New Album Update : Five Finished Songs

ThePretender

Your also talking to the guy that beats off to Fort Minor nightly, so good luck with changing his mind on that...

Don't you sound bitter..

Anyways I think everyone here pretty much agrees that lp takes way too long making an album, some of the best song they've made were done in a short period of time. We're approaching the 3 year mark since mtm and it doesn't look like we'll have the album out anytime soon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand why everyone complains and complains that Lp "takes too long" to put out a record. Its not like the music world stops because they don't put out new stuff..

Take the time to look at other bands, different genres.. Have a wide taste in music, don't be the "ZOMG, LP IZ THE ONLY BAND THTA EXSISTS!!!!11" guy... There are countless numbers of musicians out there that put out incredible music all the time, and yes, most of them put it out quicker than LP. Most of the time, if there isnt any new music from LP coming out, I listen to various other artists that have incredible music, like: Paramore, 10 Years, Tool, John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, T.I., Adelitas Way, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake (don't hate, he's more of a musical master than you are), Shinedown, Slipknot, Colbie Caillat, Serj Tankian, 3DG, Jason Mraz, Eminem, Jay-Z, Creed, DBS, Atreyu, August Burns Red, Buckcherry, etc...

What I'm trying to say is, broaden your horizons, listen to other people, so that when LP does release something new, you appreciate it that much more. If you like rap, go listen to some new and upcoming MC, go back and listen to the originators and see where everyone is coming from.. If you like rock, same thing, look for some new artist that is gaining popularity, like Adelitas Way or 10 Years, or go back to the 50's, 60's and 70's to see who these guys are listening to to get inspired, just don't fall into the LP is God rut and miss out on all this awesome music...

I don't really understand why everyone complains and complains that Lp "takes too long" to put out a record. Its not like the music world stops because they don't put out new stuff..

Take the time to look at other bands, different genres.. Have a wide taste in music, don't be the "ZOMG, LP IZ THE ONLY BAND THTA EXSISTS!!!!11" guy... There are countless numbers of musicians out there that put out incredible music all the time, and yes, most of them put it out quicker than LP. Most of the time, if there isnt any new music from LP coming out, I listen to various other artists that have incredible music, like: Paramore, 10 Years, Tool, John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, T.I., Adelitas Way, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake (don't hate, he's more of a musical master than you are), Shinedown, Slipknot, Colbie Caillat, Serj Tankian, 3DG, Jason Mraz, Eminem, Jay-Z, Creed, DBS, Atreyu, August Burns Red, Buckcherry, etc...

What I'm trying to say is, broaden your horizons, listen to other people, so that when LP does release something new, you appreciate it that much more. If you like rap, go listen to some new and upcoming MC, go back and listen to the originators and see where everyone is coming from.. If you like rock, same thing, look for some new artist that is gaining popularity, like Adelitas Way or 10 Years, or go back to the 50's, 60's and 70's to see who these guys are listening to to get inspired, just don't fall into the LP is God rut and miss out on all this awesome music...

I think you missed the point... I think here in the Lplive community we don´t have people like that. That only listen Linkin Park. We all have our other favorites artists and this doesn´t change anything about the time Linkin Park takes to write music.

I personally like all those bands you said plus a ton of others, but I want to hear more Linkin Park! A band that have 10 years with only 3 cds is pretty lame, and this need to change. The reason why they do this is because no matter what they do we never complaint.

The only time we complaint about something was the LPU8 CD and look what we get this year... I think it´s something to think about...

Thanks! I couldn't change the topic name xD.

And what if they decide to put 9 songs on the album?

Go here and tell us what the title says. ^^

Well, I'll admit I didn't go to his blog to see that but its still misleading. Maybe just take the "you" out concerning you, its still misleading. Unless the text is misleading from the title. Either way, it sounds like they are really looking hard at 5 songs but doesn't mean there done. For a complete year in the studio, they should have tons of readied material.

I don't understand this album process. First, the band was talking after PR 08 they could have an album out within a year because they had done so much writing in tour. They have been at NRG for a year now and only 5 "maybe, somewhat, almost there" completed songs. That is unacceptable. I also, as I will probably repeat in every remaining post I make on this forum, why DBS is going on right now in the middle of Linkin Park's biggest album to date. I also do not understand bringing in Rick Rubin when they had been in the studio for so long. Perhaps they weren't as "far ahead in the game" as we thought.

You people just crack me up when you slam people, such as me, for saying we should be content with LP taking their precious time and that more time equals better quality. I can almost guarantee LP could wrap something up today, throw it down, and release and it would be instantly gratified as one of the band's best songs. They know how to do that (release super-hits) but they do like to think out of the box, which is why I respect the band. But they could do it at a faster rate. Sure, MTM showcased a more mature band with some better musicanship in some areas, but overall, the songs weren't nearly as dynamic and the singles (outside of WID) nowhere near as popular as Meteora's... two things that clearly made the band stand-out when it first came into the scene.

As for the person who mentioned 100 bands and people too focused on LP, I do believe everyone hear listens to music outside of LP as well so I'm not sure what you're getting at. This is particular forum dedicated to LP so of course we are going to be bickering about LP. I do the same for 10 Years or Dave Matthews Band, as I am a fan, in their forums.

Point is, we want a new LP album, it has been 2.5 years since MTM. Hard to believe, but. Some big-time movies get made it shorter amounts of time that LP albums these days. Point is, take some time to come up with some good material, but I mean how much time do you need? They don't tour, at least on the MTM cycle, nearly as much as some bands do, especially for their size.

Edited by Preston

there is by no means a positive correlation between duration of writing/recording process and quality of the final output. i really hope people would get this.

LP always goes over their songs over and over again and changes them to be "perfect". If people keep saying "Hurry up, you guys are taking too long!" Then they're not going to work the same, but faster, they're going to do a half-assed job of rushing something together without even thinking about it.

If you've ever written an essay, which I'm sure you have, you may have noticed that the final draft is much better than the rough draft. The reason for this is because after completing the rough draft, you've looked over it and thought hard on how to improve it and how to make it "perfect". A lot of times, it can take a lot of time and patience.

Also, has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe they just want to spend more time with their friends and families? These guys have toured for two and a half years since the release of Minutes to Midnight. I think they deserve a break. Yes, I am anxious to hear the new material, obviously, but I don't think it's fair to keep rushing them and to keep bugging them about it. It will be finished when it's finished. Mike just had a baby for crying out loud; let the man be with his child before he has to tour the world for another two years.

Edited by Aiman

LP always goes over their songs over and over again and changes them to be "perfect". If people keep saying "Hurry up, you guys are taking too long!" Then they're not going to work the same, but faster, they're going to do a half-assed job of rushing something together without even thinking about it.

If you've ever written an essay, which I'm sure you have, you may have noticed that the final draft is much better than the rough draft. The reason for this is because after completing the rough draft, you've looked over it and thought hard on how to improve it and how to make it "perfect". A lot of times, it can take a lot of time and patience.

Also, has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe they just want to spend more time with their friends and families? These guys have toured for two and a half years since the release of Minutes to Midnight. I think they deserve a break. Yes, I am anxious to hear the new material, obviously, but I don't think it's fair to keep rushing them and to keep bugging them about it. It will be finished when it's finished. Mike just had a baby for crying out loud; let the man be with his child before he has to tour the world for another two years.

People...we are not demanding anything special from the band!!!

Other bands also have family...it might seem impossible but not only Mike has a baby in the Rock world scene :o

And other thing if this is the time to have a break why the hell Chester started another band? And Mike did 300 art galeries and DC SHOES, and produced 5.000 remixes?

If other bands can do it...Linkin Park also can!!! Why they need a special time to everything... I would call this LAZY.

If other bands can do it...Linkin Park also can!!! Why they need a special time to everything... I would call this LAZY.

Because they're perfectionists. It's that simple.

Besides... a lot of artists have a bunch of filler songs on their albums. That's not something we want on an LP album.

Edited by Aiman

Most of us like a wide variety of music but lp tends to be our favorite hence us wanting them to release albums more frequently than every 3-4 years. Some of us realize the wasted potential here as they get older, they will not sound as good, ie chesters voice.

The perfectionist label they have has to be lifted, with all of the material they write, there's no reason that every 2 years we should have a 15 song cd.

Mike wrote lockjaw in one day and it's amazing, I think they just tend to over analyze stuff.

songs have to be "perfect" to be great. so what is perfect? is it perfect when a song gets so much work done that it sounds dead? or is it perfect if you get the song the way it FEELS perfect?

you can write the greatest songs of all time in one day, yes you heard me. while searching for the so called "perfection" you will rewrite that song and this way its dozen of forms that would've have been as good as the final product if not better.

redoing everything is no guarentee to make a song better, that's a fact. you, as an artist, might like it better and that's all that counts in the end, sure. but, to repeat myself:

there is NO connection of the time you need to make an album and it's final "quality", ABSOLUTELY NO! you can sit down for an hour and write a song, listen to it and like it, maybe work a bit on it and absolutely love it. when you listen to it again, you might see that EVERY change you do (even replaying the riff because you made a MISTAKE) will kill the feel of the song.

linkin park rewrote "somewhere i belong" endless times, and even though we don't know the older versions, there is almost no way of them being any worse.

linkin park's rob bordon rehearsed the drum's for "the little things give you away" countless hours and they kept the demo drums. again, we don't know how the final song would sound if they've used the rerecorded version, but in the lp community this song is widely known as one of linkin park's absolutely best songs.

if every artist would use the definition of perfection in the sense of making it SOUND perfect, than there wouldn't be many many many too many amazing songs, classics.

a song has to FEEL perfect and therefore you don't have to rewrite it all the time. just making it SOUND better will never make it any more perfect. think about it.

Edited by Trumtram

songs have to be "perfect" to be great. so what is perfect? is it perfect when a song gets so much work done that it sounds dead? or is it perfect if you get the song the way it FEELS perfect?

you can write the greatest songs of all time in one day, yes you heard me. while searching for the so called "perfection" you will rewrite that song and this way its dozen of forms that would've have been as good as the final product if not better.

redoing everything is no guarentee to make a song better, that's a fact. you, as an artist, might like it better and that's all that counts in the end, sure. but, to repeat myself:

there is NO connection of the time you need to make an album and it's final "quality", ABSOLUTELY NO! you can sit down for an hour and write a song, listen to it and like it, maybe work a bit on it and absolutely love it. when you listen to it again, you might see that EVERY change you do (even replaying the riff because you made a MISTAKE) will kill the feel of the song.

linkin park rewrote "somewhere i belong" endless times, and even though we don't know the older versions, there is almost no way of them being any worse.

linkin park's rob bordon rehearsed the drum's for "the little things give you away" countless hours and they kept the demo drums. again, we don't know how the final song would sound if they've used the rerecorded version, but in the lp community this song is widely known as one of linkin park's absolutely best songs.

if every artist would use the definition of perfection in the sense of making it SOUND perfect, than there wouldn't be many many many too many amazing songs, classics.

a song has to FEEL perfect and therefore you don't have to rewrite it all the time. just making it SOUND better will never make it any more perfect. think about it.

You made some great points, but that still doesn't change how LP works in the studio. :P The point of my post was to try to explain their way of writing songs. Another example would be comparing Untitled to In the End. I've heard many people say they felt the lyrics to Untitled were better; I agree on that point.

Bottom line, FAIL on LP's behalf. I just had a thought. I'd wait another year, but then i'd expect a double album release from them. Similar to Nelly's Sweat/Suit in 2004.

for shame you comparing LP to Nelly

*shaking my head

honestly im not dying or in the ER for a new LP album if it drops tomorrow it drops tomorrow if it drops in the summer it drops in the summer. This is why you get other favorite bands to focus on haha

i will wait as long as it takes, but i really hope it won't suck like MTM. if they have so much material, i guess we should expect some b-sides or something. i really tried listening to some other bands, and i can't find but few songs that i can listen to. lp is by far the only band i can listen to and enjoy every song from (excluding MTM), so does that make me hardcore lp fan, can someone then take my opinion serious when i say mtm sucks compared to previous releases? i think so.

there is LPU9 which i look forward to, it will consume some of the new album waiting time, and maybe i'll like new deftones album, maybe i'll get to like some other band too, but i certainly hope this waiting time will pass quickly, and that it will be worth it (unlike mtm :D).

lp guys are perfectionists and lately they seem distracted (unlike during HT and Meteora), they have a life (wifes, kids, some other interests, they changed), so i doesnt suprise me they take longer time to produce something as quality as before (at least they think it is).

but that still doesn't change how LP works in the studio. :P

i gave up caring about their way of working because i got too many much greater bands in my playlist that take up all my time right now :D.

my point was trying to show EVERYBODY the fact, that good things don't have to take long.

im so tired of reading "better they take more time and make the album better than rush it and make it bad".

best things come out under pressure.

and i agree with "untitled" and "in the end". this example came up when i was in bed :D.

A great song ultimately comes down to capturing a feeling of inspiration. Sometimes that inspiration can be the initial inspiration you have to write a song, and a lot of really great songs have been of that variety, the ones that "write themselves." Paranoid by Black Sabbath was originally a filler song because the record label said their album wasn't long enough, so they wrote that song in about 15 minutes, and it's probably their second most popular song. Other times, you can have a piece of music or a lyrical idea or whatever that's been around for a while but never sounded up to par or you've never known what to do with it, and then you find the inspiration to make it great - look at Breaking the Habit, Mike had been trying to write that song since the HTEP days, but it had never come out the way he wanted it to, then one day he decided to put lyrics to the instrumental song Drawing and 2 hours later, he had BTH written.

Obviously there are a lot of songs that fall into those categories - Great songs that were written quickly, and songs that took a long time that sound over-produced or uninspired. But there are examples of the opposite too, great songs that took a long time and crappy songs that were thrown together in a few hours or less.

Ultimately saying, let them do their work until they finish it on their own. Don't barrage them with sentences like 'OMG You guys take too long to produce one album!!'. They are professional musicians and they know what to do. ;) In fact, they have plans.

Mike decided to sing in MTM because to make it special. Maybe Phoenix sings for the next album? LoL joking. :lol: