DSPs: Have They Stopped?

hahninator

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the single biggest thing that hurt the DSP sales was when they stopped advertising them AT THE SHOWS. Remember when they first launched in 2007 and promoted the hell out of them with the video screens? They literally SOLD OUT of them at some of those early shows (they were doing a limited number of them with the blank CD/redeem code method). People who buy things at a concert merch booth tend to do so after making a spur-of-the-moment decision. VERY few people who go to a concert have any idea what kind of merchandise is going to be available ahead of time. Likewise, very few people who go to a concert are going to bother to check if any of the same concert merchandise is available anywhere after the fact (how often do we end up seeing surplus tour merch show up at discounted prices on the LP.com web store months or even YEARS after the tour concludes? They still have some of the limited edition PR07 posters available for crying out loud!).

If you're selling something that pertains to a specific concert, then you need to promote it AT THAT CONCERT. Otherwise, you literally lose 95% or more of your potential customers. That's just common sense. Sure, there's a lot that can be said about other factors like LP's dwindling online community (we'd all be lying out of our asses if we didn't say LPL, LPA, LP.com, LPU, etc. are far less busy than they used to be), but the band is still playing to audiences as large as when they started the DSP project, so we can't solely (or even largely) blame this on the band's general decline in sales/fanbase/media attention/whatever.

Edited by Astat

Agree with Mark 110%.

In the same way, the older DPS shows are for us, the collectors, those 100 or 1000 or 10.000 fans all over the world. My Site have like 100 downloads per day the first 15 days of every month until day destroys my bandwidth on Box. Some people is interested in this stuff but as you say are a lower percentage of the fans.

Now i'm losing my hope about the older DSP's.

IMO this business model was based on people wanting to buy the one show they went to to save the memories, but now with less shows coming out they need to just bundle them together by year or by tour at a discounted price because getting everything at 10 usd is probably not something that sells well and even the hardcore fans are going to pirate it after a few purchases. Or just have a LIVE pass that lets you listen to them all.

FUCK! This sucks

I apologize for not realizing this sooner and checking it out months ago. Doesn't look good.....

You don't need to apologize. I don't think any of us thought anything of them not releasing Australian DSPs. It wouldn't be the first time.

EDIT: These last two days have been the most I've sworn on LPL I think.

Edited by Castle of Glass

The answer I just got is that they were not selling well and the program has been stopped as of very early this year. I apologize for not realizing this sooner and checking it out months ago. Doesn't look good.....

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't selling too well.

Once a handful of people pick them up, they get uploaded elsewhere (torrents, russian fansites.., dropbox's between friends) and everyone downloads them.

Unlike the early DSP shows where people were like "Shit, I've gotta rush to merch and grab a DSP CD before they sell out" - now its just "Meh, I'll download it online somewhere later"

From a business point of view, there is probably someone crunching the numbers and they've found its not worth the cost of paying Pooch and Dylan to mix DSP's, then the server costs, not to mention venues often fight for a cut of the profits too.

If and I mean IF WB does bring back DSP's, everyone needs to make sure that if you want a DSP, you actually buy it and not torrent it. WB don't care about fan interest, they just care about sales. Thats the only way we'll keep this alive.

(None of this is directed at you Mark, or anyone else lol, just talking in generalities. I know there are hardcore fans that buy all the DSP's)

EDIT: I figure I'll get in and say this before other people try to correct me. I know on various occasions the band have said they support the sharing of live material. I even remember a few threads where the band were ok with DSP sharing. But if I recall correctly, management tried to remove all evidence of those threads. Which shows that, whilst the band is ok with it, management aren't. They can't make any money if people are just sharing the shows, rather than buying them. And at the end of the day, although LP makes the music, WB owns it...

Bloody hell, I could be a WB rep.

Edited by shadowfax1007

The answer I just got is that they were not selling well and the program has been stopped as of very early this year. I apologize for not realizing this sooner and checking it out months ago. Doesn't look good.....

This is sucks...

@shadowfax1007

Unfortunately this scene will never change, there is no a considered number of hardcore fans which must buy them plus the russians/torrents website will never stop uploading them lol.

On my point the only solution would be a better investiment on the propagation.

:/

Edited by Felipeintheend

This is sucks...

@shadowfax1007

Unfortunately this scene will never change, there is no a considered number of hardcore fans which must buy them plus the russians/torrents website will never stop uploading them lol.

On my point the only solution would be a better investiment on the propagation.

:/

Unless people vote with their wallets though, in the long term, we won't see DSP's.

Sure, we might see them back soon if everyone keeps telling WB, the band etc, that they want them. But no business is going to operate something at a loss for very long.

With that said, WB could pull their heads out of their arses and promote the DSP's better, like Metallica or RHCP. It's a two way street. They can't just expect word of mouth from fans to work.

I sometimes think it would be better if they would include the DSP ja ja in the ticket price with the code and everything, but even already informing the ticket, I think is a good idea.

The bad thing about this is you just do not hear about any disclosure DSPs, my same friends, fans of the band, members of LPU, many confuse DSPs, many do not know exists

Anyway, just think it should be circulated in all social networks, many also before each show in which would have DSP, and also, already include the DSP in the ticket price

And also, I think it should be no more the ''usual place'' or continue sharing, that be about two or three months after the launch of such a DSP, because they do so, such a thing would make many lazy buy DSPs instead of simply waiting ...

Anyway, that's what I think

Edited by Hudson Shinoda

Include an option on Ticketmaster like all bands do for merch. When I buy Dave Matthews Band tickets for example, on the checkout page it says:

"Would you like to add any of the following?

- $35 summer tour t-shirt

- $15 tour water bottle

- $25 TWO tour water bottles (a savings of FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS!!!!11one"

etc"

With LP, they can say "Would you like to add a DSP (Digital Souvenir Package) of this show with your ticket purchase? The DSP comes with the full audio recording of the show (professionally mixed and mastered) as well as pictures from the performance, available within a week after the performance online. An email will alert you when your download is ready."

BANG THERE'S THE CASH MONEY.

And no I don't think we can successfully get audience recordings going again. Those died out so much when DSPs came along, especially in the USA. Europe could probably be alright with them but the USA and a lot of other places would be completely fucked.

There are lots of genius ideas in this thread. It's the stubbornness of LP's label WBR and the LP mgmt if they refuse to take advantage of the DSPs and earn money on them.

The band obviously has no idea this has even happened (the DSPs being stopped) because Mike likely figures the ones we are missing are just the festivals and whatnot.

Let's see what Lorenzo says. I have almost no contacts with the band's management because they pretty much refuse to communicate with the fanbase.

And no I don't think we can successfully get audience recordings going again. Those died out so much when DSPs came along, especially in the USA. Europe could probably be alright with them but the USA and a lot of other places would be completely fucked.

Trust me, I know. LP didn't release the IL show from the HCT, and I can't find shit in terms of audience recordings that aren't cell phone recording with the "taper" screaming.