"Dropped Frames, Vol. 2" Release & Tracklisting

LPLStaff

Happy Album Release Day!

Mike Shinoda's second album from the "Dropped Frames" series is out now worldwide! "Dropped Frames, Vol. 2" comes one month after the first edition and will be followed up by at least one more rendition of music. As of today, Mike has at least 70 instrumental songs that he has composed on Twitch and Instagram Live since March... that is a LOT!

Tracklisting:
01. Transitions 2:59
02. Crystalina 3:30
03. Julio's Revenge 1:49
04. Isolation Bird (feat. Money Mark) 3:03
05. Side Scrolling 3:24
06. Dungeon Crawler 1:33
07. Dog Whistles 2:14
08. Astral (feat. Elise Trouw) 2:24
09. Sunset Drive  2:39
10. Channeling, Pt. 2 (feat. Dan Mayo)  2:30
11. King Paprika  2:22
12. Party Meow 1:44

What do you think of volume 2? Do you like it more than volume 1?

For more information on the album, check out the Linkinpedia page!

I like this a lot more than the volumen 1. i find the song on this one more "serious" for a lack of a better word.

Crystalina totally accomplished the purpose of being a trip-hop IDM song (No joke the piano is borrowed straigth from Stem by DJ Shadow and at the end it sound like Flim by Aphex Twin). Big fan of the Chiptune/Trap vibe in Julio's Revenge, Side Scrolling and Dungeon Crawler, you can easily tell what inspired this songs without need to know the original requested style.

And the other songs like Astral, Channeling or Dog Whistles are pretty good also

For some reason, DF2 does not do it for me. I really enjoyed Dropped Frames 1. The second volume seems noticeably shorter to me, time-wise. I do like Transitions and King Paprika, but the album is missing something. It's almost like a lot of these were outtakes from the better collection of DF1, but I know that's not the case.

DF1 is pretty damn good. Super Galaxtica starts it off well and Cupcake Cake is my favorite track on the album. The real highlights are where Doodle Buzz goes into Channeling pt1, and then the back-to-back of Session McSessionface and Neon Crickets. Both of those are awesome songs - Mike on the bass on McSessionface with a sick beat at the end, and on guitar on Neon Crickets.

Anyway, I liked the composition of the DF1 songs much more. DF2 only has one transition, from Sunset Drive to Channeling pt2. Overall, the songs seem like they had less work put into them and I also don't enjoy the two 8-bit-style songs, especially coming after Super Galaxtica on DF1 which is pretty close to a masterpiece if you're using samples like that. I just have a hard time finding the quality music that I found on DF1.

It will take a few spins until I can judge this thing. A lot of promise and nice touches. I still think he should put some of the beats more into the background to let the layering of sounds do its job but that is Mike's style in the end.
One thing that irked me a bit was the FF7 "homage" in "Julio's Revenge". That melody threw me off completely :D. Just a small nitpick at this point, there is a lot of stuff to get familiar with and to discover. Looking forward :).

14 minutes ago, hahninator said:

Anyway, I liked the composition of the DF1 songs much more. DF2 only has one transition, from Sunset Drive to Channeling pt2.

There are two transitions. From Astral to Sunset Drive and From Sunset to Channeling. Also a really small part of the Channeling outro is in the intro of King Paprika, but this is unnoticeable.

It is super interesting how people really like one more than the other. I think vol 2 is way better than the first one. I tried to put the first volume on while working and it didn't do it for me while volume 2 feels super great.

So far I'm liking vol 2 a lot more than 1! I don't follow every stream, does he talk about how he put these together? In terms of which ones he's picked? Is he trying not to put up ones where he was asked to sound like certain artists like Panic at the Disco? Some of those are my favs

I like Volume 2 more than the first one. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses (I wouldn't really put tracks like Isolation Bird, Booty Down and Party Meow on my daily playlist, honestly, but I get the idea of them as songs purely created for fun), but the newest one seems to be more enjoyable in general. In my opinion, it is more coherent and a lot of the stuff sounds LP-ish. Also, as Diaux wrote - Volume 2 sounds more "serious", more like a proper album. I'd like to hear more transitions though. I know there are some but they are not as noticeable as on Volume 1. My favourites are Astral, Transitions and Sunset Drive. All in all, as I watch Mike's streams from time to time, I see that he works on these intrumentals only on the streams without changing them much afterwards. Thus, I really respect that he can create numerous cool instrumentals and create a solid album out of them. Seeing him working on this stuff is dope and the streams only show a part of his skills when it comes to making music and songwriting in general.

By the way, I don't care about the heavy instrumentals that he's doing on the streams as much as other people (I like them, but not all of them are my favourites), but I think he plans to put them all on one part of Dropped Frames (volume 3? maybe later). There are a lot of heavier stuff that was done on early streams but apparently, none of them have been released yet.

You guys seem so fond of analyzing and going deep into those 2 instrumental records, and that’s super fine. Probably some of you are even musicians (like PeppePark) so seeing the creative process and then having the final result is exciting I guess because you were “there” Watching him creating the sounds. To me, not really my cup of tea, TBH I never listened to DF1 front to back and I probably won’t do that with Vol 2 too not because I think they are bad (they aren’t) but I feel bored going through them. 
As of Vol 2. I really like transitions 

I feel about the same about volume 2 as I did volume 1. They're both fine. The context of knowing that he did these on stream and being able to watch his process elevates them a bit, but there's nothing here I'm probably gonna go back to

On 7/31/2020 at 2:31 PM, Trumtram said:

One thing that irked me a bit was the FF7 "homage" in "Julio's Revenge". That melody threw me off completely :D. 

I just checked the themes and recognize the stupidity of this statement which I therefore like to retract :D.

1 hour ago, NimaLP said:

I got a feeling that DF3 is gonna be even better. The music keeps getting better and better on his streams imo, especially in the last couple months.

on the first DF, he still on the early phase of doing music on twitch but later on, he's getting better and get used to it. DF2 proves it. let's see on the 3rd release. i dont mind if he keep releasing this forever. there's no harm for it. he's fkin genius.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:18 AM, Diaux said:

I like this a lot more than the volumen 1. i find the song on this one more "serious" for a lack of a better word.

Crystalina totally accomplished the purpose of being a trip-hop IDM song (No joke the piano is borrowed straigth from Stem by DJ Shadow and at the end it sound like Flim by Aphex Twin). Big fan of the Chiptune/Trap vibe in Julio's Revenge, Side Scrolling and Dungeon Crawler, you can easily tell what inspired this songs without need to know the original requested style.

And the other songs like Astral, Channeling or Dog Whistles are pretty good also

Oh man, I knew I heard the piano of Crystalina somewhere! It was bugging me that I couldn't remember where I had heard it. And you're right - it's straight from Stem! Thanks a lot! :D

Overall, I find vol1 and vol2 pretty similar in that they both have good and not so good songs. But I am also not a big fan of 8bit-style. My favorites off of vol2 are Transitions, Crystalina, and King Paprika.

I'm starting to get a little bit tired of those instrumentals by Mike.

Don't get me wrong, i really like some of them and enjoy a lot that he's being so productive and releasing stuff.

But won't it worn us all out?

Like... when finally he decides to release a proper song or album, it won't feel that special because we have heard so much stuff from him.