DSPs: Have They Stopped?

hahninator

I agree with Mark. If bands can add the option to purchase either a physical or download copy of their latest album with a concert ticket purchase (most recent example being Thirty Seconds To Mars' Australian shows), then why can't they add an option to sell the DSP via that method? Most people I know would shell out an extra $10 knowing that they can have that show in a professionally mixed capacity for eternity... if they knew it existed!

I'm fuming we don't have DSPs of the Australian shows from earlier this year. I've been to 18 LP shows now and have purchased the DSPs for all of them, with the exception of those recent 7 that are not available online. The fact that they were recorded but not yet released bugs me to no end!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the flip-side to including the DSPs on ticketmaster would be that ticketmaster would probably get a cut of the profits. If management already feels that the product isn't making enough money, the idea of cutting someone else in probably doesn't sound right.

Yeah, the increased awareness would mean more people pay, but after ticketmaster takes their share, has it made enough of a difference?

I think the flip-side to including the DSPs on ticketmaster would be that ticketmaster would probably get a cut of the profits. If management already feels that the product isn't making enough money, the idea of cutting someone else in probably doesn't sound right.

Yeah, the increased awareness would mean more people pay, but after ticketmaster takes their share, has it made enough of a difference?

In all honesty, yes it probably would. Even if TicketMaster took a cut, let's say 25%, that would be $2.50 for each DSP. With all the extra people buying the DSPs, the benefits would far outweigh the small negative. They would probably gain a significant increase in DSP profits.

Edited by Castle of Glass

The resurrection of audience recordings?

:o

Won't happen due to:

a ) lack of interest by tapers since DSPs were released

b ) lack of interest by those trading since everyone with a cell phone claims to have video recorded and who wants audio when we have DSPs?

c ) the RT/NT bullshit of the last 5+ years

Include an option on Ticketmaster like all bands do for merch. When I buy Dave Matthews Band tickets for example, on the checkout page it says:

So then that's ticketmaster, the venue and basecamp who would want to be paid at least a handling fee for a DSP. It's a model that won't work from a profit standpoint - at a $10 price point, once they've paid Pooch to mix with how few they sell, they're operating at a loss. I can't blame them for pulling the plug.

For me the main reason for not buying DSP's is the sound of them since 2010. I have here shows where Mikes guitar parts aren't to hear. And some DSP's where Brad's guitar parts aren't to hear very well. I think if the sound (e.g the guitar sound) would be like 2008, they would getting more purchaser. I dont know, am i the only one who is scared about the sound? It's getting better with the Living Things tour, but 2008 was the best sound i thing.

Greetings from Germany

Konsti

Ps. sorry for my english, i'am not very well in it.

For me the main reason for not buying DSP's is the sound of them since 2010. I have here shows where Mikes guitar parts aren't to hear. And some DSP's where Brad's guitar parts aren't to hear very well. I think if the sound (e.g the guitar sound) would be like 2008, they would getting more purchaser.

yeah it's a known problem, but this it's definitely not the reason for the quantity of the purchases.

Now that they stopped they should at least make the 2008 European ones available :(

This! The only LP show I've had the chance to go to was in 2008 but I can't buy the DSP because of some technicalities.

I have bought some such as NYC with Jay Z or first performance of Blackout. For the most part, every DSP is the same. Same setlists with minor changes. I hate ITE & Crawling & OSC because I've heard them too much. I wish they were never played again.

I wanna hear new tracks, old tracks & LPU tracks. I know that'll never happen cause the band plays it too safe. It also bugs me that they write songs but can't/won't play them live for various reasons.

For me the main reason for not buying DSP's is the sound of them since 2010. I have here shows where Mikes guitar parts aren't to hear. And some DSP's where Brad's guitar parts aren't to hear very well. I think if the sound (e.g the guitar sound) would be like 2008, they would getting more purchaser. I dont know, am i the only one who is scared about the sound? It's getting better with the Living Things tour, but 2008 was the best sound i thing.

Greetings from Germany

Konsti

Ps. sorry for my english, i'am not very well in it.

More subdued guitar sound on certain songs was a request directly from the band starting with the ATS era, if I recall correctly.

To be honest, I never really liked the sound of DSPs. The drums and guitars sounded just awful. I always liked to check out the TV/radio recordings, because they very often sounded better than DSPs.

The answer I just got is that they were not selling well and the program has been stopped as of very early this year. I apologize for not realizing this sooner and checking it out months ago. Doesn't look good.....

That's what happens when you play the same songs again and again and again. And again.

Yes, it might not be the main issue, but it definitely made the product much less interesting. I remember when people here were all excited about DSPs and collected them like crazy. But I think that we all became really 'meh' about this whole thing recently, because it simply got extremely boring.

Wow, that's really too bad about the DSP's. I knew something was up when we never heard anything about the Vegas show and the Australia/New Zealand shows from earlier this year. It really sucks that we aren't getting a SSMF DSP because that was an EPIC show, the band was on fire. Would have been a great DSP, especially because it was such a nostalgic show for the band and all.

Anyways, seems like there is not much we can do about this situation. It's in the legal hands, even Mike and LP didn't know that they stopped selling them. The tweets from Pooch and Dylan don't seem too promising, either. I guess this is the end of DSP's. We did get some great stuff over the years.. I will admit, I usually only purchase the DSP's for shows that I attended. Out of the 15 LP shows that I have been to, 12 of them had DSP's, so that is 120 dollars.. I can honestly see why they would stop selling them, they don't make enough money off of it to support it all. Kind of strange that the website is still up, though, because they'd be paying for it knowing that they won't be releasing any more DSP's. Also, I wasn't a ''huge'' fan of the sound on the DSP's, I almost always preferred officially mixed live stuff (Ethan Mates mixes and stuff) more than DSP mixes, but they were still awesome to have, especially for shows that I go to.. Now it's back to YouTube rips, which SUCKS.

I guess this is back to the stone ages for us old LP fans who remember when DSP's didn't exist. I certainly remember downloading shows back in like 2002-2006 that I thought had AWESOME quality, which I now think the quality sucks.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/warn...i-peppers-tours

Look what the RHCP fans have done. They said they need 5,000 signatures. I wonder if they have contacted WBR and WBR said they'd do it with 5k signatures, or if they just set it at 5k. I'm going to ask them about it.

Petitions it's so 2003, today you just need 100 people to spam their Facebook page and they will give you whatever you want. :lol:

Anyway, if they contacted WBR before, and this is gonna work, we can get 5,000 people easily.

[...]I have bought some such as NYC with Jay Z or first performance of Blackout. For the most part, every DSP is the same. Same setlists with minor changes.[...]

This is the main reason that I didn't buy much DSP - they are the same. Some show have unique tracks, they changed the setlist with adding other songs, but only by some of them. I won't buy two or more shows which have exactly the same setlist, it would be weird. :( They would do better than record few show but they have different sets.

I doubt we'll be able to get the DSPs back, but I've been thinking that if $ is the problem, which it probably is, will they take down their DSP site?

Why? Even they're not doing a lot of money from the site, I'm sure that they're doing more than the site's cost.

I like the idea of a petition. The RHCP one was started by a single fansite and got 1,500 signatures in the first 24 hours. With the combined effort and strength in numbers of the LP fan sites I'd think the same (or better) success would result.

The DSP's are 75% of my interest in LP. It's always great to hear a new album or LPU release, but above all else I love listening to the DSP's to hear how Chester's voice was, what the crowd was like, etc. The setlist doesn't change as much but the shows are never the same note-for-note, so it keeps it interesting. Hope DSP's return one way or another.

Why? Even they're not doing a lot of money from the site, I'm sure that they're doing more than the site's cost.

For now, but I can pretty much guarantee you that almost 99% of that money comes from people that came from a show and want that DSP. Once they stop releasing the DSPs, the only people that will continue to buy them are collectors who don't have all of them, almost completely stopping any and all profits. I'm fairly sure that within a year, the profits made from past DSPs will not be enough to warrant keeping the download site up.

Funny thing is that when you see that 3 of the top 5 most sold DSPs have the same setlist, and what set them apart is the 'A Place For My Head' on show in Paris 25/10, the cover of 'No Woman No Cry' in the introduction of 'The Messenger' at the show in Tel Aviv 15/10, Berlin already has a setlist normal without any additions, but this here because it was the first DSP of the A Thousand Suns World Tour

How about we skip a petition and everybody buys a DSP? Or start a Kickstarter campaign with all the funds used to buy DSP's for LPL contests? Just a thought, since money is all LP/Warner/everyone cares about.

I lost my 2008 shows when I moved and just grabbed the NYC gig with Jay-Z. Never realized it was the same day as my son's birth :)