NEW LPTV: Chester Records Vocals for "The Catalyst"

eandy

It wasn't that bad. We heard only one full recording of the chorus (after the 'transmissions echoing away' part) and there are several parts, which are really way off, but I'm sure he succeeded in recording them better later. Do you think that he recorded the vocals for New Divide or What I've Done from the first try? Because he still doesn't know the lyrics at the chorus here, I learned them after listening to the vocal clip twice. It's like the live performances - he can't nail a song perfectly until he's performed it several times. I'm sure his vocals weren't vocal-pitched. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously wtf? why are you trying to convince yourself that every single thing LP does is good?

They are not perfect, Chester is actually bad live, especially the past few years. And it's NOT a good thing to be off key on live shows, vocal performance is a strong factor in Linkin Park, since the music is not really hard to play live. So basically he is making the difference to judge a live performance as "bad" or "good".

As for the "real performances" I think it's a different thing. See Avenged Sevenfold live. Shadows doesnt miss a fucking note, and the performances are real as well.

Do we have a Avenged lover here?

Woow...to compare Shadows with Chester vocally is pretty lame for me.

He is not even near Chester.

Not even Shadows himself may think that!!!

seriously wtf? why are you trying to convince yourself that every single thing LP does is good?

They are not perfect, Chester is actually bad live, especially the past few years. And it's NOT a good thing to be off key on live shows, vocal performance is a strong factor in Linkin Park, since the music is not really hard to play live. So basically he is making the difference to judge a live performance as "bad" or "good".

As for the "real performances" I think it's a different thing. See Avenged Sevenfold live. Shadows doesnt miss a fucking note, and the performances are real as well.

Well Shadows can nail every note perfectly. but he still sounds like crap *personally*

No singer, no matter how good you may think they sound can sing on key 100%. Now listening to this... he was really outta place on some.. and i personally think he needs a vocal trainer *i think all major labels should require singers to have vocal training but thats just me*

Do we have a Avenged lover here?

Woow...to compare Shadows with Chester vocally is pretty lame for me.

He is not even near Chester.

Not even Shadows himself may think that!!!

I did not compare those two, Chester's range is much wider. I just said that Shadows is almost flawless live, and he's got very difficult songs to sing too.

damn all this chester hating makes me ill.

i thought it was great considering he's having to learn new songs. and i definitely don't think he's bad on stage... i mean wtf is that, i don't even...

i'm not hating on Chester, I absolutely think he's one of the best if not the best vocalist of our times. But his singing seems a bit unprofessional sometimes. Major part of his job is to be able to maintain his voice so that he is able to hit those notes on live shows, but he doesn't seem to pay attention to that.

Edited by VavourasLP

I find it funny people are actually bitching about this. We heard the vocal stem and how effected it was. It's blatantly obvious and Mike even discussed some of the effects used, which are all going to change things. If they were trying to mask something, they wouldn't have released the stem or this video.

Chester's voice is rad!I think people shouldn't go jump in conclusions from one video cause you don't know how many times he sang that after the video and how he sang it.And honestly it sounded good to me.Someone will probably tell me that I don't have an ear for it or something like that but it does sound good to me.

A/B this video with the final version of The Catalyst and listen to how out of tune Chester is, then get back to me on that.

Mike: "That's it...it's good...okay! Just needs editing, and it's in the can."

Translation: "Once I pitch-correct all the out of tune notes Chester hit, this will sound awesome!"

Yeah, sure, this was at Mike's home studio and the vocals could've been redone later at NRG, or the takes we hear Chester singing in the video may not be the same ones Mike ended up keeping, or whatever...but I really doubt Chester just magically gained perfect pitch while the camera wasn't rolling. The dozens of live recordings from the past 3 and a half years are enough evidence to back that up.

As long as Chester is still physically capable of singing (i.e. doesn't blow out his vocal chords), they'll always be able to make him sound good in the studio. If anything, this video is an indication of what kind of performance we should expect from Chester when they perform this song live. And with that said, I'm sticking by my prediction of this song falling way short in the vocal department once it debuts on stage.

Okay professor know-it-all. You've proved how smart you are. I mean you even know how to translate Mike Shinoda after a 2 minute clip. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a cookie. <_<

You really should have quoted the rest of what I said AFTER I said it was a good thing for him to be off on some nights.

Go click on my profile and view some of my posts throughout the last year. If you think that I say every single thing LP does is good, you're foolish. This band is far from perfect. When The Catalyst came out, I said it was probably their worst single since SOTD and I said the first 1m30s of it "lacked dynamics, lacked a variety of sounds, and was a bit boring." Sometimes, I actually feel like I'm one of 10 or 15 people on this site who have the balls to criticize them when they ARENT good (not taking stabs at anyone).

I'm sorry but you're WAY too nitpicky if you think he's bad live. My live CDs from PR2007 and PR 2008 prove otherwise. I've been to four LP concerts over the last 6 years. The only song I've heard him consistently struggle with is SOTD. Chester doesn't always make the difference. I remember at PR2007 when Brad played the solo for In Pieces, he struggled. He had to modify it and change it up to fit his playing style and he still struggled a tiny bit with it. When I compare LP to other bands though, they just seem to step it up live.

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur

Okay professor know-it-all. You've proved how smart you are. I mean you even know how to translate Mike Shinoda after a 2 minute clip. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a cookie. <_<

DangerSilent and I have nothing compared on what's about to happen to you. You have just shit on land that Legend would have never even dreamed of.... and I shit everywhere.

You really should have quoted the rest of what I said AFTER I said it was a good thing for him to be off on some nights.

Go click on my profile and view some of my posts throughout the last year. If you think that I say every single thing LP does is good, you're foolish. This band is far from perfect. When The Catalyst came out, I said it was probably their worst single since SOTD and I said the first 1m30s of it "lacked dynamics, lacked a variety of sounds, and was a bit boring." Sometimes, I actually feel like I'm one of 10 or 15 people on this site who have the balls to criticize them when they ARENT good (not taking stabs at anyone).

I'm sorry but you're WAY too nitpicky if you think he's bad live. My live CDs from PR2007 and PR 2008 prove otherwise. I've been to four LP concerts over the last 6 years. The only song I've heard him consistently struggle with is SOTD. Chester doesn't always make the difference. I remember at PR2007 when Brad played the solo for In Pieces, he struggled. He had to modify it and change it up to fit his playing style and he still struggled a tiny bit with it. When I compare LP to other bands though, they just seem to step it up live.

The thing is, it's his job to be good at live shows, and he isn't. In fact it's rather rare that he performs well now.It's not good for a singer to be off at live shows,the thousands of fans didn't pay to listen to him being off! Sorry but I also have a lot of DSPs from 2007 and 2008, and I can say he struggles in a lot more songs.In Leave out all the rest, Pushing me away piano, Shadow of the day, Valentine's Day,Breaking the habit and In Pieces he's consistently off key. And he is also unable to perform the older songs with the power he used to, because he mistreated his vocal chords. So he doesn't do so well in melodic songs, and not so well in the older songs too. So yea, for me he isn't good live. Especially 2008, it was an awful year for him.

Then do it, and prove it.

I play guitar for 8 months, learning all by myself and the only thing I find difficult is the solo of In Pieces. And I'm really bored to shoot all guitar covers and upload them just to make you believe me. But ask anyone who plays guitar, their songs don't need more than a year of playing to perfect.

Edited by VavourasLP

But ask anyone who plays guitar, their songs don't need more than a year of playing to perfect.

Yea, I used to be horrible at guitar, but learning the LP songs were so easy and it helped me a lot! They were like a stepping stones for me so I can learn harder songs like Metallica or A7X.