Linkin Park Playing Summer Sonic 2013

RogueSoul

From the Linkin Park Twitter: "We're heading back to Japan in August to play Summer Sonic. Looking forward to it."

Linkin Park will be performing at the annual Summer Sonic festival in August 2013 for the third time (2006 and 2009 being the previous times). Based on the Summer Sonic Site, other bands playing are Metallica (who will be headlining the Soundwave Festival later this year), Muse, and The Stone Roses.

While dates are not 100% confirmed by LP or Summer Sonic, the venues are listed below, including a possible show at Sonic Mania on August 13th. When details are confirmed, we will update the thread!

Aug 10 or 11: QVC Makuhari Messe & Marine Field, Chiba City, Japan

Aug 10 or 11: Maishima Summer Sonic Osaka Site, Osaka, Japan

Aug 13: Makuhari Messe, Chiba City, Japan (Sonic Mania)

Metallica, Muse and Linkin Park - wow!

Feb 28, 2013 EDIT: Thanks to MikeShinodaClan, the dates have been confirmed with an event poster.

Linkin Park will open for Metallica as expected on the following dates at Summer Sonic:

10.08.2013: QVC Makuhari Messe & Marine Field, Chiba City, Japan

11.08.2013: Maishima Summer Sonic Osaka Site, Osaka, Japan

EDIT: And now it is confirmed by both LinkinPark.com and SummerSonic.com.

Edited by Hahninator

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you're flash!

I think they will play on August 13. Because Metallica and Muse close the events on 10th and 11th.

I started as soon as they tweeted it :P I think they're all playing the three shows (maybe Summer Sonic After too)

That is a very very nice choice of headliners.

Couldnt agree more!

Asia - last stop on the LT World Tour?

Europe in May/June?

Or they will do an euro-tour after this in september/october as arena-tour.

but if they do a may/june tour in europe, we will know this in the next weeks. in germany the tickets will buy ~4 months before the shows.

Mall will be WAY more epic than The Raid, IMO. I can't wait for it. I didn't think it was actually going to come out but apparently it is since the band is working on as a whole. And also, I think it's awesome that LP is playing Summer Sonic once again. 2006 SS was epic, 2009 SS was awesome, I hope this is a mix of both. They should play Qwerty in full at this show, the 06 version, not the PR 07 version.

Interesting, thats now 2 tours this year which LP will be on the road with Metallica.

Interesting info: The band's work on the Mall soundtrack counts as an album under Warner, thus it should end their contract.

People still think they want to end their contract with Warner?

I dont think they'll leave.

Interesting, thats now 2 tours this year which LP will be on the road with Metallica.

I dont think they'll leave.

They also played in 2012 a few times at the same festivals. Rock in Rio, Rock im Park, Rock am Ring, Nova Rock ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like for the first time, LP won't be headlining one of the days. They will either be playing right before Muse or right before Metallica. Metallica is what I would assume since I don't think LP would agree to play before Muse at a festival lol, since LP probably believes (and rightly so) that they and Muse are at a very similar status in the world and are both too big to play before one another, if that makes sense.

It looks like for the first time, LP won't be headlining one of the days. They will either be playing right before Muse or right before Metallica. Metallica is what I would assume since I don't think LP would agree to play before Muse at a festival lol, since LP probably believes (and rightly so) that they and Muse are at a very similar status in the world and are both too big to play before one another, if that makes sense.

The only way I could see LP opening for Muse would be if it was at a big festival in England like Reading or Glastonbury, stuff like that. Muse are basically considered gods over there. I'd say Japan is a pretty neutral ground for both bands though.

Also, food for thought: LP's playing Summer Sonic in the middle of August, after what's looking like it'll be at least a couple months off from touring, and we know they're going back into the studio a bit later this year. With these 2 shows likely being "on an island" between the end of this touring cycle and album #6, could we see a second new song debuted 7 years (SEVEN YEARS?! My god.) after QWERTY?

Edited by Astat