NEW LPTV: Chester Records Vocals for "The Catalyst"

eandy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I think this is awesome for 3 reasons.

1. I was just in the studio yelling "fuck!" every time I messed up 2. Mike seems really awesome.

3. I hate Mike for being rich and having a ridiculously big monitor

that "monitor" can be said as a tv :P

If anyone is still saying that Chester can't sing well anymore...you are retarded.

A/B this video with the final version of The Catalyst and listen to how out of tune Chester is, then get back to me on that.

Mike: "That's it...it's good...okay! Just needs editing, and it's in the can."

Translation: "Once I pitch-correct all the out of tune notes Chester hit, this will sound awesome!"

Yeah, sure, this was at Mike's home studio and the vocals could've been redone later at NRG, or the takes we hear Chester singing in the video may not be the same ones Mike ended up keeping, or whatever...but I really doubt Chester just magically gained perfect pitch while the camera wasn't rolling. The dozens of live recordings from the past 3 and a half years are enough evidence to back that up.

As long as Chester is still physically capable of singing (i.e. doesn't blow out his vocal chords), they'll always be able to make him sound good in the studio. If anything, this video is an indication of what kind of performance we should expect from Chester when they perform this song live. And with that said, I'm sticking by my prediction of this song falling way short in the vocal department once it debuts on stage.

A/B this video with the final version of The Catalyst and listen to how out of tune Chester is, then get back to me on that.

Seriously. That's another thing I like about this video. He's out of tune. Chester isn't the best singer in the world, and he yells "fuck!"

But obviously Chester will be singing this alot, so I'd like to not think that this album is filled with giganto pitch editing.

If anyone is still saying that Chester can't sing well anymore...you are retarded.

I agree with you. He is still one of the top 20 best singers in the world. Unfortunately, as long as people keep failing to realize that the songs have been getting CONSISTENTLY more difficult to sing (since Minutes to Midnight), then there will always be some people who are under the illusion that Chester has regressed.

For those who think he's regressed, look at these 4 singles from the last 7 years and tell me what you notice. Somewhere I Belong > What I've Done > New Divide > The Catalyst. Does anyone besides me see a trend in terms of the overall vocal difficulty of these songs? Every single song has gotten harder to sing, in terms of hitting notes, sustaining notes, etc. WID is probably 2 or 3x harder to sing than SIB. New Divide is probably 2 or 3x harder to sing than WID. And The Catalyst is probably harder to sing than New Divide (though the high note in New Divide is tough). I could go on and on with listing songs from M2M that are harder to sing than anything on HT or Meteora.

The bottom line is this. Judging him in the same way as 7 years ago is stupid. With the songs being this difficult, he's not going to have perfect pitch on every attempt. The fact that he is off on some nights is actually a good thing. It shows how real the live performances are. For every single live recording that he's missing notes on, I can show you several more in which he's still hitting the notes. Does he do it with the same consistency? Probably not. With the notes being more difficult to hit and hold though, I can forgive him if he's off a night or two. Add in the fact that he's still smoking (I think) and I'm just amazed he's done as well as he has.

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur

The fact that he is off on some nights is actually a good thing.

seriously wtf? why are you trying to convince yourself that every single thing LP does is good?

They are not perfect, Chester is actually bad live, especially the past few years. And it's NOT a good thing to be off key on live shows, vocal performance is a strong factor in Linkin Park, since the music is not really hard to play live. So basically he is making the difference to judge a live performance as "bad" or "good".

As for the "real performances" I think it's a different thing. See Avenged Sevenfold live. Shadows doesnt miss a fucking note, and the performances are real as well.

seriously wtf? why are you trying to convince yourself that every single thing LP does is good?

They are not perfect, Chester is actually bad live, especially the past few years. And it's NOT a good thing to be off key on live shows, vocal performance is a strong factor in Linkin Park, since the music is not really hard to play live. So basically he is making the difference to judge a live performance as "bad" or "good".

As for the "real performances" I think it's a different thing. See Avenged Sevenfold live. Shadows doesnt miss a fucking note, and the performances are real as well.

In my opinion you're wrong here. If I remember correctly, Astat once said "Linkin Park songs are easy to play but are very hard to perfect".

In my opinion you're wrong here. If I remember correctly, Astat once said "Linkin Park songs are easy to play but are very hard to perfect".

1 year of guitar and you'll be able to play the majority of them perfect, i assure you.

EDIT: and the other guys do a great job in every show. Instrumentally their shows are almost flawless. that's why I said it's Chester that makes the difference

Edited by VavourasLP