New Smoke Out 2003 Footage Released

LPLStaff

If you are familiar with Linkin Park's 2003 touring, you'll know that the Smoke Out 2003 show is pretty iconic. In between the tour of Australia and Asia where the band played the longest setlists they had ever performed to that point, adding in Nobody's Listening and My December, and the UK November Tour, they played a one-off show in San Bernardino at their friends' Cypress Hill's Smoke Out Festival. The band was in full creative mode at this time, debuting a brand new setlist with Papercut opening, keeping Nobody's Listening in as a staple song, and debuting the epic Breaking the Habit. Oh, and don't forget It's Goin' Down being played for the first time on the Meteora cycle... a song that would stay in for the rest of 2003 and all of 2004.

Back in 2009, Fremont Studios was kind enough to the Linkin Park community to put three videos online - Papercut with its new, long intro (which ended up being played just five times), Points of Authority, and the live debut of Breaking the Habit in the pouring rain.

Fast-forward to present day as Fremont Studios is on the hunt for the full show in their archives. They have apparently lost the full show, but have salvaged a broken DVD with thirty minutes of footage they have posted on YouTube. In this footage, we get even more of the show.

Along with the full Papercut intro (the previous version was slightly cut), we get Points of Authority, Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong, It's Goin' Down, Lying From You, most of Nobody's Listening, and all of Breaking the Habit. This is a sizable chunk of the show. However, there are some really some good highlights here. We see a setlist photo in the first few moments of the video which confirms the set we had was correct, but the footage shows we had some show notes incorrect.

It's Goin' Down, performed for the first time since 2002, had its acapella intro, but the surprise is that Xzibit is actually on Nobody's Listening and the band performs part of a unique instrumental with him rapping over it. Earlier in 2003, Xzibit joined the band for Projekt Revolution 2003 and My Name was rapped over Nobody's Listening but without the new instrumental that the band kept for when Mike later rapped 'Standing In The Middle' over it. This is a very unique mashup and we are glad to have a recording of it!

Enjoy this newly surfaced footage from 20 years ago!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot going on here. Never knew the instrumental under Standing In The Middle (My Name at this show) wasn't sampled. Rob, Brad, and Phoenix are playing it. Is it this song by The Roots?

It seems that they changed the story? when they uploaded BTH 10 days ago they said that the band team requested the HD footage to be deleted, now they say that:

'' The high quality HD masters of the entire Smoke Out event were taken from the site at the end of the night by the production producers. ''

So there's still a chance that someday this show will come out

Yeah their story is very weird. They recently claimed they never had the masters. Well what did they use to create and upload the video files in 2009 with? lol. Surely the full show exists somewhere in their possession. Would love to see the rest.

57 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Yeah their story is very weird. They recently claimed they never had the masters. Well what did they use to create and upload the video files in 2009 with? lol. Surely the full show exists somewhere in their possession. Would love to see the rest.

They claim that they created a SD DVD copy of the master, which is everything that they had.

I guess that if they had the full master of the show they could have sold it to the LP team for M20.

So I still believe that they are lost.

2 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

If you are familiar with Linkin Park's 2003 touring, you'll know that the Smoke Out 2003 show is pretty iconic. In between the tour of Australia and Asia where the band played the longest setlists they had ever performed to that point, adding in Nobody's Listening and My December, and the UK November Tour, they played a one-off show in San Bernardino at their friends' Cypress Hill's Smoke Out Festival. The band was in full creative mode at this time, debuting a brand new setlist with Papercut opening, keeping Nobody's Listening in as a staple song, and debuting the epic Breaking the Habit. Oh, and don't forget It's Goin' Down being played for the first time on the Meteora cycle... a song that would stay in for the rest of 2003 and all of 2004.

Back in 2009, Fremont Studios was kind enough to the Linkin Park community to put three videos online - Papercut with its new, long intro (which ended up being played just five times), Points of Authority, and the live debut of Breaking the Habit in the pouring rain.

Fast-forward to present day as Fremont Studios is on the hunt for the full show in their archives. They have apparently lost the full show, but have salvaged a broken DVD with thirty minutes of footage they have posted on YouTube. In this footage, we get even more of the show.

Along with the full Papercut intro (the previous version was slightly cut), we get Points of Authority, Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong, It's Goin' Down, Lying From You, most of Nobody's Listening, and all of Breaking the Habit. This is a sizable chunk of the show. However, there are some really some good highlights here. We see a setlist photo in the first few moments of the video which confirms the set we had was correct, but the footage shows we had some show notes incorrect.

It's Goin' Down, performed for the first time since 2002, had its acapella intro, but the surprise is that Xzibit is actually on Nobody's Listening and the band performs part of a unique instrumental with him rapping over it. Earlier in 2003, Xzibit joined the band for Projekt Revolution 2003 and My Name was rapped over Nobody's Listening but without the new instrumental that the band kept for when Mike later rapped 'Standing In The Middle' over it. This is a very unique mashup and we are glad to have a recording of it!

Enjoy this newly surfaced footage from 20 years ago!

This is amazing, thank you very much for sharing lplive.

2 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

¿Parece que cambiaron la historia? cuando subieron BTH hace 10 días dijeron que el equipo de la banda solicitó que se borrara el metraje en HD, ahora dicen que:

''  Los productores de producción tomaron del sitio al final de la noche los masters HD de alta calidad de todo el evento Smoke Out. ''

Así que todavía existe la posibilidad de que algún día salga este programa.

You think? If they remastered the entire show we would already have the complete Show, I hope the complete show comes out soon.

Could be without AI... it is still so buggy and with many artefacts but still hyped for finally being released
edit: 360p playback solves AI artefacts :D

Edited by Steve
edit

3 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

It seems that they changed the story? when they uploaded BTH 10 days ago they said that the band team requested the HD footage to be deleted, now they say that:

'' The high quality HD masters of the entire Smoke Out event were taken from the site at the end of the night by the production producers. ''

So there's still a chance that someday this show will come out

Yeah they probably weren't destroyed. Fremont doesn't have it but it could be that the producers do as from what I was told in this email by Scott Jonas (owner of Fremont studios)

79LlO43.png

Edited by cubebuilder

37 minutes ago, cubebuilder said:

Sí, probablemente no fueron destruidos. Fremont no lo tiene pero podría ser que los productores sí lo tengan según lo que me dijo en este correo electrónico Scott Jonas (propietario de los estudios Fremont)

79LlO43.png

That means it will now be difficult to find the entire show, and I'm incorrectly thinking the files are corrupt lol.

Without having much context to this entire situation, something tells me this isn't the last we will see from this show. We have all of the major highlights and today actually caused us to edit 6 show pages (Smoke Out + UK November) and 2 wiki pages for Nobody's Listening and It's Goin' Down. lol

Wow, great stuff and also so unexpectedly bad. It's probably because of the mixing of this recording(?) but man, they were off at times. "Papercut" had terrible levels (never heard these string sounds Joe made at the end, especially not that loud), Chester messed up the first chorus of "Don't Stay", Mike's guitar went dead during "Somewhere I Belong" and overall Brad's guitar volume was waaaaay too high which didn't help the overall performance. Speaking of high, Chester was very likely far from sober that evening. Still he performed greatly!

All in all, I can see why something in the sense of "just destroy the tapes" might have been said at some stage. I don't think the band wanted to go through this performance again immediately after it happened and then might have just forgotten about it (I mean, they forgot about "Lost" being ready and done, so...).

Nonetheless having more of it is awesome and the changed setlist plus "Nobody's Listening" are much appreciated. Great mash-up, just terrible mixing.