Confirmed: Chester has quit Stone Temple Pilots

LESTAT

Brett Buchanan of AlternativeNation.net recently conducted an in-depth interview with former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland for his site that will be released in its entirety on Monday.

Today he posted a tidbit from it, in which Scott talks about Chester's current status with STP:

When I asked Weiland what he thought about the bands legacy at this point with Chester Bennington in the band, Weiland responded, Hes not in the band any more. When I pressed him, he stood his ground, stating: I heard hes not in the band anymore.

Weiland also said, [Chesters] got a band where he gets paid $700,000 a night with, and with STP, the brand is kind of falling apart, which is a shame.

Scott Weiland is widely known to make a lot of bold statements that ended up being not true in the past, but today I got a word from an anonymous source that the rumor is true. According to him, Chester has chosen to leave Stone Temple Pilots to spend more time with his family and focus on Linkin Park. This person says that nothing bad occurred between them and that the band and Chester are still on great terms.

There wasn't an official statement on the subject yet, so the question remains open until it is confirmed by either Stone Temple Pilots or Linkin Park camp.

We will probably get some sort of a confirmation on Monday, since "Joss Stone Temple Pilots" are set to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live as part of their "Mash-Up Monday":
http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/11/06/joss-stone-temple-pilots-future-scheduled-to-perform-on-jimmy-kimmel-live/

We'll see if Chester is there.

UPDATE: According to Highly Suspect's singer Johnny Stevens, he got an offer to join Stone Temple Pilots in August, but turned it down.

84f5a24f1441.jpg

82a7947ef181.jpg

UPDATE 2: It is confirmed. STP has released a statement: http://stonetemplepilots.com/stone-temple-pilots-and-chester-bennington-amicably-part-ways/

"The last few years have been an amazing experience. I got to create and perform with one of the greatest rock bands of our generation, that had so much influence on me growing up. With the amount of time STP deserves, in addition to being in Linkin Park, and with the needs of my family, one of them always seems to fall short. Going in to this, the four of us Robert, Eric, Dean and myself knew what we were up against. We decided in due fairness to friends, fans and the legacy of STP that it needs more than time was allowing me. And in all fairness to my bandmates in Linkin Park, as well as to myself and to my family, Im going to focus solely on Linkin Park so I can contribute 100%. Its been an amazing experience and a dream come true, and I look forward to the future of both STP and Linkin Park.

Chester

What an amazing and beautiful few years weve all had together. It was our honor to play and see all of you recently on tour. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time together with Chester not only professionally, but even more so on a personal level. Sadly, it was evident that scheduling and time was working against us. Within this, there is a new beginning. There is an abundance of new music written, some of which is already recorded. We have had the fortune of playing with some very talented singers over the last few months and will continue to do so until each of us feels and knows when the right person arrives.

With love,

Robert, Eric, Dean"

The band recorded 4-5 new songs with Chester earlier this year in anticipation for a new album coming out this year, but they will apparently re record those with a new singer. The decision has been made for months and is likely why there was no press on the most recent STP tour.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Nope nope nope nope.

I can't believe it. They had so much fun when I saw them in September. They're working on a new album.

Until I see the band release a statement I want to write this off as Scott being a nut. How would he even know? He left on such bitter terms and I think Dean or Robert said they haven't spoke in a long time.

If this is true I'll be heartbroken.

What??? :o No :( It's so sad... I'm not a big fan of Stone Temple Pilots, but I really wanted to listen to the album they were planning to make, with Chester it could have been great but different from LP style of course, so something interesting. I'm also sad cause I know that Chester loves STP and this could have been a really bad and hard decision for him to take. I still hope it's not true and that it's just bullshit Weiland likes to say (I kinda hate that man). Anyway, waiting for an official confirmation.

Edited by arasLP

I wouldn't belive the story if it was just that Scott statment, but the extra source makes this sound a bit more credible. If Chester actually left STP, it would be ashame he did before they even did one full length together. He seemed to be having tons of fun on stage with them, and I was pretty excited for their new stuff. Hope this isn't true. But if it is, I undersand why Chester would want more time with his family and to work with LP. He's been super busy for a very long time.

Very sad, if it's true. Chester has got a lot to prove with that upcoming STP album.
Also, feel bad for the band. Super awkward situation after everything that was happening between 2012 and 2015.

Isn't it weird that Aftershock 2012 was the last STP show with Scott, and now there's a possibility that Aftershock 2015 is probably the last show the band did with Chester?

I think the real question is if he really left or is just on hiatus. Joss Stone doesn't seem like a replacement to me. Maybe Joss Stone Temple Pilots is some sort of collaboration or side project they started in the meantime, and Chester won't be available for some time.

From what I have heard Chester has left stp completely not a hiatus.I think Chester left cause A with LP now there doing different stuff it's fresh and the band are loving where there at at the moment band seem really happy. And fact is Chester has a family touring n making albums with lp then his only down time he off with stp, must be hard for his family and Chester. so Chester made the decision LP/family over stp

Edited by HAARP

I think the real question is if he really left or is just on hiatus. Joss Stone doesn't seem like a replacement to me. Maybe Joss Stone Temple Pilots is some sort of collaboration or side project they started in the meantime, and Chester won't be available for some time.

I don't think anyone thinks that Joss is a replacement for Chester. We should just see if Chester is present during that upcoming performance. The performance itself is something Jimmy Kimmel sets up everytime for entertainment, like Weezer performing with ZZ Top as "Wee-Z Top".

If Chester is not there, it gives us an extra clue. If he's there, then the rumors are most likely false.

I shouldn't even say anything until we see if Chester is present for Jimmy Kimmel, but I wonder what this means for the future of STP? They obviously have material with Chester that is yet to be released and as much as I wanted Scott to stay with the band, there really wasn't anyone I could think of as a better replacement than Chester. It's good that they did this on good terms though.

Man, this band's been a mess.

I really think they need to just hang it up and form a new band if Chester really did leave. It may have been his dream job, but juggling two bands full time isn't easy, not to mention the constant legal bullshit with Weiland. I wouldn't blame him for saying he couldn't do it all.

According to Highly Suspect's singer Johnny Stevens, he got an offer to join Stone Temple Pilots in August, but turned it down.84f5a24f1441.jpg82a7947ef181.jpg

Wait. The Lplive twitter says Joss Stone was asked but this dude is not Joss Stone right? Joss Stone is that english singer, or am I misstaken?

Wait. The Lplive twitter says Joss Stone was asked but this dude is not Joss Stone right? Joss Stone is that english singer, or am I misstaken?

Joss Stone is performing with Stone Temple Pilots on Monday on Jimmy Kimmel as part of his Mash-up Mondays. Maybe he was asked, but that seems more like a collaboration than being asked to be the new vocalist.

Joss Stone is performing with Stone Temple Pilots on Monday on Jimmy Kimmel as part of his Mash-up Mondays. Maybe he was asked, but that seems more like a collaboration than being asked to be the new vocalist.

Well Joss Stone is a female so that would be something entirely new for stp, but also cool. But that with Joss Stone must be a one time collab since she just put out new music. Just a mix up in persons.