Chester Tribute Show, Guests, & More

hahninator

Hopefully today will give the band the push they need to carry on and make a new album and tour, etc. They can do it as a 5 piece.

You and I know that LP won't survive without playing their singles and Mike can't sing them... yeah they can make a new album and play bsides, HARDCORE fan favorites and people like us will have a blast but we are a minority. People would get mad if they don't hear Faint, One Step Closer, Bleed It Out, Crawling, etc.

Accept it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and I know that LP won't survive without playing their singles and Mike can't sing them... yeah they can make a new album and play bsides, HARDCORE fan favorites and people like us will have a blast but we are a minority. People would get mad if they don't hear Faint, One Step Closer, Bleed It Out, Crawling, etc.

Accept it.

Mike can sing a lot of them and if they make a new album, in time, they'll make another album, etc. They could make an entire set of those albums. Think of it as a rebirth for the band. They're starting over. They don't need to only live off of the success of the past albums. Nobody in the world can sound anything like Chester or be like Chester, so your argument is invalid by saying Mike can't. Nobody can. If people got mad because the band didn't play all of those old songs, they're probably really asshole people. There was a huge devastating loss in the world of the band, so things will obviously be different. Do you want the band to end? What do you mean accept it?

If the only way the band is going to play old songs is by hiring a new vocalist to officially join the band then I would prefer them to not even play them at all. It would just break my damn heart all over again...and again until I won't be able to watch them live anymore. Hopefully they can maybe have different guests for shows or something and not resort to having to actually have a new member to kinda fill that hole cause it'll never be filled.

Mike can sing a lot of them and if they make a new album, in time, they'll make another album, etc. They could make an entire set of those albums. Think of it as a rebirth for the band. They're starting over. They don't need to only live off of the success of the past albums. Nobody in the world can sound anything like Chester or be like Chester, so your argument is invalid by saying Mike can't. Nobody can. If people got mad because the band didn't play all of those old songs, they're probably really asshole people. There was a huge devastating loss in the world of the band, so things will obviously be different. Do you want the band to end? What do you mean accept it?

Accept that the band NEEDS a singer with a powerful voice who can sing their hits if someone else join the band people must not compare him to Chester that would be stupid let the guy make his own history with the band it will be a new chapter.

Tons of Oli haters... the dude is a beast he can perform any LP song

APFMH would be great for him.

This. I'll admit, Oli was pretty meh at singing when they first started touring for That's The Spirit, and even the melodic stuff for Sempiternal, but he's gotten way better since then.

If Oli can perform something like Doomed or Drown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGc9W-_C9u0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobbPE8_Npc

then he can definitely handle something from most of LP's discography.

Edited by Broman

This. I'll admit, Oli was pretty meh at singing when they first started touring for That's The Spirit, and even the melodic stuff for Sempiternal, but he's gotten way better since then.

If Oli can perform something like Doomed or Drown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGc9W-_C9u0

then he can definitely handle something from most of LP's discography.

He can handle it with backing tracks.. I saw them last year and it was full of it. I mean LP used it on TTM and maybe Heavy but thats it. Edited by LinkInThePark

Serj said he's in Russia or something and is trying to make it but can't guarantee it yet.

Agreed. Mike can sing just enough of the older songs in the catalogue (that he sings on, or even something like Final Masquerade acoustic) + new songs to form a new setlist live, and then they are set. ITE doesn't need a chorus singer as the crowd can do it. Strip down something like Numb and/or another big single and then it's game on.

He can handle it with backing tracks.. I saw them last year and it was full of it. I mean LP used it on TTM and maybe Heavy but thats it.

LP has been using backing tracks for vocal parts (although primarily for harmonies and gang vocal parts) on a LOT of songs since ATS.

Accept it.

Except for the fact that In The End is already covered with the crowd doing the chorus and bridge, stuff like Numb or Crawling could be done by Mike if they were stripped down, Mike's creative enough to make Faint and Bleed It Out work etc. They don't need a new singer to continue.

Completely agree. You are the man, Geki.

The problem with Oli becoming lead singer is the fact he's already the leader of another big band - not to the degree of Linkin Park, of course, but BMTH has a pretty big following. BMTH is his band, so he'd prioritize that of course. LP is Mike's band. There's a lot of scheduling conflicts there - would LP end up becoming like STP was for Chester? One tour a year when BMTH isn't busy? Will we have to wait for BMTH to be between albums for an LP Tour?

Mike can do just fine on his own. Thinking the band will fail because they won't play One Step Closer is ridiculous. Sure, that song's probably out, but most of LP's other songs have roles Mike can use to make something out of. This man mashed up Fallout and Roads Untraveled and it was beautiful. He can do anything.

Serj said he's in Russia or something and is trying to make it but can't guarantee it yet.

Agreed. Mike can sing just enough of the older songs in the catalogue (that he sings on, or even something like Final Masquerade acoustic) + new songs to form a new setlist live, and then they are set. ITE doesn't need a chorus singer as the crowd can do it. Strip down something like Numb and/or another big single and then it's game on.

Yeah. A lot of the old singles don't even need someone to sing the chorus - the fans will for sure cover that duty every night. Think about how loud the crowd has sang stuff like In The End, Numb, Crawling, etc. The band no longer played stuff like Given Up anyways. The crowd can sing the stuff still with Faint, etc. Mike has improved very much since he first started singing with MTM. He is good now. He can handle a lot more than what some fans give him credit for. Trust me, I am a huge fan of Chester, but he's gone.... The only person that I think is worthy to carry the torch is Mike. Anyone who doubts Mike, listen to stuff like Invisible, Sorry For Now, Devil's Drop, It Goes Through, Rebellion, etc. Listen to how Mike sang Final Masquerade. He sang LOATR perfectly in 2017 with that intro. He can do it all. And the band can make new music that will obviously fit Mike since he will be the only singer. I don't see why they need to bring in some entirely new vocalist. They already have 7 main albums under their belt. Tons of other projects. Have been touring the world since 2000. Have won Grammy's and many other awards. The band doesn't need to try and rebuild the band to cater to the people who want to hear the heavy songs of the old days. Hahninator, me and tons of other fans would love to see the band play a proper show again, and I'd be fine with the set not having heavy songs with screaming. The 2017 sets barely did as it was! I don't see how my point is wrong, JZE.

The problem with Oli becoming lead singer is the fact he's already the leader of another big band - not to the degree of Linkin Park, of course, but BMTH has a pretty big following. BMTH is his band, so he'd prioritize that of course. LP is Mike's band. There's a lot of scheduling conflicts there - would LP end up becoming like STP was for Chester? One tour a year when BMTH isn't busy? Will we have to wait for BMTH to be between albums for an LP Tour?

Mike can do just fine on his own. Thinking the band will fail because they won't play One Step Closer is ridiculous. Sure, that song's probably out, but most of LP's other songs have roles Mike can use to make something out of. This man mashed up Fallout and Roads Untraveled and it was beautiful. He can do anything.

Exactly. Would the band even be worrying about that the most anyways? I would imagine their primary goal would be to keep creating new music in the studio, and with only having one vocalist now, it will for sure be different. I think the band will have tons of fun creating once they feel comfortable. The tour stuff would most likely come after the band making music again, and they have PLENTY of huge singles that don't require crazy screaming, etc. Hell, their biggest singles, In The End and Numb, don't. The crowd could 100% sing those, as well as Mike. Look at the set that was used in 2017. They got rid of Given Up, etc. The ''screaming'' parts were only for short periods in a few songs, the crowd can handle that shit. I've literally seen bands play that let the crowd sing more than the actual singer does. And people enjoy it. I'm sure people attending a show would understand that Chester tragically died and that the show will be a little bit different. I mean really. Mike is a master of improv. And he mashs stuff up together and makes it sound epic, like you said. He also is better than a lot of fans give him credit for, which I can't say enough. He has improved since he first started singing in 2007. He is so much better nowadays, and surely, he will be working on getting even better now. Linkin Park was Mike's band. He is the founder of the band, he always was. Chester has said it many times, as well as the other members. Linkin Park is and always was, Mike's baby. And I feel like the person who should carry the torch for Chester is Mike. I'm not sure why some people are against a 5 piece LP. They have made tracks without Chester that sound awesome. Not saying Chester wasn't my favorite part of the band, but they still sounded great nowadays without him. I think people think it will sound like Xero or some shit. I picture something more along the lines of It Goes Through, which is an epic song.

I'm pretty sure that, even as a 5-piece, Mike will find a way to work in at the very least elements of all of the songs that he can't handle singing. Maybe mashups, maybe a medley where the crowd sings the parts that only Chester could have handled, etc.

For example, imagine this: The band finds a way to work in the chorus of OSC somewhere (knowing Mike it would be as creative as it is awesome). The lights shine on the crowd as they sing Chester's lines, and Mike does his own lines. Even small things like that would suffice I think, and would be a way to honor Chester's legacy and what he meant to the band. Moments like that could be worked in at various points during any given set that the band will perform in the future.

Then again, I could be 100% wrong and they might do something completely different. A couple things that I know I'm not wrong about though? Linkin Park will still be Linkin Park, but continuing without Chester is obviously the end of an era. A sort of rebirth of the band is needed, but we all know that they will always find a way to honor Chester's memory as best they can moving forward.

Edited by Justin

Wow it's very interesting that i'm the only who that thinks that the band needs another vocalist, can't wait for next year! it's gonna be a very very very very very interesting moment for the band.

If someone joins the band there will be a fucking shit storm from you guys.

Still don't get me wrong, i'll support the band 500% if they are a 5 piece band to my eyes it would be way way way more interesting to see the band live i'm just thinking from the side that the band seems to love: CASUAL FANS! (see their latest setlist, all singles)

IN RED SONGS THAT CAN'T BE PEFORMED BY MIKE ON HIS OWN

Setlist: Notes:
01. Fallout w/ 'Roads Untraveled' Vox
02. Talking To Myself
03. Burn It Down
04. The Catalyst Shortened (No Third Chorus/Breakdown)
05. Wastelands w/ 'War' Outro Sample
06. One Step Closer 2017 Intro; Ext. Outro
07. Castle Of Glass Experience Version; 2017 Ending w/ 'Petrified' v1
08. Good Goodbye Ext. Sing-a-long Intro; Live Version
09. Lost In The Echo Shortened (No First Chorus or Second Verse)
10. Battle Symphony
11. New Divide
12. From The Inside

13. Invisible Ext. Intro
14. Waiting For The End 'Remember The Name' Intro; Wall of Noise Outro
15. Breaking The Habit Acapella Outro
16. One More Light Ext. Intro
17. Crawling Piano Version; Shortened (No First Chorus or Outro)
18. Leave Out All The Rest 2017 Version
19. Somewhere I Belong
20. What I've Done 2017 Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge

21. In The End Pause Version
22. Faint Ext. Outro
----------------------------------------------------
23. Sharp Edges Stripped Down (Brad, Chester, & Rob); Ext. Intro
24. Numb 'Numb/Encore' Intro/Outro
25. Heavy Ext. Intro
26. Papercut

27. Bleed It Out Ext. Sing-a-Long Bridge; Ext. Ending

the band needs them to keep things rolling $... casual fans just don't give a shit about Dedicated, High Voltage, Until it Breaks etc... that's why it is a problem to not have a vocalist that can make justice to Chester's parts.

I think the band can carry on as a 5 piece, but mainly asa studio band, i d be super fine with that, but the live shows... well, Mike can handle a lot of songs but Geki pointed out correctly that they can't play some of their big songs like BID, OSC, Numb, WID, Battle Symphony, NCSM... Mike is AWESOME as a singer and a rapper but don t pretend he can sing a lot of Chester s parts because he just can't. We will see, i ll support any decision they make bcause i love them. We need them and they need us

No one's saying they can play the full songs, but there's 0 doubt in my mind Mike could find a way to peform most of somgs like Faint, SIB, LITE, Wastelands, ND, WID, BS, TTM... essentially every song you listed besides OSC and FTI can probably be done in some way by Mike and the rest of the guys backing him, + backing tracks to help.

The band has drastically changed up their sound beginning with ATS. A lot of the songs from ATS through OML, Mike can handle, trust me. The most challenging songs vocally would be some of the songs from HT, Meteora and MTM. But Mike could just make most of the set songs from ATS-OML, along with the big big singles from the first three albums, and create a new album, etc. The set could EASILY work, IMO. Stuff like Given Up, yeah, I can't see that coming back, but why would it? Think realistically!

I did a full list of the songs Mike could do in some form a while back. Don't remember where, but the gist was something like this

Papercut

Points Of Authority

Crawling(?)

In The End

A Place For My Head (verses)

High Voltage

Somewhere I Belong

Lying From You

Faint

Breaking The Habit

Numb

Leave Out All The Rest

Shadow of The Day

What I've Done

Hands Held High

In Between

The Little Things Give You Away

New Divide

Requiem/Radiance

Burning In The Skies

Empty Spaces/When They Come For Me

Jornada Del Muerto

Waiting For The End (that WFTE/HHH mashup would be dope)

Wretches And Kings (verses)

Wisdom, Justice, And Love/Iridescent

The Catalyst

Lost In The Echo (Verses)

In My Remains

Burn It Down

Lies Greed Misery (Verses)

Castle Of Glass

Roads Untraveled

Skin To Bone

Until It Breaks

Wastelands (Verses)

Rebellion

Mark The Graves (just change the chorus)

and pretty much everything from OML seems like something Mike could probably do. There is way more than enough stuff that Mike could make work to keep the band a 5 piece.

I did a full list of the songs Mike could do in some form a while back. Don't remember where, but the gist was something like this

Papercut

Points Of Authority

Crawling(?)

In The End

A Place For My Head (verses)

High Voltage

Somewhere I Belong

Lying From You

Faint

Breaking The Habit

Numb

Leave Out All The Rest

Shadow of The Day

What I've Done

Hands Held High

In Between

The Little Things Give You Away

New Divide

Requiem/Radiance

Burning In The Skies

Empty Spaces/When They Come For Me

Jornada Del Muerto

Waiting For The End (that WFTE/HHH mashup would be dope)

Wretches And Kings (verses)

Wisdom, Justice, And Love/Iridescent

The Catalyst

Lost In The Echo (Verses)

In My Remains

Burn It Down

Lies Greed Misery (Verses)

Castle Of Glass

Roads Untraveled

Skin To Bone

Until It Breaks

Wastelands (Verses)

Rebellion

Mark The Graves (just change the chorus)

and pretty much everything from OML seems like something Mike could probably do. There is way more than enough stuff that Mike could make work to keep the band a 5 piece.

I agree with most of that. The only ones that I could see that Mike may struggle with are Crawling, What I've Done and possibly New Divide, the choruses during those are kind of challenging, but he could always just have the crowd sing those since they are anthems anyways. Hell, just drop New Divide, I've wanted that song dropped since like 2010. One of the few songs by LP that I literally hate. But that's a huge list of songs there. They could easily make a set out of it.

Edited by Geki

In this inverview M.Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold talks about Chester and the Tribute show. Probably they [shadows and Synyster] were first asked about playing One Step Closer and then Mike changed it 'cause Jonathan Davies will sing that song...

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/m-shadows-bennington-benefit-show-intimidating-covers-whats-missing-music

I wonder if they'll perform an ''all singles'' setlist w some stuff from OML

Would be cool to see something like War or No More Sorrow with A7X.

They probably won't play obscure tracks like that. It will probably be mostly singles that are performed, IMO. I could see A7X on GATS, that would be epic, and Mike could rap Rakim's verse, etc. Jonathan Davis is basically confirmed to be doing OSC. Kiiara will most definitely do Heavy. Ryan Key possibly WID. MGK possibly BIO. I think it will be a majority of singles. Someone might do Crawling.