Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out April 7, 2023

BeardyWilderness

So "resolution" becomes "lost" "demo" because... There's... One... Sample.. that was.. re....used? Even tho there's a different guitar, drums, keys, effects, strings, vocals, structure... I mean, everything? LP re uses samples all the time. Sorry, this make absolutely zero sense.

It that's how we go, "into you" from dead by sunrise has a really similar bridge to lost. Maybe that's was a demo too 

Edit: just heard "resolution" bridge a couple of times and that's not the same chord progression.

Edited by bruh009

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/4/2023 at 2:28 PM, IWillWalkAway said:

Ok. I’m trying to explain this so please read carefully. “Resolution” was among the 15 final songs recorded for Meteora. We’ve seen it on the Meteora board in footage from October 2002, with FIFTEEN songs recorded in the final process. We know what they ALL are now. this “Wizard song” which is apparently Resolution, wasn’t its own song to be one of them, it was the 12 album songs, LOST, Fighting Myself, and More The Victim. Then, confirmed by Mike in the FADER Interview, THIRTEEN went to go to the mix which was the 12 album tracks and “Lost”.

Point is, There’s nothing else Resolution could be other than an early demo of Lost or some other album track which would make no sense at all.

All songs worked on in the final process were on the board. It’s 100%. There’d be no reason to remove them unless work is stopped on them. The only one that was MAYBE in that blank space was Fighting Myself, which would explain the 2 Figure.09 demos, when the band was likely in the process of narrowing it down from 15 to 14 songs

👏👏👏👏👏

you had so much conviction, and you were right alllll along. Well done!

6 hours ago, bruh009 said:

So "resolution" becomes "lost" "demo" because... There's... One... Sample.. that was.. re....used? Even tho there's a different guitar, drums, keys, effects, strings, vocals, structure... I mean, everything? LP re uses samples all the time. Sorry, this make absolutely zero sense.

It that's how we go, "into you" from dead by sunrise has a really similar bridge to lost. Maybe that's was a demo too 

Edit: just heard "resolution" bridge a couple of times and that's not the same chord progression.

SMH 🤦‍♂️ It’s NOT just one sample, bruh. It’s got the same key, tempo, and besides all of that, it’s already been confirmed by a note by Brad in the new Meteora book that Resolution became Lost. The demo got reassembled a lot.

People gotta realize that Demos can be very different from the final version of a song. Use Shifter for example, it’s pretty different than From The Inside, maybe not as far as Resolution is from Lost but that just means it got changed a little bit more than most.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

10 hours ago, bruh009 said:

The vocals for Lost fits over Resolution perfectly and if you take the Wizard Song vocals and put it over Lost, it's one in the same.

2 hours ago, solidss said:

The vocals for Lost fits over Resolution perfectly and if you take the Wizard Song vocals and put it over Lost, it's one in the same.

I put the isolated Lost vocals over Resolution too, and it lines up perfectly in every part. Resolution is definitely similar enough to be a demo of Lost, it’s not like totally different aside from key and tempo. There’s actually a lot of similarities in the tune, the beat, and chord progression.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

On 3/23/2023 at 6:06 PM, solidss said:

Meteora is a masterpiece and the tracks that made the final cut on the album deserves its spot.  I'm just more surprised that these tracks were kept hidden for 20 years. Even when all the LPU CDs came out, none of it made the cut on those too despite featuring a bunch of unfinished instrumental demos. It seems like after the Meteora era, they committed to their new sound, so releasing those tracks would only mean going backwards in terms of their career so they wanted to just move past it. But 20 years, that is impressive to keeping finished tracks that would have definitely been hits back then under lock and key without ever getting leaked. 

im pretty certain they knew what types of demos to put on the LPU releases and what type of things to hold on to for 'greater purposes'. LPU in the first few years had some very fleshed out tracks, some essentially finished, others just close to finished... and some years it was live-only releases (which were a pain for me haha). after LPU8 they pretty much went into the format they would continue in, which seemed to focus more on 'work in progress' demos, sketches, and rougher unfinished ideas, with the odd 'gem' here and there. i feel like they were very selective in the first few years with what they put on them (hence the 5-6 track release lengths) and then post-LPU8 it became a fairly specific type of demo we'd get but a lot more of them. but we've always known there was more significant stuff we weren't getting. i'm just glad we're at the point in time now where it's clear that yes these are the occasions to release those!

So, Resolution is a demo of Lost similar to what Holding Company is to LITE? Regarding the later, I always felt that they were too different to be ever considered a demo and a finished product of the same idea. But that's just my take 

So on the Wesside you can hear the main piano sample "WEST"(reversed and straight) from stagelight samples(you can hear it also on LP JAM 01)

P.S

On the chorus A6 you can hear similar sample(instrument) that appered on In My Remains in the verses(Chimes Sekur BC RAM-A83)

Edited by dronnin

Lost 2002 Mix has leaked and to no surprise, it’s the summer sanitarium/Mikes Shirt version. Sounds just like a Meteora album track. It’s literally a fully done Meteora song we’ve never heard until now.

And those guitars are just orgasmic in it man like Holyyy. So much more Meteora and Hybrid Theory vibes with it overall. Not necessarily better than the new mix, though maybe slightly. But it’s far more nostalgic. Pretty much every song Andy has mixed just gives me purified nostalgia, man.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

3 hours ago, IWillWalkAway said:

Lost 2002 Mix has leaked and to no surprise, it’s the summer sanitarium/Mikes Shirt version. Sounds just like a Meteora album track. It’s literally a fully done Meteora song we’ve never heard until now.

And those guitars are just orgasmic in it man like Holyyy. So much more Meteora and Hybrid Theory vibes with it overall. Not necessarily better than the new mix, though maybe slightly. But it’s far more nostalgic. Pretty much every song Andy has mixed just gives me purified nostalgia, man.

Lost 2002 mix is much better than new mix.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, solidss said:

The 2002 mix will have all the exact same parts of the song we have now, only mixed differently. The drums, bass, guitars, etc. all the individual stems of the track will be in different volumes compared to what we have now mixed by Manny.  Gonna be interesting to compare both versions to see how Andy Wallace wanted it to sound in 2002 compared to Manny for his more modern sound.

as it turns out, there’s actually quite a few sounds in the 2002 mix that got sort of replaced in the new mix and some taken out and some added. Noticeably the first (cleaner) half of the bridge is quite different. Andy and Manny both did amazing jobs on mixing the song. I can’t decide which one I like more. Both are different but I honestly think it’s perfectly split for me.

I definitely think the 2002 mix sounds a lot more early 2000’s and more retro LP, and it’s cool to hear what the song would’ve sounded like if put on the album back in 2003. It fits in very well with the rest of the albums sound at least I think so.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

21 hours ago, xcursedgravex said:

I didn't go too far back, so apologies, I've only saw one person mention it. Chester is singing the chorus to Massive right? I saw someone had Massive listed as Mike only, but I'm like 99.999% Chester is singing the chorus or they're singing it together.

It’s hard to tell. I think it’s all Mike, but the higher harmonizing vocals in the chorus MIGHT be Chester.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

8 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

It’s hard to tell. I think it’s all Mike, but the higher harmonizing vocals in the chorus might be Chester.

That's sort of what I'm wondering, it just sounds like an entirely different vocal that I haven't heard come from Mike before. I'd like to think they're doing it together, because like you pointed out there's definitely a higher harmony, and a lower harmony. My only other "evidence" that Chester is on the chorus is the placing in the track list, could be nothing, but all the Chester tracks are grouped together and then the Mike tracks are grouped.

If it is all Mike, then damn, he can sound like Chester in a way I've never knew. I figured Mike could carry the band alone, but this song shows he could do some of the old Chester stuff as well.

One other thing, the way the word "controlling" sounds, that may not even be the word, sounds like how Chester says it in another song but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Edited by xcursedgravex
added extra bit

3 minutes ago, xcursedgravex said:

That's sort of what I'm wondering, it just sounds like an entirely different vocal that I haven't heard come from Mike before. I'd like to think they're doing it together, because like you pointed out there's definitely a higher harmony, and a lower harmony. My only other "evidence" that Chester is on the chorus is the placing in the track list, could be nothing, but all the Chester tracks are grouped together and then the Mike tracks are grouped.

If it is all Mike, then damn, he can sound like Chester in a way I've never knew. I figured Mike could carry the band alone, but this song shows he could do some of the old Chester stuff as well.

Chester and Mike could sing very similarly when singing the less heavy stuff. I think that’s probably why. Massive doesn’t have any heavy, aggressive or high vocals, which is where Chester really stood out the greatest from everyone on planet earth.

3 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

Chester and Mike could sing very similarly when singing the less heavy stuff. I think that’s probably why. Massive doesn’t have any heavy, aggressive or high vocals, which is where Chester really stood out the greatest from everyone on planet earth.

I think this is the biggest surprise from the Lost Demo CD imo, at least for me. If the chorus is solely Mike, it blows my mind lol. I'm usually pretty good at picking out voices, Mike has a specific tone to his delivery, that's how at the end of the second chorus it's like "oh that's Mike", but him hitting Chester's tone and word cadence is something I didn't know he could do.

It immediately made me think of the Zane Lowe interview from the other day though and how they said Chester would mimic other artists sometimes when doing a vocal. It'd make sense Mike could do that with Chester, but it's damn impressive imo.

I do hope LP releases the 2002 mix on youtube at some point, so we have it in its original quality. I don’t have the deluxe CD set so Ive only heard the leak, but I am getting it soon. The only real issue is it’s a tad fuzzy in some spots and the synths over the chorus are barely audible, and i’m pretty sure that’s not to do with the mix, but I might be wrong. I’m not really an expert on stuff with ripping CD audio so I could be very wrong, and the it might just be the mix.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

On 4/4/2023 at 4:03 AM, IWillWalkAway said:

Cumulus - More The Victim (1)

Interrogation - Easier To Run (2)

Cuidado - Lying From You (3)

BLANK - Fighting Myself (4)

Pretty Birdie - Somewhere I Belong (5)

Shifter - From The Inside (6)

Serpent - Numb or Nobody's Listening (7)

Nocturnal - Numb or NL also (8)

Session (9)

Resolution - Lost (10)

Faint (11)

Sick - Don’t Stay (12)

Plaster II - Figure.09 (13

Husky - Hit The Floor (14)

Drawing - Breaking The Habit (15)

Figure.09 (16)

After seeing the clear shot of the board we can finally come to the conclusion that

the Blank spot is "Healing Foot" as it shows they only recorded drums and then scrapped it

Serpent doesn't exist. The whole time it said "Shortcut" which is Fighting Myself.

Edited by solidss

On 4/6/2023 at 2:50 AM, Xandersilk said:

It's clear that during the making of Meteora there was a lot more experimentation going on wheras with Hybrid Theory they went in with half of the album being nearly finished, and how they worked really hard to try not to let it sound like a derivative of HT.

Uh, did you ever listened to any of their demos between 1996-1999? The experimentation part was there since day one, not since Meteora or even ATS.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:17 AM, xcursedgravex said:

I think this is the biggest surprise from the Lost Demo CD imo, at least for me. If the chorus is solely Mike, it blows my mind lol. I'm usually pretty good at picking out voices, Mike has a specific tone to his delivery, that's how at the end of the second chorus it's like "oh that's Mike", but him hitting Chester's tone and word cadence is something I didn't know he could do.

It immediately made me think of the Zane Lowe interview from the other day though and how they said Chester would mimic other artists sometimes when doing a vocal. It'd make sense Mike could do that with Chester, but it's damn impressive imo.

I think Mike's singing is great, but I think we've heard that falsetto-ish tone he's doing in the chorus there many times before and other impressive high vocals.  Points of Authority verses live, back vocals in Ghosts, the "oooh" in New Divide live is pretty high and powerful, so is a lot of his backing in Nobody Can Save Me. He can definitely get up there, just not super comfortably. Massive doesn't surprise me based on all this stuff (and others I can't think of off the top of my head)

On 4/8/2023 at 12:13 PM, solidss said:

After seeing the clear shot of the board we can finally come to the conclusion that

the Blank spot is "Healing Foot" as it shows they only recorded drums and then scrapped it

Serpent doesn't exist. The whole time it said "Shortcut" which is Fighting Myself.

The same situation we had with Hearsay/Nursery actually being "Husky". Interesting stuff!

Edited by IWillWalkAway