5 Song Reviews by Rolling Stone & Loudwire

lpplus

Look at high voltage lyrics, reading my eyes and compare that to what i've done, in the end, numb, burn it down.... they are highly capable to write deep lyrics... but it seems like they care a lot about getting radio play so they must shape their sound around that. I would really like to see what LP would do when not caring about getting on the radio or having to sound too simple/mainstream

I would love Mike to go technical again. Lately his flows been too simpel, compared to their early material.

If Rob steps up his drumming, than the lyrical department could use a serious step up aswell

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love Mike to go technical again. Lately his flows been too simpel, compared to their early material.

If Rob steps up his drumming, than the lyrical department could use a serious step up aswell

I hope there's a verse or so on the new album with the flow from Mike's verse in Foot Patrol (the one that starts the demo out, not the one from UIB). It was insane. That and the verses from Asbestos are so addictive to listen to.

Look at high voltage lyrics, reading my eyes and compare that to what i've done, in the end, numb, burn it down.... they are highly capable to write deep lyrics... but it seems like they care a lot about getting radio play so they must shape their sound around that. I would really like to see what LP would do when not caring about getting on the radio or having to sound too simple/mainstream

This is exactly how I've felt about his rapping lately. Lost In The Echo is a great example. Mike used to throw down on shit like Carousel and Reading My Eyes. High Voltage too. Burn It Down's bridge is really dumbed down...it seems to dumb it down to get the simple shit on the album for the radio. Why doesn't he toss on the nasty underground raps he used to have? Until It Breaks, I will admit, did have some good verses but the song is so all over the place it's easily my least favorite studio song they've done :(

Well Mike has some great verses

Don't forget about W&K (original and remix) his Recharged verses were also really good.

The STB verse is one of the best verses he's ever done in my opinion.

Take off the rose-colored glasses for 5 seconds, people. It's not hard.

Ha! Maybe that's one of the songs they were talking about that inspired them as teenagers. :P

I love Mike's verses in LITE. My favorite part is when he does the Second To None reference in verse 1. A lot of casual LP fans and stuff wouldn't recognize that. I also love his verses in WTCFM when he references POA and shit. Casual fans wouldn't know that either.

His rap in BID is great. His verses in LGM are probably the worst verses he has ever done, even though I like the song. His rap in Victimized is pretty good, IMO. His verses in UIB are actually awesome. He didn't rap much on ATS, but he did a good job on WTCFM, Wretches and WFTE, IMO. He didn't rap much on MTM, either, only 2 tracks. HHH verses are incredible and probably my favorite verses he has ever done, but mostly for the message the song is putting out there. BIO had some cool verses.

All of his raps from FM are very good. His raps on Hybrid Theory and Meteora were decent, but they were kind of corny and laughable at times, as much of the lyrics from those albums are.

Edited by Geki

Generally I love LP lyrics, some seems to be easy, but actually they aren't. LP let you find your own answer to what song is about. I found that many of their lyrics have multiple meanings. Shadow Of The Day seems to have easy lyrics, yes, there aren't anything complicated, but you can interpret the text in many different ways. LP lyrics give a emotion, not a clear story. Of course I'm talking about some songs not all. Burn It Down have one of the worst lyrics ever written by LP, IMO.

When it comes to Mike's rap, I think their oldest tracks are the best. Reading My Eyes, man, that's amazing, probably the fastest rap ever rapped by Mike. Part Of Me, that one contains very aggressive rap, love it. Another examples of awesome rap from LP's old stuff is, High Voltage, Dedicated, In The End demo and others. POA is pretty simple, but I really like it, it's so catchy, Papercut is amazing, but not that simple. Meteora and HT do not contain specially great rap, rap from those albums is pretty good, but not especially good. MTM contains very little rap, HHH rap is at the same level as Meteora and HT, but the lyrics of it are amazing. Bleed It Out is normal/good, but catchy. I do like rap from ATS, especially WFTE, W&K, WTCFM. WFTE contain pretty different rap from this that Mike did in other songs. LT contain pretty good rap too, UIB, LITE and Victimized. Mike's stuff from FM is pretty good, I think Remember The Name isn't that good. I really like Petrified, the rap is pretty different from his usual.

This is exactly how I've felt about his rapping lately. Lost In The Echo is a great example. Mike used to throw down on shit like Carousel and Reading My Eyes. High Voltage too. Burn It Down's bridge is really dumbed down...it seems to dumb it down to get the simple shit on the album for the radio. Why doesn't he toss on the nasty underground raps he used to have? Until It Breaks, I will admit, did have some good verses but the song is so all over the place it's easily my least favorite studio song they've done :(

Well said man. It's a bit disappointing.

The thing with lyrics is that its all subjective. I don't think LP has ever released a song in which the lyrics didn't flow and sounded uncomfortable in the song. The problems that most people have with the early stuff is that a lot of the lyrical content is too "poor me". Which to some degree, I can agree with, but for some people that is exactly what they want to hear in a song. So as long as its presented well, then its not an issue to them.

Personally, I think their lyrics have gotten even stronger as their albums have progressed. Songs like BITS, RB, WFTE, LITE, COG, and RU have contained some of their best lyrical content to date.

I am worried about what the new album holds in store lyric wise because GATS was kind of lacking.

I feel like lyrics get better when there is a concept for the entire album. A Thousand Suns had a nuclear war/destruction concept and many of the lyrics in the songs were pretty good. Mike has said in previous interviews that there are a few concepts in The Hunting Party, so maybe that's a good sign with my logic.

He has to now! Now that Rakim raised the bar. I hope the emcee in him, gets inspired to delivery nothing but flames over and over again!

Even though it's going to be a rock record with few rap verses, i just hope those verses are something we might put in that "Reading My Eyes", "Papercut" etc catagory.

Haven't read all comments on this thread so sorry if this has been said, but...

anyone else think "until it's gone" sounds reaaaallllyyyy generic? Like really generic? I had to LP didn't already have a song with that name, but of course there is "I'll be gone" - close enough, and not in a good way.

I mean, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" - can that be any more cliched?

Don't want to sound negative, the album from what's been revealed sounds like it's going to be incredible but... Meh.

Haven't read all comments on this thread so sorry if this has been said, but...

anyone else think "until it's gone" sounds reaaaallllyyyy generic? Like really generic? I had to LP didn't already have a song with that name, but of course there is "I'll be gone" - close enough, and not in a good way.

I mean, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" - can that be any more cliched?

Don't want to sound negative, the album from what's been revealed sounds like it's going to be incredible but... Meh.

It is a generic phrase used, yes.

Edited by Geki

Basically, the LP fanbase just wants Hybrid Theory. Still. 14 years after it was released and after 3 studio albums later from evolving past it.

I don't think so. Actually I think the LP fanbase misses the mix of aggressive vocals/rap with the melodic of benningtons voice. The past records were just straight in one direction. MTM was more instrumentally, less electronic, ATS was an eletronic rock based album and comes up with a concept idea. Living things was kind of a mix of all albums.

Everything is fine, I like all records by LP, but I had that feeling after LT they only work with computers, they are not playing anything with instruments anymore.

MTM was album which suggested how the band can work with instruments and I am glad that they finally do it again. LP fans do not want HT again, I don't want it, but what I want is that they are blowing my mind with guitars and hard drums again. I bet the hunting party is that mind blowing.

I don't think so. Actually I think the LP fanbase misses the mix of aggressive vocals/rap with the melodic of benningtons voice. The past records were just straight in one direction. MTM was more instrumentally, less electronic, ATS was an eletronic rock based album and comes up with a concept idea. Living things was kind of a mix of all albums.

Everything is fine, I like all records by LP, but I had that feeling after LT they only work with computers, they are not playing anything with instruments anymore.

MTM was album which suggested how the band can work with instruments and I am glad that they finally do it again. LP fans do not want HT again, I don't want it, but what I want is that they are blowing my mind with guitars and hard drums again. I bet the hunting party is that mind blowing.

I'd love for LP to go in a MTM direction again because MTM is my all time favorite work from LP, but I don't think that THP will sound anything like MTM. GATS doesn't. We will see when the album comes out. There might still be a lot of electronic stuff on this album, just buried in the mix more.

I'd love for LP to go in a MTM direction again because MTM is my all time favorite work from LP, but I don't think that THP will sound anything like MTM. GATS doesn't. We will see when the album comes out. There might still be a lot of electronic stuff on this album, just buried in the mix more.

I love how you take things the band has said and add "might" and "think" to it.

I love how you take things the band has said and add "might" and "think" to it.

I said I don't think it will sound like MTM. Where did the band say that it would or wouldn't? I know LP said there will be some electronic stuff, but the reviews indicate that they are appetizers and not the main course.

no one wants another HT, i sure don't. I want something that has some texture to it, some idk culture llike HT had *i guess thats the HT reference you think of*. Attitude. I want lyrics make the listener think and make them listen to the song over and over again. LT/Recharged was Disney commercial bs.

Edited by FaiNt