Start It All Up...? Fort Minor "Blackout"

hahninator

I really like side projects, STP is amazing. I love Dead By Sunrise. I love Fort Minor, but I don't want second FM album because of FM, I want it because of Mike. Mike is a talented and creative person.

I think new FM music will be totally different than The Rising Tied. I would love some newschool rap songs by Mike.

Edited by xTirea

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of the hate on Dead By Sunrise around here. It was a fantastic album. The lyrics were poetic and dark, even brutal at times. Ryan and Amir's guitar playing was excellent. Elias kicked ass on drums. Chester did a lot of great vocal parts, some of which were styles that we have never heard him sing in before. In The Darkness is one of my favorite songs of all time. I understand that people don't like the over produced sound that Howard Benson gave the record but it still has a lot of great songs on it and I still enjoy it to this day. Also, I've seen a lot of people saying that they didn't like Chester working with the Julien-K guys and that Julien-K ruined the sound, etc. Why would you even bother listening to this record if you don't like Julien-K? :blink:

/endrant.

Because it's not a Julien-K album.

Not, but every single person involved with the music behind Dead By Sunrise was a part of Julien-K except for Chester. And to a degree, Chester was a part of the original Julien-K shit. Watch the EPK for Death To Analog and you will see that. Amir says it. We knew ever since the first time that Chester even played Let Down in 2005 that it was a stripped down version and that the version that would be on the album would be electric with electronic influence. Walking In Circles and Morning After sounded the same and so didn't Let Down, it just wasn't stripped down. My Suffering was different but the rest of the stuff that we heard before 2009 was virtually the same. A lot of the LP fanbase never really cared for Julien-K anyways except for LPLive for the most part so I guess that could be part of the hate.

And honestly, this is to Hahninator, Chester probably didn't care much about the promotion or how well the record sold. He said on Twitter before that he was proud of the record even though it didn't sell that well and he stood behind the music. He doesn't care about the sales that Stone Temple Pilots have, either. Chester just wants to rock out and play live, he doesn't care about that kind of stuff. Bucket Of Weenies, Camp Freddy, Dead By Sunrise, Stone Temple Pilots and he has down tons of live guest appearances, etc, he just like to perform music.

Edited by Geki

I'm much on this boat, I greatly prefer Dead By Sunrise over Fort Minor. The Rising Tied was never much of an appealing album to me in the first place.

Mike's rap flow is downright boring at the time and while DBS and FM are used to convey Mike and Chester's lives and musical wants, Mike's lyrics are way to straightforward and dull for my taste.

The only problem I think DBS had was its time of release. If Chester had just released it before Minutes to Midnight, I'm sure it would have caught on very well considering their popularity was definitely still up there. 2009 was just a bit too late.

Here's the first problem with DBS - Chester said the album was influenced by The Cure and all the older bands he liked, like Depeche Mode. The 2005 Let Down performance was amazing. I don't need the studio version repeating "don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road, don't wanna be let down the same old road" repeated 100 times the last minute of the song. That's called a bad job by the producer.

Julien-K is fine, sure, but the electronica stuff on DBS combined with Benson's production had a bad SOUND for the project to me. It sounds too polished. Sure, there are great songs like Into You and In The Darkness, but like the verses in Condemned? I guarantee Chester can write better music than that. I like JK a lot and I'm not bashing that stuff, but I think the raw demos for this stuff are a lot better than the final product, but too bad we'll never hear that stuff.

It's all personal taste. You love it, I don't. Morning After was taken from a beautiful acoustic song with some overpolished guitar sound, samples, etc and ruined, in my opinion. What is all that electronic stuff between every line in the chorus? Lmao. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fLnMBtHKdQThis is a ROCK song versus the electronica rock sound. Just because I prefer that doesn't mean I am bashing Chester lol. Way much more emotion in the 2001 acoustic one versus the one on Out Of Ashes...same for Let Down 2005 versus Let Down on the album.

Because it's not a Julien-K album.

Exactly.

"The fledgling group will also offer fans some bonus material, including a cover of the Misfits' "20 Eyes" and acoustic renditions of the "Out of Ashes" songs, some of which will be available for download with the purchase of the album."

Too bad that stuff never happened. Those would make great LPU exclusives.

This quote by Ryan Shuck says it all:
“On the album, the guitars were definitely heavier – there was a bit more grip to the record before and I think the label, when they heard the songs, were like “this could be all over the radio” and they wanted us to polish it up and make it shimmery.”

Like I said in my post, I can understand why some people didn't like Howard Benson as the producer. I happen to like Howard Benson and he has produced a ton of records that I enjoy, but that's just my personal taste. You can't deny that Out Of Ashes was an important album for Chester and there are still great songs on the album. If it's not your taste or whatever, that's fine, but the record doesn't deserve the amount of hate and shit talking it receives from the LP community.

And Hahninator, I love the electronic shit all over the Dead By Sunrise album. I love the electronic shit in Linkin Park's music, too. It's a big part of why I love LIVING THINGS, RECHARGED and now the new track coming out on Aoki's album. Some people like the hard rock/metal sound, like you, and there's nothing wrong with that. But some people also like the electronic shit like myself.

Edited by Geki

I'm sick of the hate on Dead By Sunrise around here. It was a fantastic album. The lyrics were poetic and dark, even brutal at times. Ryan and Amir's guitar playing was excellent. Elias kicked ass on drums. Chester did a lot of great vocal parts, some of which were styles that we have never heard him sing in before. In The Darkness is one of my favorite songs of all time. I understand that people don't like the over produced sound that Howard Benson gave the record but it still has a lot of great songs on it and I still enjoy it to this day. Also, I've seen a lot of people saying that they didn't like Chester working with the Julien-K guys and that Julien-K ruined the sound, etc. Why would you even bother listening to this record if you don't like Julien-K? :blink:

/endrant.

Your point is invalid cause i do like julien-k but i wanted a dbs album a sound of there own not just julien-k featuring chester. I agree let down acoustic had such more emotional sound then the over produced version that we got on ooa.and geki i love electronic music i love recharge i love living things, i love castle of glass experience live. but to me that sound didn't fit well on ooa, I don't no the album just sounds way to over produced.maybe it's not the music or the lyrics I dislike it's the production on a whole Edited by HAARP

Your point is invalid cause i do like julien-k but i wanted a dbs album a sound of there own not just julien-k featuring chester. I agree let down acoustic had such more emotional sound then the over produced version that we got on ooa.and geki i love electronic music i love recharge i love living things, i love castle of glass experience live. but to me that sound didn't fit well on ooa, I don't no the album just sounds way to over produced.maybe it's not the music or the lyrics I dislike it's the production on a whole

Well, it's just a matter of opinion. How is it ''invalid'' if Ryan and Amir wrote the music with Chester and then Brandon and Elias, who were members of Julien-K at the time, and FU then worked on it, too? They were all of Julien-K. I agree that the album could have been better if they released it how they intended to in 2006 but honestly, there would still be some of the electronic Julien-K flavoring on it. I think the big thing everyone hates about Dead By Sunrise was that they feel it was over produced. I understand that. All I'm saying is that there were some good songs on the record and I wish people didn't shit all over it.

Why would you even bother listening to this record if you don't like Julien-K? :blink:

Because Chester Bennington is ten times the songwriter Ryan Shuck will ever be. The first Julien-K album had a handful of good songs on it, and they have not written a single good one since. When the most talented person in your band is your hired-hand keyboard player and he quits after one album because he doesn't think the music you're writing is any good, you might want to objectively think about whether or not what you're doing is any good at all.

Edited by Astat

Because Chester Bennington is ten times the songwriter Ryan Shuck will ever be. The first Julien-K album had a handful of good songs on it, and they have not written a single good one since. When the most talented person in your band is your hired-hand keyboard player and he quits after one album because he doesn't think the music you're writing is any good, you might want to objectively think about whether or not what you're doing is any good at all.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. I think Ryan has an awesome voice and he is pretty good at guitar, too.

Amir is one of the best guitarists of our generation, even Chester has said that before. Fu is definitely talented, and so isn't Frank Zummo. Street Drum Corps is great and he brings it to the live show for Julien-K, too.

I love Death To Analog, but I also loved We're Here With You and the few new songs I've heard from their new album are good as well.

At least IMO. Amir has said that he is aware people enjoyed the industrial sound of their first record but he said that wasn't entirely who Julien-K was and he feels like they have found their sound now.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. I think Ryan has an awesome voice and he is pretty good at guitar, too.

Without any opinion about the discussion:

Being good at singing/playing an instrument doesn't make you a good songwriter. These are two completely different things.

I started hating DBS because my brother would play Let Down the whole day and was sick of it.

I've been playing Let Down ever since I heard the live version in 2005. I love the album version and I also love the live versions. It's a great song, IMO. If you've ever been through a bad break up or divorce, it's a great song to listen to. But on top of that, I love the melodies.

I've been playing Let Down ever since I heard the live version in 2005. I love the album version and I also love the live versions. It's a great song, IMO. If you've ever been through a bad break up or divorce, it's a great song to listen to. But on top of that, I love the melodies.

Its a good song.Not a great song compared to LP standards. Again, thats my opinion.My opinion can vary anytime.Just like your opinion about LT.

Killing Fields is one of my top 20 all time favorite songs!

I am glad you mentioned that. Killing Fields is the best song they have written as a band, to me. I love Death To Analog A+ every song), dislike We're Here With You a LOT and don't have a single song I like (crazy!), and California Noir falls in between. Good and bad on the new one. When it comes to Killing Fields I will never understand why it wasn't on DTA, unless it was written after that period.

The good news is that Ryan said just within the past week that they are writing new music with Brandon. Thumbs up.

They even played it live. Fucking megaphone at the end. Epic! Wish they were able to close all of their shows with that.

• 4 weeks later...

"If I were to ever bring Fort Minor back, the first place I’d say anything about it would be on social media. I’m @m_shinoda on Instagram, @mikeshinoda on Twitter, by the way."

looool troll move. Basically saying, "Oh by the way, yeah, follow me on social media, because that's where it'll be announced." I guess he's keeping it secret until after LP tours?

I have a feeling when this FM stuff happens, it's going to come out of the blue about as suddenly as Chester joining STP did. With as much music as he's constantly writing, Mike could easily drop an album on us with no prior announcement or anything, and FM would be a cool project to try it with.