LPCatalog Exclusive: Hahn Meteora Vinyl

hahninator

Recently, a vinyl that Joe used on stage popped up in the community that fans hadn't seen before and after some research, it appeared that it was legit (and unreleased). We already are familiar with two of Joe's vinyls (Tasty Gas Station Breaks and Projekt Revolution Breaks), which we've offered up for download before. This one is titled "Mr. Hahn Fucks Up Meteora Style"...we are unsure if that's a confirmed name or not by Joe, as it could just be a street nickname for the vinyl.

LPCatalog just bought the vinyl, had it ripped professionally and has a download ready for us now, complete with a FULL rundown by Astat:

"You guys might know the backstory on this already...it's Joe's scratch/sample vinyl from the Meteora touring cycle. It contains a lot of what I expected, however I was not aware of the fact that Joe used this vinyl EXCLUSIVELY for Meteora songs, and apparently had a separate one for all of the Hybrid Theory stuff (he may have continued using the Gas Station Breaks vinyl for some Hybrid Theory stuff, or he could have had new vinyls pressed). At first I thought deciphering some of these samples would be kind of difficult, but luckily Joe made it easy by sequencing the vinyl in the same order as the Meteora tracklisting!

Remember, as these are vinyl samples largely used for scratching, it's hard for a DJ to see specifically where on the vinyl a sample is located. That's why the majority of these samples are looped for so long - it gives Joe a better chance of finding the right sample he's looking for the first time he drops the needle."

hahnvinyl.jpg

Side A:
0:00 - 1:17 - Don't Stay scratch (Joe's scratch sample in this song is primarily a clip of Chester's vocal at the end of the chorus)
1:18 - 2:31 - Somewhere I Belong main scratch
2:32 - 4:40 - Somewhere I Belong ending synth/scratch
4:45 - 4:52 - Lying From You intro (individual samples without the scratching/panning effects)
4:52 - 6:06 - Lying From You "tire screeching" sound effect
6:07 - 6:09 - Hit the Floor beeping sound effects (from second verse)
6:10 - 7:24 - Hit the Floor scratch #1 ("turntable winding down" noise at the end of the first chorus, also used for the bridge scratches)
7:24 - 8:38 - Hit the Floor scratch #2 (used in both verses, primarily based on a sped-up clip of a Chester scream from By Myself)
8:38 - 9:23 - Hit the Floor verse droning effect #1
9:23 - 10:31 - Hit the Floor verse droning effect #2 (slight variation on previous sample for when the droning sound builds in intensity near the end of the verses)
10:35 - 10:37 - Easier to Run flanged guitar sample (this is played at the very end of the bridge of Easier to Run, there's oddly also a small snippet of the previous Hit the Floor droning effect at the very end of the sample, I think this may have been a pressing error on the vinyl)
10:37 - 11:47 - Easier to Run "ticking" samples (mainly heard in intro)
11:47 - 12:01 - Easier to Run droning synth (mainly heard in intro)
12:01 - 14:35 - Easier to Run scratch/drone (used for wind-like sound effects in the intro, as well as shorter scratches in other parts of the song)

Side B:
0:00 - 0:08 - Faint intro strings
0:10 - 1:24 - Faint staccato samples (Joe plays these during the Faint chorus)
1:24 - 2:39 - Faint verse guitar samples (Joe doubles Brad during the verses using these)
2:39 - 2:54 - Figure.09 intro synth
2:55 - 3:02 - Figure.09 breakdown synth (section between second chorus and bridge)
3:02 - 4:18 - Figure.09 bridge scratch
4:18 - 4:34 - Breaking the Habit "glitchy beats" + explosion sample
4:34 - 5:49 - Breaking the Habit scratch (the same sample is also used as the basis of the scratching in Points of Authority)
5:49 - 7:03 - From the Inside scratch (this is a combination of the "break" vocal from the end of One Step Closer, and the "you" scream from the From the Inside bridge)
7:03 - 8:17 - From the Inside synth/white noise samples (these show up in the verses and the last chorus)
8:17 - 9:32 - Nobody's Listening scratch (vocal clip from High Voltage remix)
9:32 - 10:46 - Session misc. samples (used for scratching/other sound effects like the slowed-down drone at the end of the song)
10:46 - 11:41 - Numb droning effect (heard in the background throughout a lot of the song)
11:41 - 13:45 - Numb scratch (basically the previous droning effect with some additional, more distorted sound effects on top of it to give the scratching more "edge")

As far as when this vinyl was used on stage, here's what LPC and Astat say... "It was first used on stage on February 23, 2003 and then through the Meteora World Tour, including the two Texas shows in Houston and Irving, which ended up on the Live in Texas live CD/DVD release. 2007 was when Joe started using Scratch Live software, I think he had both new and old material put on there at the same time so this record probably wasn't used after Japan in 2006."

Download the vinyl via LPCatalog here.

Enjoy!

Was fun trying to figure out the sounds and what songs they came from.. without Astat I'd be still scrating my head. Again thanks to Astat for the help. This coming from me..and Meteora being my fave album of all time. Ive listened to Meteora at least 1000 times. it was in my cd player from 2003-2005 and never came out.. listened to it every day!

Awesome, thanks! I was waiting for this.

I think you should spend those 30 seconds and name the files properly when you share it with the world...

You can even rename them in mega directly.

BTW the flacs are in 24bit / 96kHz, that's also mentioned nowhere.

Awesome, thanks! I was waiting for this.

I think you should spend those 30 seconds and name the files properly when you share it with the world...

You can even rename them in mega directly.

BTW the flacs are in 24bit / 96kHz, that's also mentioned nowhere.

No one cared about that hahaha we were overexcited to even notice :) We still don't care. Any filename idea? Brennan can change them lol

are you guys sure side B 3:02 - 4:18 is not the chorus of step up?

It's possible that Joe used the same scratch in both songs. The vinyl is definitely all Meteora and follows the order of the tracklisting though.

Thank you very much!

I think you could have split both sides into tracks like on the main post.

By the way, wasn't the Projekt Revolution vinyl made by DJ Focus?

Yeah, that wasn't actually a stage-used Joe vinyl, it was the vinyl they used for the local DJ battles they had in between sets on Projekt Revolution 2002. That's why it has a mixture of Hybrid Theory samples and other random stuff on it.