NEW LPTV: Chester Records Vocals for "The Catalyst"

eandy

The thing is, it's his job to be good at live shows, and he isn't. In fact it's rather rare that he performs well now.It's not good for a singer to be off at live shows,the thousands of fans didn't pay to listen to him being off! Sorry but I also have a lot of DSPs from 2007 and 2008, and I can say he struggles in a lot more songs.In Leave out all the rest, Pushing me away piano, Shadow of the day, Valentine's Day,Breaking the habit and In Pieces he's consistently off key. And he is also unable to perform the older songs with the power he used to, because he mistreated his vocal chords. So he doesn't do so well in melodic songs, and not so well in the older songs too. So yea, for me he isn't good live. Especially 2008, it was an awful year for him.

I play guitar for 8 months, learning all by myself and the only thing I find difficult is the solo of In Pieces. And I'm really bored to shoot all guitar covers and upload them just to make you believe me. But ask anyone who plays guitar, their songs don't need more than a year of playing to perfect.

I honestly believe if he worked with a good vocal coach he would sound so much better. a lot of artist do drugs. just a fact.. but they still sing good some even great live

and i have played guitar for about 3 years and yes LP songs are easy... but the thing is... they aren't supposed to be hard.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed that great vocal performances from Chester seem to be few and far between, but when he's "on", there's nobody better. When I saw LP in Mansfield, MA in 2008 he killed it. I also like that his voice is less "gritty" then is was for the first couple albums and their tours. The "Lying From You" chorus is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Chester does struggle but who dosn't. And regarding "The Catalyst". to me Chester seems out of his vocal range and miles out of his comfort zone, Glad to see Linkin Park moving forward and Chester trying to push himself to try vocal ranges he has never hit. If he wanted to he could knock out the vocals of a song like OSC for breakfast, lunch, and definatly dinner.

"The Catalyst". to me Chester seems out of his vocal range and miles out of his comfort zone,

Out of his vocal range...? I don't think so... The highest note he hits in this song is an A. He's hit that note and even higher ones in many different songs that he has no problem with. Such as New Divide, Given Up, TLTGYA, and Lying From You.

Well, I personally think Chester is amazing live. He has a high range, and he maybe not hit every thing 100% right, but he still sounds good. Also, I have noticed that sometimes it depends on which song. Take for example Breaking the Habit, I think he sings that amazing live and almost perfect. But then take leave out all the rest, I feel he sings that song not do good live, and is off. I think LOATR, ITE, FTI, SOTD, forgotten, and nobody's listening are not played good live. But every other LP song is played just as good as the studio version or better than the studio version played live. And I am basing this off vocals, because the instrument parts are played exactly right live.

The thing is, it's his job to be good at live shows, and he isn't. In fact it's rather rare that he performs well now.It's not good for a singer to be off at live shows,the thousands of fans didn't pay to listen to him being off! Sorry but I also have a lot of DSPs from 2007 and 2008, and I can say he struggles in a lot more songs.In Leave out all the rest, Pushing me away piano, Shadow of the day, Valentine's Day,Breaking the habit and In Pieces he's consistently off key. And he is also unable to perform the older songs with the power he used to, because he mistreated his vocal chords. So he doesn't do so well in melodic songs, and not so well in the older songs too. So yea, for me he isn't good live. Especially 2008, it was an awful year for him.

I posted that after PR2007. There are some moments where he is off key or flat...but for me, it's just not enough to complain about. As I said before, the only song from that show in which I was like "wow, he's really struggling" was Shadow of The Day. He did struggle some with Pushing Me Away though. Besides that, I thought he did fine. Honestly though, if I compared PR2007 to PR2004 (at least the shows I went to), I think he did about the same. Most of the mistakes he made in that video weren't even noticeable during the show. And I think that's because the mistakes are mostly small and they weren't noticeable with all the crowd noise among other things. SOTD was the only exception.

If he really struggled on old songs, I'd agree with your argument. I don't see that though. I see him struggling on the newer songs which are more difficult than the older songs. In fact, most of the specific songs you named were new songs. I think if anything, he doesn't have the same passion to perform some of the older songs. I don't think you can say for certain it's because he mistreated his vocal chords (although he has smoked). There's too many factors that go into whether a singer struggles on a certain night. If your argument was that Chester isn't perfect anymore, I'd agree with that. However, you said earlier that he was BAD live. And as a person who's been singing for 15+ years (I'm not the best but I know something about it), I can't agree with that.

-------------

Edit: Now that I think about it, the setlists are more difficult than they were several years ago because of the songs being harder. With the overall setlists being harder, I'm sure it takes a bigger toll on his voice. That could also explain why he may be struggling with certain songs on certain nights. Having a tough song at a certain spot in the setlist can make all the difference. That's just another thing to think about before saying "OMG, he's just not as good anymore."

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur

Holy shit batman, you all need to shut the fuck up.

Who cares if Chester doesn't sound perfect live. That's just more fact for me to feed on that Linkin Park is one of those bands where they actually sing their songs live, and don't lip sync. I remember back in the day, people complained that Chester sounded TOO good and that he lip synced. Now all of a sudden he sounds like shit and needs a training coach?

I wouldn't mind taking your ticket to see Chester sing live. Really, I don't. While I'm watching Chester sing and not hit some of those notes in songs, all of you can come on LPL and bitch about how Chester didn't hit those notes. I'll go listen to my crappy Chester sing, and you go listen to your AMAZING Lady Gaga sing.

Who cares if Chester doesn't sound perfect live. That's just more fact for me to feed on that Linkin Park is one of those bands where they actually sing their songs live, and don't lip sync. I remember back in the day, people complained that Chester sounded TOO good and that he lip synced. Now all of a sudden he sounds like shit and needs a training coach?

I wouldn't mind taking your ticket to see Chester sing live. Really, I don't. While I'm watching Chester sing and not hit some of those notes in songs, all of you can come on LPL and bitch about how Chester didn't hit those notes. I'll go listen to my crappy Chester sing, and you go listen to your AMAZING Lady Gaga sing.

Praise the Lord!

This is crap, back when he was awesome every night, he still sounded different from studio, so people who complain about lip sync are fans of Not Alone, if you know what I mean :P

No ma dear monocle, I won't give it to you ;) When I'm there, watching them live, I don't give a damn how he sounds, cos watching LP perform is pure badassness, even if they're not perfect. If he was perfect like the older days, it would be makes-you-cry-badassness,but oh well. And because we all know what Chazy's voice can do, I just complain that he hasn't trained,and hasn't taken care of his voice to still be able to be perfect every night, and keep those shows on the same level as before.

I wish we got longer episodes, that's my only complaint. The 2 that we have got so far for ATS are only about 2:00 long and the ones we got for MTM were 7+. They should do it with iTunes again and released like 8 episodes for New Divide, making of 8BR, the summer 2009 tour, and stuff like that. Then new album episodes. If the DVD that comes with ATS is as awesome as Mike described it then I will not care at all about LPTV. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

This is crap, back when he was awesome every night, he still sounded different from studio, so people who complain about lip sync are fans of Not Alone, if you know what I mean :P

No ma dear monocle, I won't give it to you ;) When I'm there, watching them live, I don't give a damn how he sounds, cos watching LP perform is pure badassness, even if they're not perfect. If he was perfect like the older days, it would be makes-you-cry-badassness,but oh well. And because we all know what Chazy's voice can do, I just complain that he hasn't trained,and hasn't taken care of his voice to still be able to be perfect every night, and keep those shows on the same level as before.

Remind us of the source that informed you that Chester "has or had no vocal training". It seems as if you're simply operating under your own assumptions.

Remind us of the source that informed you that Chester "has or had no vocal training". It seems as if you're simply operating under your own assumptions.

I think the assumptions are safe. When I look at the video I'm like "that is totally me!"...I'm a guy who hasn't had vocal training, doesn't take care of my voice, and is pretty hit-or-miss in a live show lol

In a few years maybe I can open up for Linkin Park!!!!!

I wish we got longer episodes, that's my only complaint. The 2 that we have got so far for ATS are only about 2:00 long and the ones we got for MTM were 7+. They should do it with iTunes again and released like 8 episodes for New Divide, making of 8BR, the summer 2009 tour, and stuff like that. Then new album episodes. If the DVD that comes with ATS is as awesome as Mike described it then I will not care at all about LPTV. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

This^ If they did that, I would be pleased. But still, at least we're getting updates now.

Not his own assumptions, I also remember of articles and/or interviews in which it was said Chester didn't have vocal training .

I've never heard anybody refer to St. Anger as great before.

But I agree that after the touring cycle ATS may rarely see songs played live if they are as hard to perform as the Catalyst sounds like it's going to be.

Although Chaz said he'd like to preform the whole album.