LPU 16 has launched

RogueSoul

First Impressions:

The Catalyst: Almost identical to the album version other than the bridge lyrics but it's fine, but I don't think one line of lyrics changing doesn't constitute a reason to release this as a demo. The vocal take was different too and you can tell, but since it seems like it was before any autotune or touchups were done, it's nice to hear Chester's (probably) raw performance at the parts that don't have any effects.

Can't Hurt Me: I love it. With the pop song chords at first, I thought this was going to be one of the pre-Hunting Party pop songs that Mike had written, but it just got so good. I like the rising guitar in it, just a little too quiet. The synth bridge reminds me of an old Nine Inch Nails synth voice. Another highlight is the drums toward the end.

Dark Crystal: This doesn't remind me of Linkin Park in many ways, maybe just the structure and the way it builds. Not really my thing, but no major complaints. Nice to see a demo like this and that Mike has still been doing hip-hop centric demos like this even today (well, 2015).

Air Force One: Nothing really grabs me here.

Bleed It Out: Mike's flow is pretty good on here and I like the lyrics. I wish the drums would come in at the start of the second verse like on the album instead of right before the chorus. I really like the very end when Mike starts rapping again. The bass is a little different but it's cool; the light piano is a nice touch too.

Consequence A and B: A should stay the way it is an be the intro to a full song; I can't really picture it fitting on ATS or even LT though. B is weird.

Lies Greed Misery: Wait wasn't the demo called Piledriver? Kinda cool how Mike was laying out ideas on this but it was just the one loop. I'd like to hear what the demo sounded like when it got the full structure the way that LGM sounds on LT.

Burberry: Too short, could be really cool though.

Symphonies Of Light Reprise: ACOUSTIC!!! This could have been a great outro to ATS if the band hadn't written The Messenger - I wonder how that decision went down. I like how the synth from The Catalyst comes back in, but it should have been on a piano or something acoustic so it wouldn't clash.

I like it more than I like the last two LPU releases but I wish the short songs were at least full, other than the ones that were possibly intended as interludes. It's nice that we are getting more recent demos, so I wonder if they have reached the bottom of the barrel for old demos. Other than demos of songs that are on the old albums that haven't been released yet (PMA, Numb, etc.), I wonder if there are any other finished songs that haven't been released yet.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the CD this year. Not the best, but I really enjoy Can' Hurt Me. Would've liked to hear some vocals on it!

Dark Crystal got me in the zone haha, I was at the gym as I listened to the new LPU and this one surprised me.

Bleed It Out kind of disappointed me because I was anticipating it to be one of those 'complete demo' songs they have on the LPU CD's, glad we got a new Shinoda rap, that is cool. Also a different idea of how the bridge could've sounded.

Consequences A & B were really good especially once the melody kicked in, A sounds better, but I like B because it's a bit longer.

Lies Greed Misery (Demo) reminded me of a Kanye track for some reason with Mikes gibberish delivery, I actually kind of dig it. Could have been a cool intro honestly.

Symphonies of Light would have probably been the real end to ATS or a transition to The Messenger. It's short, but cool to hear it.

Edited by BrandonR24

Did a trial version exist like LPU15?

And also someone know why I can't see the lputv videos even if I have an account?

Not sure about a trial version, I don't think there is, but like I said, I'm not sure. As for the LPUTV videos, there is probably some kind of a bug with the site...

Not sure about a trial version, I don't think there is, but like I said, I'm not sure. As for the LPUTV videos, there is probably some kind of a bug with the site...

The site says me exclusive content, but as I say I have an lp account.

Not sure if a membership is needed

Edited by stich

Catalyst is definitely mixed differently, sounds dope though. New lyrics are cool.
Would love to hear Can't Hurt Me with vocals. This is super dope! Really hoping that's from after THP because I would love LP7 to sound like this!
Not feeling Dark Crystal/Air Force One/Bleed It Out (The old lyrics are awful)/Consequence A/Symphonies of Blinding Light
Consequence B is not bad. I could see this being developed into a sick rap rock song but with a Chester singing over a Hip-Hop beat instead of Mike rapping over rock.
Lies Greed Misery and Blurberry are dope! Definitely two of the better tracks.

Overall Can't Hurt Me is my one takeaway for these demos. Not the biggest fan of instrumentals, especially unfinished, but I really Like what I heard here!

My favorites:
1. Can't Hurt Me
2. The Catalyst (almost the same song and I love that song)
3. Lies Greed Misery

Edited by Bliss

Also, is there a place where I can find all the LPU tracklists in one place? I don't own anything pre-2009 and while I know most of what came out, I just want to look at the official tracklists to compare.

I think this is the closest we have:

http://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=List_Of_Songs_By_Linkin_Park#LP_Underground

Thanks. I actually deleted that part of my comment as I found something. This has them all: http://wiki.lpassociation.com/index.php?title=LP_Underground_15

Also, Does anyone know if the Bi-monthly releases from LUP15 can be retroactively purchased/downloaded?

Edited by Bliss

Thanks. I actually deleted that part of my comment as I found something. This has them all: http://wiki.lpassociation.com/index.php?title=LP_Underground_15

Also, Does anyone know if the Bi-monthly releases from LUP15 can be retroactively purchased/downloaded?

As far as I know, anyone with an LPU membership can download those bi-monthly releases for free. But if you join now you will have to pay for the ones on the disc.

I would have freaked out if Dark crystal became an actual song, whether for LP or Fort minor, it's so awesome and dark, I love that ominous atmosphere. Can't say I disliked any of the demos, all were great and some of them really could have been worked out a little bit more to be included on an album.

I would have freaked out if Dark crystal became an actual song, whether for LP or Fort minor, it's so awesome and dark, I love that ominous atmosphere. Can't say I disliked any of the demos, all were great and some of them really could have been worked out a little bit more to be included on an album.

I love your coconut picture :lol: