"The Crimson Chapter EP" Out December 1st

martinez

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay yeah god damn, that Fort Minor remix is amazing. If the rest of the mixes are half as good as that one, this EP will be absolutely worth it.

I just love when Mike drops a straight rap track. The Ziggurats EP is one of my favorite things he's done since starting his solo work and this remix is right up there with it.

The FM remix is awesome, reminds me of the Skin To Bone recharged remix and About You.

I think the community needs to realize that albums are kinda dead in the same way that mid-budget comedies and generation-defining sitcoms are dead. It's the age of EPs that contain extra little content like remixes and slowed/reverbed versions and Mike and the label are playing to it. At least his extra nuggets of content have cool stuff like new verses

Just spend a minute on fixing on all releases the title of the track 5 from Already Over (feat. Dom McLennon) [Fort Minor Mix] to Already Over (Fort Minor Mix) [feat. Dom McLennon] - which is just like the most digital services has and the visual video I think in this case it's a rule that first you want to mention the version of the track and then the guests after it.

Also, it's the same like on the cover that Mike shared recently - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-lzebXXIAA3nzv?format=jpg&name=large

3 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

This ep makes me think that Shinoda doesn't know what to do w his career.

it's funny you think that way because Mike clearly KNOW what to do with his career. if he just a plain boring person, he would've stopped promoting the track once it officially releases a month ago. this EP clearly shows his creativity beyond what you expected. Same song can be expanded into various version. your negative perception of Mike stuff makes you think this releases is a shit.

11 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

I think the community needs to realize that albums are kinda dead

I'm not really up-to-date with what's trendy/popular in the mainstream/on tik-tok, but I for one continue to look up to albums as my main source of music. And there has been plenty of great albums released this year, so there is always that. 😇

I just think albums represent a more cohesive, congruent artistic statement, in comparison to those kind of EPs that seem to gather more to the financial/marketing aspect of it. 

This might be a controversial opinion, but to me, the EP-singles thing seems a bit "lazy" - aka : less material (one could say : "less work"), more exposure (one could say : "more money").

Not a criticism of Mike pe se - I don't think he's chasing the money - but maybe one of that new industry model as a whole.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:37 AM, YRQRM0 said:

I think the community needs to realize that albums are kinda dead

Has anyone told Taylor Swift this?

Think of all the time she wasted re-recording her albums for inexplicable hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue

11 hours ago, linkindan said:

Think of all the time she wasted re-recording her albums for inexplicable hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue

I still love listening to albums front to back, and I see fans in general still do. Like, as a random example, the number of streams per each song on the new TSTM record is well distributed, except for Stuck that was released 4 months prior to the record, meaning that people still enjoy listening to the record from start to finish. 

16 hours ago, linkindan said:

Ok yeah they're not dead, that's an exaggeration. But you must see the vast difference in incentives these days

Taylor Swift is a much more recognizeable name than Mike Shinoda since the day he started posting music under his own name, and like you said, these are re-recordings of albums that already existed just like M20 is a special reissue of one. These albums have legacy like Friends or Seinfeld have legacy as sitcoms, while no currently airing sitcom comes close 

Now that CD players don't even come in many cars, no one is going to have the classic "I remember buying hybrid theory and playing it front to back in my car" experience and that keeps the album construct from being as big as it was. Instead, you start an album on something like Spotify and if you feel the slightest bit bored, you can literally check out any other album or better yet, a playlist with as many artists and songs as you'd like to shuffle through. So artists are just pumping out songs that go out to the playlists, with no incentive to wait and release them all as one album. And if you do want to experience just one artists body of work, you can check out their playlists or profiles

Also, with so many artists available to you, it makes sense to send a steady stream of songs over time rather than all at once so they stay top of mind. We can see this all the way back in THP era where we got half the album before the release date.

Don't get me wrong, I love albums too and see their artistic merit as cohesive experiences, but I also see that the streaming model doesn't really care about them compared to a year like 2000 where it was the only way. 

4 hours ago, Hybrider said:

Exactly. We want LPU23 CD with more Meteora demos. I believe there is a long version of A.15

Lol, if you would be concerned with wanting to get a new LPU CD with Meteora demos, I would look forward to getting these songs:

• A full version of "Thoughts That Take Away My Pride" ("Lost" 2002 Demo)
  • "Sick" ("Don't Stay" 2002 Demo)
  • "Plaster II" ("Figure.09" 2002 Demo) [Alternate Rap Verses]
  • "Figure.09" (Singing Verses Demo Version)
  • "Nocturnal" ("Nobody's Listening" 2002 Demo)
  • "Shortcut" ("Fighting Myself" 2002 Demo)
  • A demo of "Numb" (if such a thing exists)
  • A different demo version of "A6" with Chester's vocals
  • "Program" (Bass Solo Alternate Demo Version)
  • Maybe some more developed versions of the Meteora era instrumentals with vocals (similar to the "Cumulus"/"More the Victim" situation), such as "Soundtrack", "Ominous", "Pepper", "Program", "Unfortunate", "Halo", and "Rhinocerous".
Edited by NJPLP

2 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Lol, if you would be concerned with wanting to get a new LPU CD with Meteora demos, I would look forward to getting these songs:

• A full version of "Thoughts That Take Away My Pride" ("Lost" 2002 Demo)
  • "Sick" ("Don't Stay" 2002 Demo)
  • "Plaster II" ("Figure.09" 2002 Demo) [Alternate Rap Verses]
  • "Figure.09" (Singing Verses Demo Version)
  • "Nocturnal" ("Nobody's Listening" 2002 Demo)
  • "Shortcut" ("Fighting Myself" 2002 Demo)
  • A demo of "Numb" (if such a thing exists)
  • A different demo version of "A6" with Chester's vocals
  • "Program" (Bass Solo Alternate Demo Version)
  • Maybe some more developed versions of the Meteora era instrumentals with vocals (similar to the "Cumulus"/"More the Victim" situation), such as "Soundtrack", "Ominous", "Pepper", "Program", "Unfortunate", "Halo", and "Rhinocerous".

They could easily create more LPU CDs If they wanted to

They could create them by adding leftovers from HT20 and M20 

6 track EP 3 demos 3 live songs and call it a day.

18 hours ago, Hybrider said:

Exactly. We want LPU23 CD with more Meteora demos. I believe there is a long version of A.15

Lmao. Come on now. We JUST got M20 and you're still wanting more? Bro, we got Lost/TTTAMP, The Wizard Song, A6 with vocals, AND Rob's Drum Track. I'm pretty certain if other versions existed, they either weren't as good, less than finished, or simply got lost to time. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:39 AM, SardonicallyParanoid said:

Lmao. Come on now. We JUST got M20 and you're still wanting more? Bro, we got Lost/TTTAMP, The Wizard Song, A6 with vocals, AND Rob's Drum Track. I'm pretty certain if other versions existed, they either weren't as good, less than finished, or simply got lost to time. 

I think most of what Hybrider listed is fairly reasonable besides the last couple of bullets. I'm sure that for each song, there are dozens of exports from each version. If they bothered to give us as many POA demos as they did, there's no reason to not expect other vocal takes for these songs that we've heard directly exists.

20 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

I think most of what Hybrider listed is fairly reasonable besides the last couple of bullets. I'm sure that for each song, there are dozens of exports from each version. If they bothered to give us as many POA demos as they did, there's no reason to not expect other vocal takes for these songs that we've heard directly exists.

I mean, sure. But we gotta remember that we got most of those POA demos over an extended 20-year period with the LPU. I think it's fairly safe to say that if other takes existed, they're either just not great or bare-bones as fuck. I feel like HT is a different case with those super bare-bones demos and beats because that's their first album, and seeing the early makings of THOSE songs is far more interesting to most than for their sophomore album.

01.Already Over (Crimson Intro) (2:11)

02.Already Over (2:40)

03.Already Over (Reorganized Mix) (1:52)

04.fine (Finer Mix) (3:23)

05.Already Over (Fort Minor Mix) [feat. Dom McLennon] (2:43)

06.In My Head (2:52)

07.Already Over (Nothing's There Mix) (3:07)

08.Already Over (Part 2) (2:32)

Total Length: 21:20

I will skip the songs that we already know and will say only about the ones that will be out on Dec 1st. I Only like half of the first track which is actually really good but only till the 1:15. The remix of Fine is toned down IMO, it loses all of its darkness and easily can now be played in amusement park. Not a fan of it either. The best track is the Nothing's There Mix.

just listen to the entire EP.

1. love the Crimson Intro, something that Mike will play for an intro for his show.

2. Reorganized Mix something like a remix track of Recharged. suits for movie score.

3. fine (Finer Mix) is different than original fine. the intro reminds me of "After Canada" from LPU 14. the outro, damn, if he played this on live show, it's gonna be massive moshpit. 😂

4. Nothing's There mix, it's like Issho Ni with electronic elements.

5. AO Part 2: totally a different part of AO. it's more upbeat tempo. new verse, new bridge, new rap line. 

overall, this is EP is short and sweet. nothing harm, just enjoy as it is. great to see Mike taking creative direction for this. gonna keep this on repeat for now!

Edited by Stranger