Review Rinse Repeat - A Thousand Suns

ChuckCheese

It's funny how the music business works. Release an amazing debut album, and it is generally recognized as such by critics and laymen, helps to set a new genre standard, is replayed for years, and assists the band in building a huge fanbase. After that is when things get weird. If the band in question decides not to vary their formula, makes mediocre music that retains many of the elements of their original material, and plays it safe, their fans stick by them and the critics aren't too harsh (see: the response to my review of the new Goo Goo Dolls album). However, if the band realizes that to make a real, long-lasting impact on the world they must be fluid, maturing with every album, changing their sound, exploring new territory, they are vilified by former "fans" and critics alike. They are disparaged all over the internet, ignored and/or disemboweled by elitist music listeners, and their efforts at making cutting-edge, mature, different music are mocked, whether or not the mockery is justified. And in many cases, it isn't.

Linkin Park is a perfect example of this phenomenon. Though they've certainly never been darlings of the critics, their 2000 debut Hybrid Theory kicked off the decade with an enormous statement: nu-metal can generate good music. Rap and rock don't have to battle - they can be melded together if you have a good, hot blowtorch. 2003's Meteora laughed in the face of the "sophomore slump," stating strongly that loud modern rock music could be good, and establishing Linkin Park as one of the most important and biggest bands of the decade.

[...]

For the whole review check the source below

Source: http://www.reviewrinserepeat.com/artist/li...and-suns/review

WIN, the word epic is floating around a bit too much these days but everything I felt is covered in this article. 9.8/10 (Missed the MS distortion in "womans voice"). Parts of me like to think that the FIF track (WTCFM) is a shot at the label, I will quote it till the day I die to the zomg bring back HT and Meteora people as I'd like to think a bit of that is directed at these fans stuck in the year 2000. Glad to see there is a reporter out there whos got a pair to actually voice this opinion.

Check LPL FB to see if you agree with my VMA local prediction ;)

Edited by skyzlmt

Parts of me like to think that the FIF track (WTCFM) is a shot at the label, I will quote it till the day I die to the zomg bring back HT and Meteora people as I'd like to think a bit of that is directed at these fans stuck in the year 2000.

I agree with you 100+% WTCFM is Mike telling the people to say goodbye to HT and Meteora because they are done with that sound and will continue to evolve and change. M2M grew on some people and I know ATS will to, and I can't wait to see their live interpretations of ATS songs, bring on the 14th! :)

What a great review, really puts into perspective what the album is about and what it contains, it shares my enthusiasm for trying to put to bed the claims that they are not the "old" Linkin Park, but as the review says, they have grown up lyrically and musically. In my opinion, the way ATS all merges into one journey is fantastic!

BRING ON MONDAY 13TH!!!

Mmmmh...good review, but the writer is a little bit exagerating. Blackout the most hardcore LP song? WAK chorus the best Bennington chorus ever? MTM, one of the best rock record of the decade? ATS, 5 stars?

Here, we don't have an extremist hater (as in "The New York Daily News"), but an extremist lover... :rolleyes:

For ONCE we don't have a critic who is completely oblivious to the music world and not a complete bias prick that won't let anything LP does satisfy them. Sure there are critics who truly understand and appreciate music, but the majority of them you can just feel the bias hate they have towards this band and its been the same since day one, no matter how many times they attempt to change things up. This doesn't just understand LP from a musical and creative standpoint, but he understands the music world in general. Great review.

I watched the Documentary last night on Hulu and to be honest I was very dissapointed. I was expecting so much more especially since the clips we have been getting made it seem like it was gonna be a truly deep video...the editing was horrible and the buzz censors made me go !@#@!. Just left you expecting or wanting more... But the highlight was Chester's EPIC speech...that is a CLASSIC! =)

As for the ALBUM....now that is EPIC! I love it. Been a fan since 2000 and as Linkin Park has grown as musicians, so have I. I thank God for this album... I love HT and Metora to death but I wouldnt want the same ever again. M2M took a while to get use to cause it was different but now I love that album as well...now ATS has been on repeat and doesnt get boring. Good review, some of the negative reviews are just awful....sounds more like rants rather than true journalism. =) Im trying to get everyone I know who doesnt listen to LP to check this album out and see what they think.

Edited by ItaliaLP

Best review ever. Though he was exagerating a little bit it sounds like he didn't say "No guitars? No screaming? No rapping? A song that sounds a slightly poppy? SELLOUTS!!! SELLOUTS!!! THIS ALBUM SUCKS DON'T LISTEN TO IT!!!" and instead took a good listen to it, took the music business into consideration, took their previous work into consideration, and took the constant pressures and nagging into the consideration, and then wrote the review.

Wow, I wrote somewhere that no matter what the critics write about the new LP album, they will never get it right, cause you cannot describe how great this album is. Well this guy proved me wrong :rolleyes: and for once I'm happy about that. I just hope that this inspires people to listen to the album and have the same experience I did when I listened to it.

Edited by LPHeinrich

Mmmmh...good review, but the writer is a little bit exagerating. Blackout the most hardcore LP song? WAK chorus the best Bennington chorus ever? MTM, one of the best rock record of the decade? ATS, 5 stars?

Here, we don't have an extremist hater (as in "The New York Daily News"), but an extremist lover... :rolleyes:

you gotta remember the decade is less than a year old lol

the review of waiting for the end is missing(if i read it well) thats the epic shit

Agreed, I love that song. :) But this is a great review. I've just put the album on my iPod and have been listening to it all day. It's amazing! I absolutely love it! I think Chester's done much better vocals on this album alone, let alone his carrer then W&K. I can't wait till Tuesday to see them perform some of these live!!!