Taipei Times Interview w/ Chester

hahninator

I'm not sure if you all have seen this interview here that Chester did with the Taipei Times the other day, but there are some pretty cool things in it.

Hoobastank and The All-American Rejects will be opening for LP in Taipei; the old demo that Chester recorded vocals for to show the rest of LP was 'Forgotten'; Chester talks about Dead By Sunrise and more. Have a look.

Oh yeah, it's confirmed Rick Rubin is producing the next album for sure now. Thoughts?

Like I posted in the other thread, I wonder what made LP change their mind about Rick Rubin on this album?

I don't mind though, Rick Rubin is a great producer and has worked with great artists. He seems to like to make sure each album is unique in its own right, so it should be interesting to see what the next LP album sounds like.

It sounds like there will be a lot more hip-hop/electronic/keyboard influence on this album.

I will send positive energy to the band..

I think rick let do to their band whatever the sound they want to

So I fully believe that this album will have a lot of great beats, nice synths, distorted vocals, and more rapping

to me New Divide was like... Minutes to Midnight meets the new album ^^

i think nobody could say it in a better way ;)

Great interview. Really like Chester's concluding take on the way music is distributed these days.

And I also don't mind Rubin producing the next album as well. I think his influence on the music itself is minimal, and that the guys only want to draw on his knowledge to make sure their stuff doesn't sound like anything else.

I'm not too happy though about the apparent elevation of electronics for the new record, as Chester said ...

Because he thinks that the unexpected sound that we got with MTM is Rick's fault.

Speak for yourself, not others.

Honestly i dont really like that they chose him again to each their own though. I just hope Rick doesnt pull another Death Magnetic with the LP record

I wouldn't get too worried. As Astat put it very brilliantly in another thread, the band still ultimately controls the sound of the album.

Rick Rubin won't make the next album a bad one and Don Gilmore wouldn't make it a great one. The quality of the album is in LP's hands. The producer is there to help give the band direction and keep focus in the studio, not make the music.

This is especially true in LP, in my opinion, because of Mike Shinoda. I'd be willing to bet he gets another co-producer credit on this album too. Since he knows how to work production software, and basically is a producer himself, it helps LP get their own original ideas intact into the music and onto the album.

Again, the producer will give feedback and help pitch ideas, but Linkin Park controls the sound of Linkin Park albums.

Edited by Xero21

I wouldn't get too worried. As Astat put it very brilliantly in another thread, the band still ultimately controls the sound of the album.

Rick Rubin won't make the next album a bad one and Don Gilmore wouldn't make it a great one. The quality of the album is in LP's hands. The producer is there to help give the band direction and keep focus in the studio, not make the music.

This is especially true in LP, in my opinion, because of Mike Shinoda. I'd be willing to bet he gets another co-producer credit on this album too. Since he knows how to work production software, and basically is a producer himself, it helps LP get their own original ideas intact into the music and onto the album.

Again, the producer will give feedback and help pitch ideas, but Linkin Park controls the sound of Linkin Park albums.

Amen to that lol, took the words right outta me lol

Edited by LPKode2

This is a bit unusual for Lplive, I read this days ago, surprised it took so long to appear on here.

But yeah, as i posted in the other thread, Rubin is on board again.

And I'm all for it. I can't wait. If it wasn't for Rick, maybe i wouldn't have my favorite LP song, LTGYA to listen to.

I thought LinkinPark always wanted to try something different on each album so why not a different producer to make a new sound? Or maybe they feel confident with the same producer If they wanted to make new sound?

They probably figure Rick Rubin did such a good job helping them find a new sound before that he can do it again.

The thing I find interesting is bringing in Rubin so late in the game. I mean Shinoda has confirmed they have about half of the music done. It's odd to bring a producer in of Rubin's stature if you've already been working in the studio for 8-9 months so far. I was fully convinced it was Mike doing the record this time around.

I don't like Rubin as a producer, and I'm not just talking MTM. It's also notable that they are staying at NRG instead of going to Rubin's like they did for most of MTM. I don't think Rubin will have as a big a part of changing the sound on this record as he did for the last. But I just think its real odd to bring him in so late in the game, and also when, on a few different occassions, Mike told us through various mediums they weren't going with RR this time, but maybe in the future.

Either way, I have faith that this new album will kick MTM's ass.

i think rick is a great producer. Even though mtm wasnt the best lp album, i think that he helped them get what they wanted, and that was to show the world that they can created great music that is not like meteora or hybrid theory. And i cant think of another producer that would really help them with this new album but rick.

Rick is not the reason MTM is "soft" and different. It Don was still with them, I bet MTM would have been the same. It's wasn't Rick's decision to make MTM sound completely different. We know that this new album is going to be like MTM was comparing it it the other albums. Different. They are not a nu-mental band anymore. Chester said they are more Alternative Rock.

For LP's band choice, it's nice to see a couple bands we have heard of and haven't been on tour with LP. Only problem I see is DBS. I don't think Chester's voice can handle 2 band performances. Sure he won't be screaming with DBS and pushing his vocal ability like he does with LP, but I have a feeling he will be so sore by the end of the LP set.