2014.06.07 - Adenau, Germany - Rock am Ring

On June 7th, Linkin Park performs their fifth show of the European Tour at Rock am Ring in Germany at the famous Nürburgring venue. This will be a special show as it is the last edition of Rock am Ring at Nürburgring before the venue changes for 2015 and beyond. Linkin Park is booked to perform both Rock am Ring and Rock im Park this year (its sister festival) so they will play both of them back-to-back on the 7th and 8th.

We'll have a little bit longer show post for this show since Rock am Ring is one of the most legendary festivals in the band's career.

Linkin Park's first show at Rock am Ring came in 2001, when they had four scheduled European shows on the US-to-Europe Tour (Copenhagen, Rock im Park, Rock am Ring, and London). They performed a thirteen song setlist which included the infamous Be Yourself interlude and a short cover of Sweet Child O' Mine. The band was set to return in 2003, when Rock am Ring and Rock im Park were going to kick off the European Tour in June, but the entire tour had to be cancelled due to Chester being sick. We recently added lineups (including who replaced Linkin Park), pictures, and more to the cancelled 2003 shows, so take a look at the guide if you're interested in those shows.

In 2004, Linkin Park returned to Rock am Ring and played one of their most popular shows in the band's history. Due to Download Festival being the same weekend (which almost never happens), LP couldn't play Rock im Park that year, but they did play really good shows at Download Festival and the inaugural Download Scotland show in Glasgow to kick off the tour. The Rock am Ring 2004 show was webcasted live, but WDR showed it on television in full just twice quite a while after the show. Warner Brothers/Linkin Park approved this recording before it was shown and it is rumored that Mike helped mix the audio for that show, which could explain why his "dirty laugh" on In The End was removed. In 2003, he mixed the Detroit MTV $2 Bill show for broadcast, so it's not an outrageous guess at him mixing Rock am Ring 2004 as well.

And today is the TENTH anniversary of the Rock am Ring 2004 show!

In 2007, Linkin Park returned to Rock am Ring and Rock im Park to headline both festivals for the first time ever. The Rock am Ring performance that year resonated VERY well with the fanbase and the performances of One Step Closer and Faint from that show turned out to go down in LP history as some of the best ever. Who doesn't love the crazy screaming by Chester on the Faint outro from that show? Exactly. Chester even got off of the micstand for the piano version of Pushing Me Away and walked around the stage at that show, which was the only time that was ever done on a live performance of a song. Anyway, Rock im Park 2007 was no exception either - the band absolutely killed it there too to an insane crowd.

Despite in 2009-2010 being rumored to headline both festivals in June 2010, the band took some extra time in the studio to finish A Thousand Suns and instead headlined five (and then a sixth one later added) sold out shows in Germany in the fall. These shows were first announced by MLK at Rock am Ring/Rock im Park 2010, which was pretty cool. This was the largest tour of Germany in the band's career and was only going to be beaten by the EIGHT shows there in fall 2012, but those didn't end up happening and that tour was "canceled" before it was announced, even though it was completely booked and ready to go.

2011 had a European Tour, but LP did not play the festivals on back-to-back years, so 2012 was the next chance for them to headline. For the first time, Linkin Park had an off day between the shows (usually played on back-to-back days), so they played a semi-controversial performance of Burn It Down in Köln for TV total Autoball EM on the off day. The audio of this performance is eerily similar to an earlier one in 2012, and that is a known show where pre-recorded audio is used. However, we have no evidence to back this up 100%. Rock am Ring 2012 was a great performance by the band, but due to the atmosphere and crowd of the festival changing in the years beforehand, the crowd was made up of a lot of mainstream/non-fans of the band and the crowd wasn't as into the show as we would have thought. Actually, the crowd wasn't nearly as rowdy/loud as other performances on the tour or past Linkin Park shows at Rock am Ring. Plus, other rock bands were playing on the side stage, so despite the Hybrid Theory-heavy setlist, a lot of the rock fans didn't show up and jam at this show.

Therefore, Rock im Park 2012 took the reigns no problem with a VERY crazy crowd in the rain and proved to be one of the best shows of the entire year. Thankfully, a significant portion of that Rock im Park show was broadcasted on television, and the band even released a few songs themselves from that performance. If you want to see two great performances from the Living Things World Tour, we recommend Rock im Park 2012 and Monterrey 2012. Monterrey ironically will be released as a bonus DVD for The Hunting Party, so be sure to check that out.

This will be the band's fifth show at Rock am Ring, after the 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2012 shows there. We will see how the crowd reacts at this one, but don't be surprised if Rock im Park shows up and rocks it hard like they did in 2012. Rock am Ring no longer has the insane, wild crowds like they used to have, but we expect this to still be a great show.

In an unprecedented move for the band and by the grace of God, Warner Brothers and Linkin Park have allowed this show to be webcasted and shown on television. It seems like the days are gone (for now) of the band denying just about EVERY festival's webcast of the shows (like in 2007).

WEBCAST INFORMATION

The stream can be found HERE.

It's the "Livestream" not the "Konzertstream" which is the 2nd stream showing different stuff. The schedule for both is on the right hand side. The show will be broadcasted live starting at 10:50 PM German time until about 0:45 AM. -6 hours for EST and -9 PST. 4:50pm EST / 1:50pm PST. It's a stream of the TV version, so that means it will be excellent quality. Tune in and let's rock!
*In case you get some annoying pops sounds and you have no idea where it comes from you can turn it off by using these settings (highly recommended): KOMMENTARE (OFF); KLANGE (stumm); UBERSETZEN (blank)
Who will be attending this show? Who will be meeting Linkin Park?
The full 2014 tour schedule for the band can be found here.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RaR performances are always incredible and I'm sure this one will be awesome, too!

Just out of curiousity: how do you know the amount of the rumored 2012 shows? Do you also know which citys they were supposed to play?

My thoughts on why this happens - it's just my opinion, so take it as it is!

From my knowledge, LP's first deal with Warner Bros. Records was for 5 albums. Once that's gone, LP perhaps made some demands for themselves (producing the album by themselves) and for the fans, including live streams... "Why they did allow live streaming for other shows than Rock Am Ring?"... because if you look at them live streams, and if you are a hardcore LP fan you will notice that the sound isn't as good as every Rock Am Ring performance since 2004 - it has some distortions in it (majority of them).

Hopefully we will get the full performance at Download Festival this year, live stream (not so good chances) or recorded and broadcasted.

Hopefully I'm right!

My thoughts on why this happens - it's just my opinion, so take it as it is!

From my knowledge, LP's first deal with Warner Bros. Records was for 5 albums. Once that's gone, LP perhaps made some demands for themselves (producing the album by themselves) and for the fans, including live streams... "Why they did allow live streaming for other shows than Rock Am Ring?"... because if you look at them live streams, and if you are a hardcore LP fan you will notice that the sound isn't as good as every Rock Am Ring performance since 2004 - it has some distortions in it (majority of them).

Hopefully we will get the full performance at Download Festival this year, live stream (not so good chances) or recorded and broadcasted.

Hopefully I'm right!

LP's contract with Warner Bros. was redone in 2006, that's a big part of why Minutes to Midnight took so long. It hasn't been re-structured again since then. It wouldn't have any influence on why the webcasts mostly stopped in 2007 and seem to be returning this year.

17 hours and about 30 minutes left from now on.

Damn, I just realized that's how long it will take until I seem them today at RaR, I barely slept, fuuck that's going to be hard.

So jealous of you that you're seeing LP at Rock am Ring! Haha.

17 hours and about 30 minutes left from now on.

Damn, I just realized that's how long it will take until I seem them today at RaR, I barely slept, fuuck that's going to be hard.

told you to go sleep haha See ya buddy!

Wish they would play a different set list starting at this show. Rock am Ring isn't going to like on that dancey electro stuff.

I think especially Rock Am Ring WILL like the Electro stuff since the crowds have changed so much over the past 4 years.

Rock Im Park rather might not like that shit.

Wish they would play a different set list starting at this show. Rock am Ring isn't going to like on that dancey electro stuff.

Back then in ATS and LT world tours the setlist remainded the same even for concerts like Download festival, so I don't expect any changes in the setlist.

We could expect mike to change last verse in hip hop medley between STB and WTCFM in RaR and RiP, tough.

Now, I Wonder... Will BR Broadcast Rock Im Park (some songs) and will SWR HD broadcast Rock Am Ring? (some songs?)

Just curious, since for RAR 2012, we got SWR alongside with EinsPlus, and RIP had BR broadcast three songs, and more after that

Also, first time since 2004 (and maybe 2001, if a source even exists), a webcast will occur, but it may be different since it's direct from the TV :)

Edited by xLP0562x

Date: June 7, 2014
Venue: Nürburgring, Adenau, RP
Event: Rock am Ring 2014
Show #5 of 9

1. The Catalyst / The Requiem (Mashup Into)
2. Guilty All The Same
3. Given Up (Ext. Clapping Intro; Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)
4. Points Of Authority (Short Intro)
5. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)
6. Blackout (Shortened (Intro and Partial Outro Instrumental Only); Ext. Papercut Beat Outro Transition)
7. Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))
8. With You (Shortened (No First Chorus or Second Verse))
9. Runaway (Shortened (Intro/First Verse/Chorus Only); Ext. Outro Transition w/ Wastelands V1)
10. Wastelands
11. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version; Piano Transition Outro)
12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)
13. Robot Boy (Shortened (Intro, Synth Bridge, and Ending Instrumental Only)
14. Joe Solo Medley (w/ Wretches And Kings, Victimized Remix, Buy Myself, Cure For The Itch, Session, Plc.4 Mie Hæd)
15. Burn It Down
16. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ Until It Breaks Verse 2; Wall Of Noise Outro)
17. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Wretches And Kings, Remember The Name, Hands Held High; Ext. Outro Transition)
18. Numb (Numb/Encore Intro/Outro + Verse 1 Guitar)
19. In The End
20. Faint (Ext. Outro)
----------------------------------------------------
21. Until It's Gone (Ext. The Catalyst + No More Sorrow + New Divide Mashup Intro; Ext. Outro Transition)
22. A Light That Never Comes (Shortened (No Second Verse, Second Chorus, or Bridge))
23. Lost In The Echo (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus); Drum Transition Outro)
24. Crawling (Shortened (Through First Chorus Only); w/ Faster Tempo))
25. New Divide (Shortened (No First Chorus or Second Verse))
26. What I've Done (Short Ticking Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
27. Bleed It Out (Ext. Intro w/ Chant; Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain; Ext. Ending)

Show Notes:
- "Given Up" was played with more clapping at the beginning than usual.
- On the transition outro of 'Runaway', Mike rapped verse one of 'Wastelands'.
- 'Castle Of Glass' (labeled the "Experience Version") was performed as a mashup of the album version with Mike's Recharged remix. Only the intro/first verse came from the album version before it went into the remix portion of the song.
- Joe's solo portion of the show featured parts of 'Wretches And Kings', the 'Victimized' M. Shinoda remix from Recharged, 'Session', 'Buy Myself' (Marilyn Manson Remix), 'Cure For the Itch', and 'Plc.4 Mie Haed' from Reanimation.
- Mike's solo portion of the show featured the first verse of 'Wretches And Kings', a sped up chorus of 'Remember The Name' (by Fort Minor), and "Hands Held High". This is the first time "Hands Held High" was played during the medley and the first time any portion of it was played since 8.22.09 Epicenter. The instrumental of the medley incorporated part of 'Wretches And Kings', part of the 'Skin To Bone' remix, part of 'Remember The Name', and part of 'In My Remains'.
- The intro for 'Until It's Gone' featured parts of 'No More Sorrow', 'The Catalyst', 'New Divide', and 'Until It's Gone' mashed together.
- On the ending of 'What I've Done', Mike extended the end of the song and performed the sing-a-long outro for the first time on the European Tour.

- During the intro of 'Bleed It Out', Mike talked about seeing footage of them playing at Rock am Ring in 2001, the first time they played the festival, and talked about it being their fifth time playing the festival. He then had the crowd chant "Rock am Ring!"
- During the bridge of 'Bleed It Out', Rob performed a drum solo before the band sang a refrain from 'The Catalyst'.

Other Notes:
- A day before the show, Mike sprained his ankle. He wore a bandage throughout the entire show.
- A unique picture came out before this show, a shot of Linkin Park's menu. The picture can be viewed here.
- This is the first time since 2004 Linkin Park's set at Rock am Ring was shown live in full. Previous years (2007 and 2012), the record label refused to let the band be broadcast.

Edited by Søuł