Linkin Park - Lost | Out February 10, 2023

PeppePark

16 minutes ago, hahninator said:

How do they not? They are a part of Linkin Park’s career. Waiting for the End and Fine are in there. It’s comprehensive about Chester, it isn’t just Meteora. 

I missed those. So I thought New Divide was the only non-Meteora reference which made it stand out.

Edited by Coizu

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, leftshoe18 said:

I think it's one of Chester's best vocal performances from the era but the song overall isn't better than the ballads that are already on the album. If you replace Hit The Floor or Nobody's Listening then I think the album becomes too ballad-heavy for Linkin Park in 2003.

Better than easier to run

12 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Over what? It isn't better than anything that made the album, right? Nobody's Listening maybe?

I’d have picked Lost over Nobody’s Listening any day, no brainer to me. But I get the choice, they would have had 3 really similar songs on the album (Numb, ETR and Lost), so it’s understandable, Nobody’s listening being more hip hop leaning and experimental 

I like Lost more than Nobody's Listening but I think NL is important to the flow of the album and Linkin Park in general being able to branch out into more styles on subsequent albums. The seeds for experimentation were set on Meteora with songs like Breaking the Habit and Nobody's Listening so they could push more of their boundaries with MTM.

26 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

I like Lost more than Nobody's Listening but I think NL is important to the flow of the album and Linkin Park in general being able to branch out into more styles on subsequent albums. The seeds for experimentation were set on Meteora with songs like Breaking the Habit and Nobody's Listening so they could push more of their boundaries with MTM.

I agree on this, LOST instead of Nobody’s would have been like cutting UIB and adding another song similar to BID. 

6 hours ago, hahninator said:

How do they not? They are a part of Linkin Park’s career. Waiting for the End and Fine are in there. It’s comprehensive about Chester, it isn’t just Meteora. 

probably just me, but fine is not from LP, so this is the part I question why it made it in there to begin with. However, it doesn't change the actual result for me and triggered my curiosity about the decision.

3 hours ago, xeroboi said:

Mike dislike easier to run

It's really interesting that Hit The Floor and ETR only were played for 2 months and then they got deleted from existence.

They deserved better especially ETR that had a really good spot in the set it was the song that they used to open the encore.

Very interesting and weird situation.

Hit the Floor sounded off live. Especially when you had something like Figure.09 in there that could come off better on stage.

Easier to Run is a good song to open the encore. They should have kept it. Don't play it on Summer Sanitarium, but when that setlist went international to Europe, Australia, Asia, keep it in that setlist to open the encore before APFMH/OSC. They started bringing My December back in that slot, which is fine, but ETR could have been played at 20 more shows after Summer Sanitarium. Bringing My December back in Asia is good.

In summer 2004 they wanted an explosive encore with Crawling, Wish, and One Step Closer. They tried dropping A Place for My Head twice to start both summer tours in 2004 but brought it back both times lol

2 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

I think it's odd that Hit The Floor didn't translate well live. On the record it feels like it would be a great song for a live show.

There are some other examples of live songs that sound off in their early performances but later they master them and sound good.

i think that they really disliked those songs and thats why they were out.

52 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

There are some other examples of live songs that sound off in their early performances but later they master them and sound good.

i think that they really disliked those songs and thats why they were out.

It happens that you write a song thinking “this is gonna be great live” and then you play it for a few times and it is “meh”. Happened in my band a couple of times 😀

Are we sure lost has the same authenticity as we saw in the making of Meteora dvd? The lyrics are different so is the instrumentation except that computer beep boop, The only thing I can contrast is the breakdown near 2:30 on the track because Chester really shines but the rest of the song is poppier and pretty much underwhelming, hearing Chester is worth it but the track itself is weak so are we sure this was a demo that was finished around that time or did Mike finish it now. 

Mike confirms he didn't touch anything now on it. The Making of Meteora shows songs so early in the process - look how rough/bad the demos are of Figure.09, From the Inside, Somewhere I Belong, Lost are in the DVD. That stuff was filmed in early 2002 to summer 2002~. Way way before the songs took big shape. There's no reason to think Mike finished the song now or something, he said it was fully completed in 2002 and the first song to be cut from the album.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, JZ-GreyDaze said:

The instrumental of Lost is not that good

I disagree a bit. The new one isn’t incredible but I think the original Andy Wallace mix will be a lot better. The new mix doesn’t fit with the sound of the rest of the album, and the 2002 mix most definitely will.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

38 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

I disagree a bit. The new one isn’t incredible but I think the original Andy Wallace mix will be a lot better. The new mix doesn’t fit with the sound of the rest of the album, and the 2002 mix most definitely will.

Maybe that's why they decided to add the original mix to the CD bundle, to recreate a "What If" with 14 tracks.

PS: besides the obvious cashgrab