LPU 16 has launched

RogueSoul

I thought Mike's verses On the the BIO demo where epic, but That's just me, I enjoyed this CD ALOT! my favorite behind LPU11. Wish some of the songs where longer though...

MY IN DEPTH REVIEW

1 The Catalyst (Demo 2010)

Good, but not great, wish it was a little more different from the final demo. 7/10

2 Can't Hurt Me (2014 Demo)

Better than Catalyst demo IMO, Loved the guitar progression, sounds like a mix of THP/LT to me. 8.5/10

3 Dark Crystal (2015 Demo)

Another one I enjoyed had a hip hop feel to it and slowly progressed into more of an alternative feel, Sounds like it would be on a video game tbh. This was probably my 2nd favorite 9/10

4 Air Force One (2015 Demo)

Cool but short, Kinda reminds of LT a little, but more poppy, I enjoy it however 7/10

5 Bleed It Out (Demo 2007)

Most likley from 2006 as Geki Said, but I LOVE Mike's Verses, it's personal to me too, Because I Went through something what the verses said a little over a year ago, That's probably why I enjoy it so much! 10/10

6 Consequence A (2010 Demo)

I wish This was longer It sounded kinda cool but unfortunate that it's short 6/10

7 Consequence B (2010 Demo)

I Think I liked this one better than Consequence A by a longshot, I liked the beat a lot again wish it was longer! 7.5/10

8 Lies Greed Misery (2010 Demo)

One of The Only demos I really didn't like, It sounded kind of annoying with the repeated gibberish... 4/10

9 Burberry (2015 Demo)

If this hadn't been released before, and wasn't so short I would've enjoyed it more, I however never listened to Space Station, so I actually kind of enjoyed the song... 4/10

10 Symphonies Of Light Reprise (2010 Demo)

Liked this one, Feel that It could be on ATS as an interlude. 8.5/10

Overall I thought this album was great... As I said It's my 2nd favorite, but I still feel LPU11 and LPU13 edges it out,

PROS

BIO Demo is epic

Songs from this album's writing sessions

ATS Demos!

CONS

Short songs

LGM Demo Sucked

Space Station Rereleased

OVERALL SCORE 7.15/10

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only say that the I think the BIO demo is from 2006 because they were writing at the Houdini House until like the end of 2006 and then went to NRG in January and February of 2007 to finish up mastering and mixing, etc. After that they shot the photoshoot and WID video in March 2007, etc.

I guess it's possible they could have completed BIO at NRG in early 2007 but the final version of BIO used the background noise from a party that they had at the studio. I highly doubt this party took place at NRG in early 2007, it was most likely from a party at the Houdini House. I suppose they could have recorded the party prior and suddenly wanted to use it for the track but that just seems crazy to me. This version still had gibberish vocals for the chorus and other sections and like I said, I don't think it's the first incarnation of the song, but surely an earlier version of it.

Edited by Geki

Agreed.

In my opinion BIO is 2006 (weird it's missing the #84 tag Mike mentioned in the video, or the Accident title). How is Burberry 2015? Do you think the band revisited it for the new album maybe?

And they took the LGM demo from 2010 and really revisited it for LT?

Doesn't the LP Facebook video say two 2015 demos and one 2014 demo? Maybe Burberry is really mislabeled, like the BIO download says 2011 on accident (typo).

Agreed.

In my opinion BIO is 2006 (weird it's missing the #84 tag Mike mentioned in the video, or the Accident title). How is Burberry 2015? Do you think the band revisited it for the new album maybe?

And they took the LGM demo from 2010 and really revisited it for LT?

Doesn't the LP Facebook video say two 2015 demos and one 2014 demo? Maybe Burberry is really mislabeled, like the BIO download says 2011 on accident (typo).

Burberry could be mislabeled, you're right.

I was expecting the #84 tag as well for BIO and I assumed it would be labeled as Accident. Hell, even was even published in Rolling Stone Magazine that it was called Accident. As for the date, I'm starting to think that Mike just sees the name Bleed It Out and calls it 2007 since MTM came out in 2007. I don't think he cares what the tracks are labeled as and he probably assume that the fans won't notice or care, but the hardcore fans definitely do notice.

Edited by Geki

True, Burberry could be mislabeled, and really from 2011, which would make sense because Space Station came out in 2012. Wow, good point. Also, I was expecting the #84 tag as well and I assumed it would be labeled as Accident. Hell, even was even published in Rolling Stone Magazine that it was called Accident. But I don't care about the titles being wrong. I think the wrong dates are way more annoying. I think the reason that this happens is Mike just takes whatever year the file was last worked on and calls it that. Which means the song could have been written in 2006 but maybe it was edited extremely slightly, like a 1 second edit, and it would show that is the last time it was worked on, you know? Would make sense for a lot of the mislabeled demos.

Also, I saw that someone above said Dark Crystal was way too hip-hop sounding and could be used for Pusha T or someone, etc. but once 1:07 comes in, it sounds like LP, IMO. Obviously not the typical LP sound, but it sounds LPish to me. The one thing that surprised me with these new demos is how electronic and techno sounding they are. Almost like ATS in a way, that's exciting. I don't really think Dark Crystal is as hip-hopish as it is electronic/techno, though. Air Force One sounds like a soundtrack for a late 80's/early 90's video game for like Sega Genesis or something, and that's fucking dope.

It's like Mike couldn't resist using his usual drum samples

Dark Crystal is just Mike being totally inspired by Purity Ring, look for Begin Again and you'll believe me.

The Catalyst is more like an alternative vocal take similar to the Robot Boy from another LPU CD

I''ll take that version over the album version I always thought that the ending sounded extremely repetitive and with those extra lyrics it's perfect to me!

Dark Crystal and Air Force One remind me so much of Tron. The electronic vibe of those demos makes me want to hear more stuff that sounds like that, and I totally understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm a sucker for the creepy piano sound/hip-hop beat in Dark Crystal and the up-beat/soothing electronic pop sound in Air Force One. I hope the new album incorporates similar sounds from those 2 demos.

Dark Crystal and Air Force One remind me so much of Tron. The electronic vibe of those demos makes me want to hear more stuff that sounds like that, and I totally understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm a sucker for the creepy piano sound/hip-hop beat in Dark Crystal and the up-beat/soothing electronic pop sound in Air Force One. I hope the new album incorporates similar sounds from those 2 demos.

Dark Crystal does sound kind of creepy, doesn't it? Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Bleed It Out

v1

How did this all come back around
Left for dead when I hit the ground

After everything

Now I've found
That you've set me up just to knock me down

Here and now is where this begins

I don't know what your sickness is

But I do know what the difference is

You just show that face for your witnesses

Just talk and talk and talk and lie

With every little word

You rot inside

You're not really gonna stop and try

To make right of the wrong you've caught me by

So I know what's happening

I see that web you're trappin' in

You can kid yourself now all you want

I'm not falling for that again

CH
Jibberish melody

v2

Forget about all that who and when
The hurt you knew that drew me in

The dirt you rubbed my bruises in

The guilt that I felt when the rules were bent

This is where the brand new begins

This is where the confusion ends

I don't care if I lose or win

I just know that I don't want to pretend

So just talk and talk and laugh and grin

Here we go just like that again

Back to get stabbed in the back again

Like the last time wasn't just practicing

This time here's what's happening

Edited by Geki

Gave it a listen. First impressions are kinda mixed. While I found interesting some of the 2014-2015 demos and how weird and creepy they sound (Dark Crystal and Air Force One), I expected more from other demos.

I was suprised by the end of The Catalyst demo, interesting take, similar to Robot Boy's LPU11 demo as someone said above. Can't Hurt Me seems more like a late random demo from THP, nothing special for me. As always, when I hear an unreleased demo and Mike has completely different verses on it, I get excited, I get bumped, and I wasn't disappointed with BIO. I dig the original song, I dig this one too. I'll pass Consequence A/B cause there's not much to say, two instrumentals with a cool Hip-Hop beat on track B. VERY disappointed I was with LGM, I expected some cool verses or even vocals overall, but instead we get this. Shortened version of Space Station with Burberry, nothing new, next. Wow, this short demo got me hyped, expected to be longer but it was short, cool different version of The Catalyst, reminds me of The Radiance played live during 2010-2011.

Overall it isn't in my top 3 (LPUX, LPU9 and LPU11) but hell as I'm sure it is better than LPU15.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

In addition to Consequence and Burberry (Space Station) as previously mentioned, portions of Dark Crystal were previously released in Stagelight sound packs as well (check out "BASSARP A2" in the Mixed Loops folder of the second pack).

...And like Burberry, it's a demo that's supposedly from 2015, which really makes me question their intentions in trying to call some of this stuff recent material...

Edited by Astat

If they are saying it's from 2015, then they could be wrong about all the others demo too.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't know if anyone noticed, but Bleed It Out, Consequence A and Consequence B were all tagged as "2011 Demo" (even with the file names saying otherwise). Then we have a 2015 demo of a song that was released in 2012 and a 2015 demo of a song that already existed in 2014.