The Hunting Party Leak + iTunes Stream

hahninator

Alright, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be perpetually in the minority here, but I just cannot get into A Line in the Sand. Random heavy section with a bad transition, literally the Victimized riff with a part of GATS at the end, an unimpressive false ending...

Mike's vocals are great, and the verse he drops in the middle of the song is top-notch, but that's really all I like about the song. The actual ending is pretty great, too.

I keep trying to put together a comprehensive review of this album, but I can't muster the energy or effort to do it. This is just a really solid album all around, that's all there is to it.

Thank you!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geki just curious, according to your signature if THP has overtaken MTM as your favourite album why has MTM dropped all the way to 4th favourite?

I think his signature is just a clever way to say "Linkin Park is always getting better." Notice how they are listed in reverse chronological order.

I think his signature is just a clever way to say "Linkin Park is always getting better." Notice how they are listed in reverse chronological order.

You would be correct in saying that. I noticed that recently; IMO, every time LP releases an album, they just keep getting better. I kind of grew out of the whole ''obsessed with MTM'' thing in recent months. It's a good album, but they definitely have released better material since.

The Hunting Party Deluxe Edition CD/DVD from Best Buy with the Mexico DVD will be available for purchase at Best Buy on June 17th here in the US, right? I hope it wasn't only if you pre-ordered it.

I think i'm the one who isn't that pleased with the album...

Too bad that the band didn't receive your tips.

Thank you :) I have to work until late, so yeah it's pretty sad I wake up a little earlier to have some good music to get me through the day

I don't know what I was thinking, sorry.

It's one of their best albums, not sure if it is in the third or second place of my list, HT forever.

Edited by LIИKIИ JŽЁ

I'm really satisfied with the new album. I've listened to it many times and I like it more and more. So far, there's no any song that I dislike, unlike the Living Things two years ago at this time. I hope this band will keep this heavier style in future, but this is LP, so you never know. :)

Edited by sasa95

Received my copy of THP today. I've listened to the whole CD two times now.

Best song is Rebellion imo. All for nothing and Wastelands are pretty good too.

Mark the Graves probably is the song I like the least so far.

I have to listen to it a lot more to form a reasonable opinion. But one thing I can say for sure is that it left a better impression on me than LT did on the first listen.

Edited by wiiesel

I think i'm the one who isn't that pleased with the album...

You're not alone, there's at least two of us lol. I love "Until It's Gone" & "Guilty All The Same", but the rest of the album doesn't do anything for me after a half dozen listens. I'm sure it'll grow on me over time, but for now, I'm bored to tears with "The Hunting Party".

My first response was a confused one. Didn't know what I had to think about it. But at a couple of listens, it takes its place in a better way. Because of the guitar riffs, to me it didn't sound at those moments as a Linkin Park album until the vocals came in. Maybe that is the reason I'm not liking Rebellion. War is also a song that doesn't hit me right, while I do am someone who appreciates both the hard and the experimental Linkin Park. I just need to listen it a couple of times more. I the I am not going to compare the album because each of the album is its own.

Well, so I've had my fair share of listens right now and I guess it's time to review it a bit.

I'm overall pleased and had some moments with a nice smile on my face ("War", the count-in on "Mark The Graves"). I really enjoy most of the album but one thing really bothers me. Why did they re-use older songs or even parts from the same album? That was something they got bashed for on Meteora.

I spotted several parts, some of them even hugely bothering to me.

1. ALITS - the intro reminds me of "Fallout", but just a bit, so that's not too worrying. But why the hell did they almost copy "VICTIMIZED" when the drums kick in? It's basically the same structure and pattern (even when the guitar kicks in). Plus, the main riff resembles GATS quite a lot. These three things were apparent on my first listen. Especially the "VICTIMIZED" rework is a real downer for me. Even a friend of mine pointed it out (and she is not too familiar with everything LP related).

2. "Mark The Graves" marks an use of "Blackouts" second half. I still can't believe that no one inside the band pointed it out. Both, "Blackout" and "VICTIMIZED" are songs which got played live.

3. "Wastelands" chorus vocals are pretty similar to GATS', too. But that's just a minor problem for me because the riffing is not similar.

A quick review:

Keys To The Kingdom: 8/10 - The vocal effect at the beginning feels unnecessary to me. The song is straight forward, even though the main riff feels really uninspired. What makes this song so special is its outro. That's new LP territory here and something which I know and love Thrice for, but not LP until that point. Still gets me everytime. Cool solo at the end.

All For Nothing: 7/10 - Solid song with great rapping and an addicting hook. Enjoying Mike a whole lot here. The talking at the end is a fucking sweet transition.

Guilty All The Same: 9/10 - I tried not to listen to that one too often before the album because I was afraid of overplaying. What can I say, it's the best song on the album. It is energetic, has a great breakdown, sweet verse from Rakim… It pushes me everytime I listen to it. Plus, it has the biggest Thrice influence which I highly enjoy.

The Summoning: 5/10 - Nice build up interlude. Sets the mood for what's about to come.

War: 8/10 - This song is so great for many reasons. It is straight forward punkrock but feels fresh and might be a new live hit. Chester fits in perfectly and it is highly enjoyable to listen to it. Length feels perfect. Again, really cool solo.

Wastelands: 7/10 - The pacing on this album is well set and it begins to show on this track. Fucking grooving riff, solid rapping… the chorus is alright and provides some sweet energy. Grew on me from it's first listen.

Until It's Gone: 7/10 - That would've been an 8 for me as it grew the most from its initial listen. It fits so perfectly on that position and still feels energetic in a way which unfolds in the album context. I have to cut it one point short though, because even though it has some nice spots lyrically, it's really lazy overall with it's main phrase getting repeated all the way through (which is not even a special one). The songwriting is pretty cool, though.

Rebellion: 8/10 - Could be a great live track. Love the dual vocals, the riffing is alright and the lyrics are one of the best of the album. It sets the pace again very nicely after UIG.

Mark The Graves: 6/10 - It starts off as a banger but loses itself in weird arrangements and not too interesting parts. The chorus doesn't do for me. Still it contains one of my favorite parts of the album when Mike counts in the heavy riff. It gives the album a great jam-feel and feels raw, something that I give them credit for on this album. Still, the progressive nature of the song give it a legitimation to be there.

Drawbar: 4/10 - I can't believe how bad LP are at jamming. For a band which exists for so long it ashames me a bit to imagine poor Tom Morello stepping in and trying to do something creative and all that he can do is repeating the same melody over and over again, hoping, that the rest of them come up with something. At least it feels like this to me. His part is ok but I could've done without the piano outro which feels like a seperate track. I listen to a lot of post-rock and Drawbar is cringy worthy, as it kind of steps into this territory.

Final Masquerade: 6/10 - Nice power ballad which grew on me, but still doesn't touch me emotionally. It's an ok transition to the furious ending of the album.

A Line In The Sand: 8/10 - It would've been the best track on this album if it wasn't for all the recycling (see above). It is everything I hoped for, when I read about "The Little Things Give You Away" back in 2007. It was this first long track ever for them and described as an epic build up. Having their sound from that era (HT and Meteora) in mind, I hoped for something like ALITS. It's still one of my favourite songs by them, but that's another topic. ALITS combines sweet vocal melodies from Mike with a raw and energetic Chester. The riffing is amazing, the solo is great and it is a really fitting closer for that album. Pretty Epic.

Total Score: 7/10

Ranking: HT > THP = Minutes To Midnight > Meteora > A Thousand Suns > Living Things

Well, so I've had my fair share of listens right now and I guess it's time to review it a bit.

I'm overall pleased and had some moments with a nice smile on my face ("War", the count-in on "Mark The Graves"). I really enjoy most of the album but one thing really bothers me. Why did they re-use older songs or even parts from the same album? That was something they got bashed for on Meteora.

I spotted several parts, some of them even hugely bothering to me.

1. ALITS - the intro reminds me of "Fallout", but just a bit, so that's not too worrying. But why the hell did they almost copy "VICTIMIZED" when the drums kick in? It's basically the same structure and pattern (even when the guitar kicks in). Plus, the main riff resembles GATS quite a lot. These three things were apparent on my first listen. Especially the "VICTIMIZED" rework is a real downer for me. Even a friend of mine pointed it out (and she is not too familiar with everything LP related).

I'm still positive that the band did the whole GATS "tribute" intentionally. Just like a lot of other bands, especially on concept albums. There's nothing wrong with it IMO

As Colony said, I felt it as more of a tribute. It's almost similar to ATS (i.e. Fallout, The Requiem)