fake as songs obviously, but I've been thinking that they just re-record the songs with whatever year they're releasing the LPU album for. Every track from LPU9 through LPU16 have around the same quality and the years span from 1997 to 2015. Very weird. They might not want us having the original demos of shit and would rather give us tweaked up and re-recorded versions of songs. They could just polish them up and remaster them as well, but I'm not sure how much you can do for the really older tracks like Coal or Oh No, etc. Edited by Geki

Only one that I disagree with you on is Heartburn off of LPU XIV. I think it's 2006, not 2007.

Agreed, that one slipped by me.

Coal could have been recorded in 1997 after the Xero tape and recorded to the same thing Mike recorded Pods to. It sounds great, but the Xero tape might have been an exception in terms of quality in that era (meaning it sounded worse than other songs recorded that year by Mike since it was recorded directly to tape).

Need an Astat opinion honestly.

I've just listened to the album, and I think it's awesome, I've loved all the songs (except for LGM demo). If the new album sounds anything like the "2015 and 2014 demos", if they really are from that time period (probably not), then I'm freaking excited as fuck. I would have nothing against it sounding like this. What dissappointed me the most was the fact thet the most of the songs were way too short, making the album itself too short.

It's funny to me that Burberry and Dark Crystal are from StageLight demos that are almost 4 years old and they are passed off as 2015.

Is Dark Crystal from StageLight?

The problem with Burberry is that it's the same song as Space Station. Nothing was changed, it was just shortened. This isn't the first time the band has shortened (or edited or removed elements of) a demo before releasing it to the LPU (remember LPU 9.0?), but it's the first time they release a shortened version of a song we already had with a different date.

Well, the mix and some of the sounds got different too, than on Space Station. I have no idea what's the point of releasing a shortened version with some tweaks to the sound, of a demo that was already released. Now I wonder if Burberry is a demo of Space Station, or opposite, or they decided to make a song out of the demo for an album after they released Space Station.