Live Songs Series: "Songs We Need To See More Of"

hahninator

On April 30, we decided to start a "live song series" with four categories about Linkin Park's live shows and the songs that they are performing. We thought these four categories would cover most of the songs that fans talk about in the setlists, and with rehearsals starting up for the band, everyone is anxious to know what they'll be playing this summer. So here we go:

"Songs We Need To See More Of"

In this list, No More Sorrow was one of the top votes in our initial thread. We will save that one for "Songs That Would Be Gladly Welcomed Back" since it wasn't played at all on the short Living Things World Tour. This list has five songs that were played when the band toured for Living Things, but either weren't in more than one setlist and/or were dropped at some point.

1. A Place For My Head

It doesn't take a casual visitor to LPLive to know that A Place For My Head is hands down the hardcore fanbase's favorite song to see live. When the song was played in Paris for the Hybrid Theory 10th Anniversary for a one-off performance, you would have thought the Great Depression had set in when fans found out it was for just one show total of the A Thousand Suns World Tour. Luckily, it was brought back in 2012 and remained as the opener for Set B (originally the Festival Headline Set) for the entire world tour. However, just one set might not be enough for some fans. It's no secret that this song really gets any crowd going and is a highlight of any concert it is performed at. While it has been done a million times in the past, the closing of a Linkin Park concert with A Place For My Head and One Step Closer has remained a fan favorite throughout the years. The band has been picky with the song in the past, leaving it off of all 2007 setlists and dropping it again for Projekt Revolution 2008. Here's to hoping that it remains in a few setlists this summer, when the high-energy songs from The Hunting Party will fit in perfectly with this Hybrid Theory classic.

2. When They Come For Me

When They Come For Me is another unanimously agreed-upon song that Linkin Park seems to LOVE performing live. Hardly elsewhere can you see Mike bouncing from one side of the stage to the other and the rest of the band looking like they love every aspect of life than when this song is being performed. It made a surprise comeback for the Honda Civic Tour in 2012, but was slowly dropped down to one setlist (Set C) for the remainder of the touring cycle. That set was unfortunately retired for 2013, but the band resurrected it for the one-off show in Las Vegas earlier this year. With a megaphone, a foreign beat that makes anyone that hears it want to dance their asses off, and a very energetic rap section from Shinoda, When They Come For Me is a song that fans definitely want to see performed in 2014. While The Catalyst has been performed at most shows since it was debuted in 2010, When They Come For Me would be a solid replacement for the song should Linkin Park seek to drop a few singles here and there in the setlist and make room for more high-energy songs.

3. From The Inside

Sometimes the band is REALLY "on" at a show, and the Rock im Park performance from 2012 is one of those examples. From The Inside has been somewhat of an outlier over the past few years. It was performed a few times in North America for A Thousand Suns, but it was dropped for the Honda Civic Tour after it was in the Festival Set. Since Figure.09 stands a very small chance of returning (having been last played in 2004), From The Inside is a track fans love to see live and would enjoy in a setlist or two for 2014. Chester with those epic intro screams in 2007 and the fact that fans love to sing the bridge with the band makes From The Inside a great song to add to the first part of any set the band is playing.

4. Blackout

Who cares if Chester can't nail the screaming on this song at every show? Blackout is a fan favorite from A Thousand Suns and one of the most disappointing things about the song is that it was very rarely played in the United States. It was in the Headline Set in 2012 before the Honda Civic Tour, but was dropped likely because of Victimized/QWERTY being added to the setlist. Still, fans would love to see the song brought back in some form, even if it is in just one setlist. A Thousand Suns doesn't get much love these days at the live shows and Blackout and When They Come For Me could turn that around quickly. It's one of the most unique songs on the record and was performed pretty well when it was in the setlists.

5. Points Of Authority

It's no secret that the band loves to perform this song. We just hope that it doesn't see another break like it did in 2010 and 2011 for the A Thousand Suns World Tour. Since Points Of Authority and A Place For My Head will be performed at Download Festival, we are hoping that both songs stick around for the rest of the year. Linkin Park has experimented with the song a lot since 2007, adding different intros and outros to it, but the one on the Living Things World Tour was the studio version and that's just fine with everyone since the song kicks ass start-to-finish and is a very popular non-single in the bands setlists.

What do you think? Do you agree with these five songs?

Stay tuned for part 2, which will be "Songs The Band Has Been Nailing Live", followed by "Songs That Should Admittedly Take A Break" and "Songs That Would Be Gladly Welcomed Back"!

WHAT???? Blackout?, WTCFM? These indeed are the songs never should come back.

Gotta have some diversity! Can't pick all the songs from Meteora and Hybrid Theory. Don't worry, Figure.09, With You, etc....all of that is in one of these upcoming lists. And the songs to drop has all singles, lol

WHAT???? Blackout?, WTCFM? These indeed are the songs never should come back.

Whaaaaaat!? you must be crazy! haha :blink:

Not a fan of POA so I don't need to see that. Replace Blackout with BITS and I agree with this list.

I'd love to see Burning In The Skies live. SO sad I missed the only LA date they played it at. I'd be ok with this switch because I've been lucky enough to see Blackout a couple of times.

On another note, here is my personal and early list for songs that need to take a break:

Numb

Breaking The Habit

What I've Done

Numb

Breaking The Habit

Numb

What I've Done

Numb/BTH/WID

lulz.

Edited by Hybrid1988

Need to come back

1 And One

2 No More Sorrow

3 Don't Stay

4 Wretches and Kings

5 Runaway

Need to take a break

1 What I've Done

2 Faint

3 Breaking The Habit

4 New Divide

5 Given Up

Really???!!!Blackout???!!!

I think TC ,Iridescent and WFTE are the best ATS live songs.

Catalyst is an incredible song in the studio, but it loses its balls live.

I'll give you Iridescent, I forgot about that one.

WFTE is unbearable for me to listen to live because Chester insists on doubling Mike's vocals. Like, what the fuck are you doing? Let the rapper rap.

Blackout & When They Come For Me are good and would be welcomed. But I can do without the Hybrid Theory and Meteora tracks. A lot of LP songs that I love would never return to the set because they are very slow and melodic, so I am fine with Blackout & When They Come For Me as opinions.

WFTE is unbearable for me to listen to live because Chester insists on doubling Mike's vocals. Like, what the fuck are you doing? Let the rapper rap.

Dude I can think of tons of songs by LP that I ask myself ''why the fuck are you singing Mike, let the singer sing.'' Your argument is invalid. I happen to like Chester in WFTE and it's your opinion, clearly not everyone's, because I for one like it.

Edited by Geki

I would save APFMH for songs band have been nailing live.

I think POA shouldn't be on that list, it's performed on almost every show.

I think this list should contain songs that haven't been performed at least on the last few tours.

and it's your opinion, clearly not everyone's, because I for one like it.

...then why are you shooting him down? lol

&I agree with COG, POA has pretty much been played for the entirety of the past two years. We've seen plenty of it, it was in every setlist.

I'd honestly choose NMS over POA in the list, that would of made more sense.

Need to come back

1 Blackout

2 Forgotten

3 Don't Stay

4 Wretches and Kings

5 Easier to Run

6 By Myself

Need to take a break

1 What I've Done

2 Numb

3 Breaking The Habit

4 New Divide

5 Given Up

6 When They Come for Me

7 Somewhere I Belong

...then why are you shooting him down? lol

&I agree with COG, POA has pretty much been played for the entirety of the past two years. We've seen plenty of it, it was in every setlist.

I'd honestly choose NMS over POA in the list, that would of made more sense.

Yeah but this list I think are about songs that LP have been playing recently, so NMS would not fit in this list.

Europe wants to have a word with you...