Post Traumatic Album Release Day

RogueSoul

MGK is nothing but a Ryu replacement to me, I feel like Ryu would have been on that track five years ago - and would have come with a better feature. Chino kills it though

I absolutely love the K Flay track, it sounds like she had a hand in the production

I love Brooding, I could listen to Mike's instrumentals all day

About You is still the least favorite song I have listened to, I wish Mike took his lyrics and put them on a better track.

HE GOES IN ON IOU HOLY GUAC. My jaw dropped about 25 seconds and and stayed until he finished his second verse

World's On Fire seems like it's the second weakest track on the album

Can't Hear You Now is a great ending to the album. So proud of Mike, so impressed by him

Nah, fuck that. No disrespect to you for your opinion. Kells is sick. I like a lot of his music and he's a huge artist. He's been friends with Mike since 2014 easily, when he first collaborated with LP at Warped Tour. Ryu had some sick shit back in the day, but he's extremely irrelevant now. And MGK would destroy him. Plus, SOB was pissed at Mike because their shitty Reseda Beach album didn't go super commercial, like it was his fault even remotely. That album was so extremely bad. I actually listened to it a few months ago after not hearing it since like 2012 literally and I couldn't even finish it, it was so cringey. But I don't want to get into all that. I actually really liked MGK's verse in Lift Off, it was my favorite part of the entire song. Mike's verse was sick too, it reminded me of Xero and Hybrid Theory era rapping and also lyrically. But MGK's verse was the best part. Chino also sang a great chorus but you can't compare that.

Brooding, that really is an awesome track. I enjoyed it a lot and I find myself replaying that one every couple tracks. Lol.

It's also funny too because I really still love About You. Solid track, IMO.

World's On Fire was a little bland but I did like it a lot, it's really kind of a different sound than the rest of the album, IMO.

100% agree on Can't Hear You Now, that's a fantastic song, I love it. I'm currently having a few drinks and just playing this album and it's awesome. Still not into the K.Flay track but that's ok, I can live with not liking only 1 track off of the entire thing.

Edited by Geki

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, fuck that. No disrespect to you for your opinion. Kells is sick. I like a lot of his music and he's a huge artist. He's been friends with Mike since 2014 easily, when he first collaborated with LP at Warped Tour. Ryu had some sick shit back in the day, but he's extremely irrelevant now. And MGK would destroy him. Plus, SOB was pissed at Mike because their shitty Reseda Beach album didn't go super commercial, like it was his fault even remotely. That album was so extremely bad. I actually listened to it a few months ago after not hearing it since like 2012 literally and I couldn't even finish it, it was so cringey. But I don't want to get into all that. I actually really liked MGK's verse in Lift Off, it was my favorite part of the entire song. Mike's verse was sick too, it reminded me of Xero and Hybrid Theory era rapping and also lyrically. But MGK's verse was the best part. Chino also sang a great chorus but you can't compare that.

Brooding, that really is an awesome track. I enjoyed it a lot and I find myself replaying that one every couple tracks. Lol.

It's also funny too because I really still love About You. Solid track, IMO.

World's On Fire was a little bland but I did like it a lot, it's really kind of a different sound than the rest of the album, IMO.

100% agree on Can't Hear You Now, that's a fantastic song, I love it. I'm currently having a few drinks and just playing this album and it's awesome. Still not into the K.Flay track but that's ok, I can live with not liking only 1 track off of the entire thing.

MGK had a solid verse, he really impressed me. One of the best I've heard from him, but he seemed like he was featured because Ryu and Mike fell out. It seems like that's exactly the track Ryu would be on, MGK no matter how good still sounds like a replacement to me, just because Ryu doesn't make much music now makes him worse? Dude has one of the most underrated flows in the game right now, he rides and bodies just about every beat he's been on. Don't need to bring irrelevant Reseda beach stuff up, that's not relevant to the conversation

I'll listen to Make it up as I go twice for you and you can just take About you twice. I think K Flay has two solid albums, I like almost anything she puts out now. Her voice, not unlike Skylar Grey, is incredibly polarizing IMO

I had a feeling that whoever equated Can't Hear You Now to UIB was going to be way off base.

I don't even understand how in any way it sounds like UIB at all. It sounds absolutely nothing like UIB. That's why I'm over believing reviews from people who review the album in the future for LP and LP related shit. I would get banned if I said what I really think about the person who said it sounded like UIB.

MGK had a solid verse, he really impressed me. One of the best I've heard from him, but he seemed like he was featured because Ryu and Mike fell out. It seems like that's exactly the track Ryu would be on, MGK no matter how good still sounds like a replacement to me, just because Ryu doesn't make much music now makes him worse? Dude has one of the most underrated flows in the game right now, he rides and bodies just about every beat he's been on. Don't need to bring irrelevant Reseda beach stuff up, that's not relevant to the conversation

I'll listen to Make it up as I go twice for you and you can just take About you twice. I think K Flay has two solid albums, I like almost anything she puts out now. Her voice, not unlike Skylar Grey, is incredibly polarizing IMO

Idk. MGK and Mike have been friends for a while now, as far back as Warped Tour in June 2014, probably even before. Mike has always kept up with rap and whoever is hot in the game at the time, and just rappers that he likes. He has mentioned years back that he loved Action Bronson and Tyler, The Creator who I think are both extremely talented and awesome. He just knows good hip-hop and rap, he's always been from that world, ever since he was growing up in the 90's. MGK was gonna also open for LP on the OML Tour in 2017, too. I don't think he's necessarily a replacement for Ryu. I could see what you mean that him and Ryu have a similar swagger but idk. I do respect your opinion, trust me, I am the king of opinions. Ryu was really awesome back in the day, I loved his shit on 2000 Fold, Megadef and the Fort Minor stuff. Some of Razor Tag was good, too. I also liked his solo shit he put out a few years back. I just thought Reseda Beach was wack. It was like SOB trying to go commercial and SOB wasn't commercial at all prior to that. But the songs were also just realllllllly cheesy. You know what I mean? And I shouldn't have brought up that SOB beef with Mike, you're right. But still that wasn't Mike's fault at all, anyone with ears can tell that album was garbage aside from like 1 or 2 tracks, maybe, 1 of them being Second To None. Overall I just think MGK is far superior to Ryu and I'm glad he is featured here. I've noticed a lot of LP fans don't like MGK over the years, I don't get why, he's good.

I always love when an album drops and fans talk about the songs and it's always cool to see people like certain songs more than others, etc. It's cool you like the K.Flay track, no disrespect at all. I have heard Blood In The Cut once back in like late 2016 I feel like and that was it, so I wasn't familiar with her. I don't not like her as a person, just not too into her voice.. I will admit that I like the song more than Heavy, though, and I like her feature more than Kiiara. I have always thought that Heavy should have been sang by fully Chester but that's besides the point. K.Flay delivers a good melody, it gets stuck in your head. The song was just a little boring to me, I didn't like it that much.

Edited by Geki

I've only listened once in full, listened to the EP a bunch and Ghosts a couple of times before the album dropped.

First impression is to be impressed. It was only a year ago OML came out. And Mike didn't start working on this till July/August. It is truly stunning the production value and quality for such a short time. Mike is amazing.

I pretty much liked everything. I haven't ever really enjoyed other vocalist collabs except Rakim. Was pleasantly surprised by K Flay and of course Chino killed it. Need an edited version of Lift off without MGK. And the other collabs I wouldn't miss if they were gone.

Thats really the only part I didn't like. I need to listen to this a lot more before I do rankings. No immediate favorite either.

Overall thrilled for Mike. But this one will of course have a bittersweet cloud overhead.

Why can't I download the digital album, when I pre-ordered the bundle?

Did you recieve the e-mail?

If so you have to download the .zip file from your computer (didn't work with mobile devices) and it should be OK

Loving the album, picked up an additional physical copy, since my Artbook edition is still on it's way.

My favourites are Crossing a Line, Running from my Shadow, Lift Off, IOU and Over Again currently.

The album is great, thank you Mike!

Best songs for me are:

Place To Start
Over Again
Watching As I Fall
Nothing Makes Sense Anymore
Promises I Can't Keep
Ghosts
I.O.U.
Running From My Shadow
I Can't Hear You Now

Edited by PeppePark

Bought a physical copy, I need to hear it a few more times but for sure I still really like the EP tracks and RFMS. At first I like a couple of the new ones that I didn't listened previously. MGK wasn't as bad as I thought, he had a solid verse.

I can't state enough how much I love Lift Off.

The vibe is so soothing, with Chino's amazing vocals. Great words from Mike and MGK as well. It's the big standout track for me. The other tracks are cool to. But I do feel like they sorta sound the same sonically, which might be a problem after listening too much. I know they are different, but thats how I feel about it.

Also hope that Mike is gonna take more risks in the future with the song structures. At times its all a bit formulatic. I hope he finds his inner Justin Vernon :P

Still a great album. And did mention I love Lift Off?!

01. Place To Start - A good opener. I wish Mike had cleaned up the intro a little bit more and had it start with the instrumental kicking in instead of the static and noise before it does kick in. But that's a very minor complaint. As far as the song goes, it's a good song. It's a good opener. The voicemails at the end are also a nice touch because it shows the darkness that Mike was going through right off the bat. Those voicemails must have been from right around when it happened, or at least within the first month.

02. Over Again - One of my favorite songs on the album. I've loved it since day one. Great lyrics, great melodies, great instrumental. No complaints. Mike spills his guts out for us and it's heartbreaking but also it works well for this song. It's cool how Mike recorded it, too. Doing the first verse the day of the Hollywood Bowl show and the second verse the day after. It's a hard song to listen to emotionally but it also kicks ass at the same time.

03. Watching As I Fall - Another good song. One of the ''heavier'' songs on the album, like Running From My Shadow. Mike comes in hard and the lyrics are really cool. The instrumental is maybe my favorite part of the song, actually. The beat comes in hard with the second verse and the synth shit throughout the song is awesome. Overall, it's just a solid song. It's dark lyrically as well, but in a different way than Over Again.

04. Nothing Makes Sense Anymore - One of the slower songs of the album, but it's a good song. I've never quite heard Mike sing this way before. It has great lyrics, once again. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites but it's a good song. It's pretty damn dark and it's kind of sad, too. It's not something I'd thrown on to jam to. It's more of a song that I have to be in the mood for and when I am, it's an excellent song.

05. About You - I like this song a lot. I know a lot of fans don't love it. But I think it's pretty good. It's not the best song by any means, but it's good. I like Mike's verses a lot here. The chorus is cool. I like the effect and the melody of it. Blackbear's verse is meh. I like Blackbear but I think his verse here is kind of boring, I wish he did a better one. But it's still cool. I always wanted to hear a song where him and Mike and or Chester did vocals on it, so here it is. The outro is crazy and definitely is awesome when playing it through some great speakers or whatever. It's a little bit long for an outro and I hate how it abruptly ends, it doesn't go into Brooding that well, but that's ok, the rest of the song is good.

06. Brooding - I love this track. One of my favorites, actually. I don't normally even really like instrumentals from LP or Mike or whatever except for a few, but this one is just epic. It's very dark sounding, IMO. The beat reminds me of Space Station or Burberry or whatever you want to say. LOL. Overall, a solid song and it's definitely awesome when listening to the album in full, it adds a nice context to the part of the album that it's in.

07. Promises I Can't Keep - I love Mike's singing here. It proves that he can continue Linkin Park if he really wanted to, fronting the band. I haven't heard him sing this way, either, just like Nothing Makes Sense Anymore. It's a really emotional song. It was one of the only songs on the album that put some tears in my eyes. The lyrics are great and the emotion from Mike is great. I'm glad this song exists. Again, it's not really a jam out song, this is an emotional song, very meaningful, like Nothing Makes Sense Anymore, but this song is a little better.

08. Crossing A Line - I always thought that this song was kind of boring and long. It has good lyrics. Recently, I've started to appreciate the song more. It's probably my least favorite song on the album next to Make It Up As I Go. But it's not a bad song, it's just boring to me.

09. Hold It Together - I love this song so much. It's probably my third favorite next to Can't Hear You Now and Over Again. The melody in this song is what does it for me. God damn it's catchy and Mike sounds awesome. I love the attitude of the song. I love the lyrics. This is just a solid song to me, it's one I can see myself playing for years.

10. Ghosts - Middle ground for me. I don't love the song, but it's not like I don't like it. It's a good song. It's pretty radio friendly. It has some cool lyrics and the music video served a purpose since it allowed Mike to have some fun amongst the darkness. But it's just not one of my favorite. It's still a good song. I like it more than Make It Up As I Go and Crossing A Line, for sure.

11. Make It Up As I Go - I don't like this song, I'm going to be honest. It's really the only song on the album that I don't like. I don't like K.Flay's voice and I'll be honest about that. Mike's parts are also kind of mediocre to me. This was originally a OML demo, right? I can see why it didn't make the cut for that album, no offense to anyone that likes it. This song just doesn't do it for me. I can't get into it. I just don't like it. I won't say that it's a shitty song since a lot of people do like it and Mike obviously likes it. Just for me personally, I'm not a fan.

12. Lift Off - A great song. Mike's verse is epic. Machine Gun Kelly's verse is my favorite part of the song, he just straight up kills it here, I'll give that to him. Chino's chorus is good, too. Super chilled out song but at the same time, kind of dark in parts. It's definitely different from the rest of the album, IMO. It's a great song. I can see it being a huge fan favorite as the years go by.

13. I.O.U. - This is some gangster shit and I love it. Well, it's gangster for Mike, at least. I love the beat. I love Mike's verses. The chorus is also epic, if you can call it a chorus or whatever. His verses are truly awesome. Some of the lyrics are kind of corny but he makes it work. Most of the lyrics aren't corny, though, only a few lines are IMO, but it sounds awesome, so fuck it. One of the cooler songs on the album. It sounds like maybe it could fit with Fort Minor stuff back in 2005 and shit.

14. Running From My Shadow - A pretty big single and definitely a fan favorite. It's a great song. It's not in my top 3, but it might be top 4. Mike sounds badass and the chorus is by far my favorite part of the song. Sounds dope. I love when Mike sings the ''oh-oh-oh-ohhh'' part. Grandson's feature isn't that awesome but it's still good, I like it more than Blackbear's feature, actually. The ending of the song is awesome as hell.

15. World's On Fire - A very chilled out song. Kind of like Lift Off being chilled out, I guess. This song does have the sound of the album though, strangely, IMO. It's just a chill out song. Some pretty personal lyrics from Mike I guess, but I guess the whole album has that. Seems like he is talking about his family or his wife, needing them to help him through all the darkness and chaos of his everyday life of the past year. It's not a favorite for me but I like listening to it. It might grow on me more as times goes on. It's a good song.

16. Can't Hear You Now - This is my favorite song off of the entire album, it beats Over Again for me. God damn I love this song. Someone said before the album dropped that it sounded like Until It Breaks....wtf? Doesn't sound anything like it, IMO. There are many songs that I would say it sounded like over Until It Breaks. I love the lyrics so much here. The melody is fucking amazing to me, that's what gripped me immediately. I love Mike's pre-chorus and chorus. Overall this song is A+++++++. One of my favorites from any album that Mike has ever associated with. Damn. It's a super emotional song IMO. I feel like it's a song that directly talks to Chester in some parts where as the other songs more so talk about the situation and Mike dealing with his life for the past year. I just really love this song a lot.

Edited by Geki

Finally listened to the album today and wrote up my full review of it. You can read that here, but here's the little excerpt I want to share:

"With certain scenarios, perhaps a journey like this will never quite end. That doesn't mean one shouldn't try reaching it. Mike Shinoda releases his demons and looks ahead in Post Traumatic, his debut record that starts in a dark hole of impossibility that doesn't even know where the start is and ends on a hopeful path towards the light. There's nothing we can do to change the past, but we can take the past to make a better future. And Shinoda has shown us that even when the world around you may be falling apart, there's always going to be a reason to move forward, even if your journey has no end."

Finally listened to the album today and wrote up my full review of it. You can read that here, but here's the little excerpt I want to share:

"With certain scenarios, perhaps a journey like this will never quite end. That doesn't mean one shouldn't try reaching it. Mike Shinoda releases his demons and looks ahead in Post Traumatic, his debut record that starts in a dark hole of impossibility that doesn't even know where the start is and ends on a hopeful path towards the light. There's nothing we can do to change the past, but we can take the past to make a better future. And Shinoda has shown us that even when the world around you may be falling apart, there's always going to be a reason to move forward, even if your journey has no end."

Good review, I enjoyed reading it.

Okay, so the picture of Mike and MGK made me think. It was shot in Berlin on an offday according to MGK and he claims to have wrote his verse there. When was Mike in Berlin with MGK?? Only thing I can think off was last year during the OML tour, right?

Also in the annotations for I.O.U. Mike makes it sound like the track was also complete before Chester passed. And if I recall correctly there was an interview with Mike from when CAL was released where he states that had been thinking of going solo before Chester passed. Add those facts with the cool Fort Minor shirts Mike wore during the OML tour and I think its safe to say that Mike was well on its way to making a new Fort Minor record. With Lift Off and I.O.U. as demos. Ofcourse everything changed after july 20.

But to me it seems that the foundations of PT were already laid more than a year ago as a potential Fort Minor album. I think thats more than logical coming from a guy that always writes. And I dont blame him, but for me it does take something away from Post Traumatic as an album about coping with the loss of a dear friend. Like, couldnt he have saved those tracks for later and instead release a 12 or 10 track record? I think I would have prefered that TBH.

I wanna state again that I dont blame Mike. And maybe my theory doesnt even add up.

But what are your thoughts?

Okay, so the picture of Mike and MGK made me think. It was shot in Berlin on an offday according to MGK and he claims to have wrote his verse there. When was Mike in Berlin with MGK?? Only thing I can think off was last year during the OML tour, right?

Also in the annotations for I.O.U. Mike makes it sound like the track was also complete before Chester passed. And if I recall correctly there was an interview with Mike from when CAL was released where he states that had been thinking of going solo before Chester passed. Add those facts with the cool Fort Minor shirts Mike wore during the OML tour and I think its safe to say that Mike was well on its way to making a new Fort Minor record. With Lift Off and I.O.U. as demos. Ofcourse everything changed after july 20.

But to me it seems that the foundations of PT were already laid more than a year ago as a potential Fort Minor album. I think thats more than logical coming from a guy that always writes. And I dont blame him, but for me it does take something away from Post Traumatic as an album about coping with the loss of a dear friend. Like, couldnt he have saved those tracks for later and instead release a 12 or 10 track record? I think I would have prefered that TBH.

I wanna state again that I dont blame Mike. And maybe my theory doesnt even add up.

But what are your thoughts?

As you already stated. Mike always writes and has ideas, but when LP was still in tact, he had a buisniss to run and shows to play around the world and probably didn't have the time to release a whole FM album. July 20th changed everything that's right, but I don't think that it takes too much aways from the album. If older demos work know better than ever than he should use them and not start from scratch. Make It Up As I Go was written during the OML session and he just revisited the song and fixed it in order to be linked with the overall topic of PT.

I can understand that certain things in his interviews may sound a bit 'harsh'. Him saying that it's so complicated writing an album with 5 other guys may sound weird and cast a por light on the procedure within LP. But it's so clear that you can only understand MIke's argument. He is always justifying this argument in order to not sound to harsh.

I agree about Fort Minor songs. He admitted last fall that he had already talked to Linkin Park about him releasing more music under the name Fort Minor soon and they gave the "ok" for it. So yeah, that's a great hypothesis about Lift Off. There is no doubt some of the 2017 planned Fort Minor music (whether it was coming out in 2018 or later) was used for this album. Also, MGK might even be wrong because Mike was in the studio with him just after the Hollywood Bowl show and we even posted about that here. Mike's verse is for sure after Hollywood Bowl era, but MGK's could be from the Berlin 2017 meeting yeah.

The album is incredible. One thing that must be stated over and over again is how good Mike's production is. Put this album in your car and drive around, I did it for hours yesterday. The beats are massive, the drops are huge, the instrumentals really explode. He is a fantastic producer and the fact he put this together in 8~ months is astounding.

I will do a track by track review soon. I am very impressed and I haven't liked an upon upon first listen like this since.... Minutes to Midnight. Mike did a phenomenal job. I'm even shocked how good it is, like... damn.