"Did You Know" Facts

Anality

The Warner/Chappell Music catalog lists some rather interesting co-writers for Until it Breaks...in addition to the 6 members of LP, people with co-writes on that song include Herb Magidson (popular lyricist in the 1920s-1950s, best known for writing songs like "Midnight in Paris"), Allie Wrubel (songwriter from around the same period, best known for writing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" from the classic film Song of the South), as well as Sean Combs (P. Diddy), Christopher Wallace (Notorious B.I.G.), and Nashiem Myrick (a popular hip-hop producer).

Obviously, such a random assortment of co-writers on an LP song (2 long-dead showtune writers, 2 rappers, one of whom is also dead, and a producer who's never worked with LP) had me scratching my head...so I did some more research and came up with the following: Those same 5 co-writers (along with several others) are credited on a song called "Anything (To Find You)" by Monica, which was actually just released in 2011:

This song features samples of the 1995 song "Who Shot Ya?" performed by P. Diddy and Notorious B.I.G. and produced by Nashiem Myrick, which explains their co-writing credits on the song. It also samples the 1971 song "(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade is Over" by David Porter, which is in turn based on a song called "Masquerade is Over" from way back in 1939, originally performed by Ambrose & His Orchestra, and written by...you guessed it, Herb Magidson and Allie Wrubel.

So that explains why all of those co-writers are lumped together on Anything (To Find You)...but how did they all end up credited on Until it Breaks? I'm assuming there's a sample in there somewhere, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This song features samples of the 1995 song "Who Shot Ya?" performed by P. Diddy and Notorious B.I.G. and produced by Nashiem Myrick, which explains their co-writing credits on the song. It also samples the 1971 song "(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade is Over" by David Porter, which is in turn based on a song called "Masquerade is Over" from way back in 1939, originally performed by Ambrose & His Orchestra, and written by...you guessed it, Herb Magidson and Allie Wrubel.

I think you answered it yourself. Mike's lyrics reference Who Shot Ya and other songs, so they probably (possibly) just gave credit to those involved in the respected songs.

Edited by Aiman

I think you answered it yourself. Mike's lyrics reference Who Shot Ya and other songs, so they probably (possibly) just gave credit to those involved in the respected songs.

Ahh, okay. Yeah, I've got it figured out now. I knew Anything (To Find You) sampled Masquerade is Over, I didn't realize that sample also came from the original version of Who Shot Ya. So it's actually just because of the lyrical reference to Who Shot Ya, and not a direct sample. Forget the Monica song, it's completely irrelevant. :lol:

Papercut, A.06, Faint, Figure.09, Sold My Soul to Yo Mama, QWERTY, Shadow of the Day, Robot Boy, and Iridescent were working titles the band decided to keep.

I thought SOTD was Song Q or something.

What about Fallout? I always thought that was one because of the atomic-related theme/words on the album.

Papercut, A.06, Faint, Figure.09, Sold My Soul to Yo Mama, QWERTY, Shadow of the Day, Robot Boy, and Iridescent were working titles the band decided to keep.

I think that you can add some songs from Living Things on it (but I think that these songs only are Roads Untraveled and Skin to Bone :P).

And I think that "Crawling" was keeped too.

"Iridescent" was actually the working title for a completely unrelated track that didn't make A Thousand Suns. They discarded the track, but kept the title and used it for another song.

"Sold My Soul to Yo Mama" being included on that list is random as hell. How do you even have a "working title" for a song that's an instrumental save for some sampled vocals from Papercut and Points of Authority?

I think that you can add some songs from Living Things on it (but I think that these songs only are Roads Untraveled and Skin to Bone :P).

And I think that "Crawling" was keeped too.

Any song where the title is something that appears in the lyrics, particularly from the pre-Minutes to Midnight era, you can pretty much guarantee had another title at some point. "Crawling" originated from the song "Blue," which was released on LPU 11. I'm willing to guess it kept the title "Blue" until the lyrics were written, even though they're basically different songs. Pretty much the same deal with Stick and Move/Runaway.

"Points of Authority" was another working title that was kept. It originated from "Oh No," but all they really re-used in POA from Oh No was the drum beat, and the title was conceived prior to the lyrics. Same can be said for the relationship between "Sad" and "Super Xero," although Super Xero did go through a title change once the song was done.

"Iridescent" was actually the working title for a completely unrelated track that didn't make A Thousand Suns. They discarded the track, but kept the title and used it for another song.

"Sold My Soul to Yo Mama" being included on that list is random as hell. How do you even have a "working title" for a song that's an instrumental save for some sampled vocals from Papercut and Points of Authority?

Didn't know that about Iridescent. I thought they were the same song.

OddTree says to (13:38):

Hi Mike :D Where did some of Linkin Park?s more… random song names come from? (Figure.09, Sold My Soul to Yo Mama, Papercut, etc.) Were they just working titles you guys decided to keep? -Aud ?

mshinoda says to (13:38):

Yes, they were working titles!

mshinoda says to (13:39):

Faint, too.

Edit (another fact):

Linkin Park and Jay-Z actually recorded 8 tracks for Collision Course but only 6 of them were released.

Edited by lpliveusername

Any song where the title is something that appears in the lyrics, particularly from the pre-Minutes to Midnight era, you can pretty much guarantee had another title at some point. "Crawling" originated from the song "Blue," which was released on LPU 11. I'm willing to guess it kept the title "Blue" until the lyrics were written, even though they're basically different songs. Pretty much the same deal with Stick and Move/Runaway.

"Points of Authority" was another working title that was kept. It originated from "Oh No," but all they really re-used in POA from Oh No was the drum beat, and the title was conceived prior to the lyrics. Same can be said for the relationship between "Sad" and "Super Xero," although Super Xero did go through a title change once the song was done.

Oh, this. When I said "Crawling", I wasn't counted "Blue" as a demo of this song (I know that some parts, like the end of Blue, was reused in Crawling, but I don't consider this like a demo at all), but OK, thanks Astat.

And now I want to hear the "real" Iridescent :P LPU13, please :D

I am not really sure if you guys know this,but the countdown you hear in "The Requiem" comes from the exact footage here,which is about Oppenheimer and his speech.

(Those who have trouble hearing the countdown,it starts about 1:55 in the album version)

I am not really sure if you guys know this,but the countdown you hear in "The Requiem" comes from the exact footage here,which is about Oppenheimer and his speech.

(Those who have trouble hearing the countdown,it starts about 1:55 in the album version)

Great find! I guess I kind of noticed that sound in the background, but I never knew it was a voice. Now I can't unhear it.

Never heard that in the song! Nice find

Jornada Del Muerto! That's really cool. I never knew that's where the song title came from. The band is really creative with this stuff...wow.

And the countdown, nice find.

The idea for Collision Course was partially inspired by a mashup made by a DJ who went by the handle "al-b3" (his website is no longer around, unfortunately). He created 3 LP/Jay-Z mashups in early 2004 - Don't Stay vs. 99 Problems, and two versions of "99 Problems Closer" (One Step Closer vs. 99 Problems, one version had Jonathan Davis' verse from 1STP KLOSR in it, one didn't). 99 Problems Closer gained enough attention to receive airplay on numerous radio stations, and many people thought it was an official remix (or after Collision Course came out, many people thought it was a Collision Course demo).

The idea for Collision Course was partially inspired by a mashup made by a DJ who went by the handle "al-b3" (his website is no longer around, unfortunately). He created 3 LP/Jay-Z mashups in early 2004 - Don't Stay vs. 99 Problems, and two versions of "99 Problems Closer" (One Step Closer vs. 99 Problems, one version had Jonathan Davis' verse from 1STP KLOSR in it, one didn't). 99 Problems Closer gained enough attention to receive airplay on numerous radio stations, and many people thought it was an official remix (or after Collision Course came out, many people thought it was a Collision Course demo).

I also remember that after the release of CC, the DJ was angry because he didn't received any credit for his idea

Edited by LINKINJOZE

The first time I downloaded Collision Course, it came with the 1STP KLOSR version. I only found out it was fan made/fake after buying the CD.

Edit:

Mike Shinoda about Summer Sanitarium tour:

"Toward the end of the tour, Lars Ulrich put on fuzzy, pink bunny-ears and big green "Hulk"-fists and invaded our stage to mess around with us during our set. Later, on the last day of the tour, we were allowed to go on stage and pull a little pratical joke on Metallica, a feat that (as we were told) no band in twenty years has been allowed to do. We took a basket, blanket, and food onto their stage and had a little picnic as they played "Master of Puppets.""

Edited by lpliveusername