Linkin Park - Lost | Out February 10, 2023

PeppePark

40 minutes ago, letdownagain said:

It's worth going back and checking out, maybe I'm wrong, especially with what Mike said in the NYT interview, though it does say it received a "light touch during mixing." But it sounded like getting the multitrack from the manager meant he could go in and pick the best parts available to use, which wouldn't be the same as re-recording or anything anything, but really just using the best pre-existing bits.

EDIT: Not an exact, 100% transcript, but here’s the penitent stuff Mike says:

I had the opportunity to go in on a couple of them. We had, um, there’s a song called “Fighting Myself” in this batch, as well…”

“Do we have multitracks?”

“He found the session with the multis, um, they were like exports so I brought – I got to take them into the computer and pick through what was there and we had the makings of a chorus that was like 90% done…”

He does talk about not re-recording and "to the listener it's done," but it does sound like some additional post production/remixing was done, it wasn't just like the file he got from the manager exported. Maybe it's too much for me to say "edited/comped," and I had thought he said something more explicit, so that's my bad. But like you said, if he took the chorus from the manager's demo, and then other parts from the demo he had, that's editing stuff together. It's not super clear yet that that happened, though.

But we do know with the new mix of "Lost" that they're not adverse to remixing and that doesn't interfere with the concept of keeping everything authentic, and "Fighting Myself" is also probably technically a "new" mix, even though it's the only version of the song we'll have.

That's all just to say that I find this stuff super fascinating. If I had to pick *one* thing that was the reason for me going to audio school as an adult, it was watching Mike with Pro Tools in the back of the bus on Frat Party. 

Now I agree. It's all about wording only. :D I understood your first post as "Mike edited these demos" meaning "he changed them, added new sounds and re-recorded some parts" and that's why I didn't agree. However, yeah, it's true that he admitted in the interview that these demos/unreleased songs aren't just exported tracks that they simply put in the boxset but he actually picked the best versions of the vocal recordings and all that stuff. I believe that for some of these songs this was necessary. Mike had a version of Fighting Myself with no chorus so he had to add it somehow for the song to sound full. Considering that the band's manager had some multitracks, Mike had comfort to choose the best recording of the chorus, for instance. For a listener, this minor editing doesn't change anything but the final product certainly benefited from it. I'm glad that Mike didn't change the songs completely, making them sound like something from, for example, One More Light. I'm a big fan of this album but I feel like significantly changing these demos from Meteora era would make them sound really unauthentic. It's not something that I think Mike would do, I'm just speculating. BTW, I'm not arguing with you in any way, just discussing the topic that we are both interested in. ;)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, blackout said:

Now I agree. It's all about wording only. :D I understood your first post as "Mike edited these demos" meaning "he changed them, added new sounds and re-recorded some parts" and that's why I didn't agree. However, yeah, it's true that he admitted in the interview that these demos/unreleased songs aren't just exported tracks that they simply put in the boxset but he actually picked the best versions of the vocal recordings and all that stuff. I believe that for some of these songs this was necessary. Mike had a version of Fighting Myself with no chorus so he had to add it somehow for the song to sound full. Considering that the band's manager had some multitracks, Mike had comfort to choose the best recording of the chorus, for instance. For a listener, this minor editing doesn't change anything but the final product certainly benefited from it. I'm glad that Mike didn't change the songs completely, making them sound like something from, for example, One More Light. I'm a big fan of this album but I feel like significantly changing these demos from Meteora era would make them sound really unauthentic. It's not something that I think Mike would do, I'm just speculating. BTW, I'm not arguing with you in any way, just discussing the topic that we are both interested in. ;)

100% what I was trying to get at and totally agree! Glad I was able to clarify my points; no arguments at all here. 🙂

Now the next question is how I get the manager to send me the multitracks! 😆

3 minutes ago, Sessin said:

Thank you. That explains a lot. I was wondering why I can't find anything on youtube. 😁

i think i saw something on their website, something about NFT or something. and no problem :)

Edited by AJ93

I don't understand why the music video for "Lost" is getting all the hate because it's made by AI. I honestly think that the music video for the song is very cool, amazing, and beautiful. All the scenes from the music video of "Somewhere I Belong", the music video of "Breaking The Habit", The Making Of Meteora DVD, The Art Of Meteora documentary, The Making Of Breaking The Habit video, the Live In Texas live performances, and the music video of 'New Divide', it's all very cool. This, pretty obviously, reminds me of the music video for "Breaking The Habit" with the anime vibes from it. This music video definitely gives me nostalgia, making me think back to when I originally watched some of these music videos, The Art Of Meteora, and the making ofs.

Edited by NJPLP

8 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

I don't understand why the music video for "Lost" is getting all the hate because it's made by AI. I honestly think that the music video for the song is very cool, amazing, and beautiful. All the scenes from the music video of "Somewhere I Belong", the music video of "Breaking The Habit", The Making Of Meteora DVD, The Art Of Meteora documentary, The Making Of Breaking The Habit video, the Live In Texas live performances, and the music video of 'New Divide', it's all very cool. This, pretty obviously, reminds me of the music video for "Breaking The Habit" with the anime vibes from it. This music video definitely gives me nostalgia, making me think back to when I originally watched some of these music videos, The Art Of Meteora, and the making ofs.

i did mention that about the references and easter eggs scens of every meteora etc.. also, ignore those who hate ai. let's all apreaciate lp and their mv :)

9 hours ago, Hybrider said:

It deserves to be on first places in every single chart. This one song beats all those pop Cyrus/Bieber type shits floating on radio stations.

lmao

Bieber and Cyrus aren't even the artists being played on radio stations. This take is so dated it belongs in a museum.

7 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

lmao

Bieber and Cyrus aren't even the artists being played on radio stations. This take is so dated it belongs in a museum.

Yeah it’s a 2010 rant made by someone complaining that The Catalyst is not #1 on Billboard 😂😂 part of the nostalgia trip 

11 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

lmao

Flowers is played quite frequently here in Germany as far as I can tell. But it's also a great song so that's fine.

Now that everything is out I want to thank @martinez for giving us the info of the full tracklist you were always accurate and  that's probably one of your best moments in this forum that i will always remember, thanks so much man!

I was wondering if you could tell us your experience of the day that you found out about this? 

im not sure if you can tell me how you found it, if its not possible im just fine if you tell us your experience from that day.

Edited by JZ-GreyDaze

13 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Over what? It isn't better than anything that made the album, right? Nobody's Listening maybe?

Yeah, probably Nobody’s Listening. NL was always better live than the studio version. It’s just amazing to finally hear this after wanting it for so long. I love Chester’s vocal performance on this song so much. I think that’s why I like it so much. 

Edited by xxHybridXeroxx

I think arguably, the song is better than half off the album (Nobody's Listening, Hit The Floor,  Easier To Run, Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong). Mostly due to Chester stellar performance, his vocals are absolutely stunning here.

That said. I agree with Mike that having this and Numb on the same album wouldn't feel right. They are wayyy too similar, almost like twin songs.

I think it's one of Chester's best vocal performances from the era but the song overall isn't better than the ballads that are already on the album. If you replace Hit The Floor or Nobody's Listening then I think the album becomes too ballad-heavy for Linkin Park in 2003.

22 hours ago, Coizu said:

What's really interesting are the other music videos they reference. The BTH reference is obvious, but there are also some SIB scenes etc.

But what really confuses me are the New Divide references. How do those fit it?

How do they not? They are a part of Linkin Park’s career. Waiting for the End and Fine are in there. It’s comprehensive about Chester, it isn’t just Meteora.