The LIVING THINGS Leak

lakersfan13

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I felt the same way after the first listen, but after a couple dozen plays I love the album, or at least the first 2/3 of it. Everything up to "Tinfoil" is cool, and then it feels like they're filling time to drag out the end of the album. One of these days they'll end a studio album with Chester going crazy with screams instead of insisting on the soft pop ballad.

i really enjoy TLTGYA, messenger and powerless is bad though, especially messenger

Well, I ordered this on Amazon last week and it came in the mail this morning at about 10AM (not bad Amazon!).

A little back story: When rumors of ATS were that it would be a somewhat of a concept album, I was stoked. As it turned out, it was my favorite LP album. From start to finish, it was a great experience (I know, I know... that's what she said). Actually, the ATS era was the only time I saw them live. I had the CD in my car from release (sep 2010, I think?) til today, when I swapped it with LT. So, in other words, the band set the bar pretty high.

I've been listening to the album for a few days and I really like it a lot. My favorites are Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass and Skin to Bone, though those are all subject to change.

I will say this, Tinfoil as a standalone track is nothing special, but it fits perfectly as an intro to Powerless. When I want to listen to that song, I'll start with Tinfoil. It reminds me of some of the bands live intros. Just a neat way to set the mood.

I'm not gonna rate it on a scale or anything; either I like it or I don't :P

EDIT: Also, Thanks for the mention of the BID EP, Geki! I didn't know Walmart was selling them, but since they're $5, I might stop by and pick one up!

Edited by Aiman

Apologies it too so long. Gave the album a few listens. Sorry if this sounds like other reviews. I'm not a professional. lol But here goes...

LOST IN THE ECHO

A really fantastic opener. Mike begins rapping over the beat. Chester can be heard singing harmonies in the background. They fit the song really well. Extremely well paced chorus. After the second chorus, scratches can be heard and it sorta reminds me of "Blackout". It's not bad, but I'd have preferred just the 20 second instrumental interlude into the last chorus but it works.

IN MY REMAINS

The song starts off with a guitar with some scratches as Chester takes the lead singing to a beat and some piano in the background. The chorus comes in and it hits you right in the face. Another verse followed by another chorus. The bridge hits and you can hear the military style drums with Mike singing those familiar lyrics "Like an army, falling, one by one by one." I would be shocked if this doesn't happen to be a single.

BURN IT DOWN

We've all heard it by now. The chorus is very catchy and you will see yourself singing it before the song is over. The rap/rock element shows here once again. Meant to be a single. Let it pass...

LIES GREED MISERY

Mike begins rapping over a distorted beat which honestly, to me, goes together really well. The bridge slows down the pace of the song but then builds back up and everything just goes nuts. Screams. Distortion. Beats. Guitars. All at once. Holy shit... I bet the last 30 seconds of this song is what many believed VICTIMIZED to sound like. More on that in a bit...

I'LL BE GONE

I think it was Astat who mentioned the connection between this song and "When They Come For Me" on A Thousand Suns. I definitely get the connection. Not to mention both tracks are #5 on their respective albums. A mind blowing fact all in itself. I like the pace of this song, and the chorus just destroys anything I have heard up until this point. Possibly my favorite chorus of any LP song. Another single worthy song.

CASTLE OF GLASS

I will go on record and say that this is the song I was looking forward to that had me intrigued the most. The intro sounds like nothing I've ever heard from the band up till this point. Brownie Points!! Every element of this song is great. I love the use of the background melodies and I am a fan of Mike having the lead singing. It was one of the main things I loved on ATS with "Burning in the Skies" and "Iridescent".

VICTIMIZED

The song EVERYONE was waiting to hear. It starts off like how people thought it would but 20 seconds in, the vibe changes. I thought it was going to be 2 full minutes of Chester screaming like it would be the last song that he ever screamed on. We didn't get that and I am okay with that. There are some songs where I like to be able to understand what is being said in the lyrics and if it was just scream-o, I wouldn't be able to understand it. I guess my only complaint about this song is that it would have easily been twice as long.

ROADS UNTRAVELED

Right away, you can tell it will be a ballad. That put a smile on my face. Anything with piano makes me a happy guy. Mike begins singing once again to open this track. I like this trend. The chorus might be one of the most beautiful things I will ever hear. The "Woaoooohhhhhh....Woaoooohhhh..." got me singing alongside right away. The song dies down near the end and then just explodes with power once again. Just beautiful.

SKIN TO BONE

This is my "meh" song off of the album. Where the song isn't bad it it's own right, it just doesn't seem to fit for me. I think someone already said that this felt like a filler track. I think they hit the nail right on the head with that comment.

UNTIL IT BREAKS

Essentially four songs in one. Well, I get the folk feel from it. I was pleasantly surprised when I listened for the first time. I thought I heard Brad it in and after rereading some reviews, that confirmed it. I get a Fort Minor feel in the first half of this song. I liked Brad's part. I am looking forward to seeing how this will be portrayed live.

TINFOIL

After listening the first time, I couldn't tell where TINFOIL ended and where POWERLESS began. This IS the intro to POWERLESS which in my mind, clocks in at 4:55 and not 3:43. I will just count the two as one song.

POWERLESS

Right away, I am pulled in by the piano for this beautiful ballad. Chester takes the lead this time with the lyrics "And you held it all. But you were careless to let it fall. You held it all. And I was by your side........Powerless". By the second chorus, I was singing along. I believe Mike chimes in with the "ohhhhhhhh". The song ends with Chester in the distance almost screaming "powerless". One of the most amazing outros to a Linkin Park album. It's hard to choose whether I love this one or "The Little Things Give You Away" more. They are both just absolutely amazing. TLTGYA might have a slight edge.

Overall, it is just an incredible album. It is full of immense energy. I recommend this album to anyone who has a chance to get it. Definitely something I can listen to at least a few times a day. I waited until the day of the official release and I can honestly say I am happy I did.

My Rating - 8.9/10

I think that is a fairly accurate rating. If SKIN TO BONE wasn't included, I believe it would have been higher.

Edited by Logo85

Well, I ordered this on Amazon last week and it came in the mail this morning at about 10AM (not bad Amazon!).

A little back story: When rumors of ATS were that it would be a somewhat of a concept album, I was stoked. As it turned out, it was my favorite LP album. From start to finish, it was a great experience (I know, I know... that's what she said). Actually, the ATS era was the only time I saw them live. I had the CD in my car from release (sep 2010, I think?) til today, when I swapped it with LT. So, in other words, the band set the bar pretty high.

I've been listening to the album for a few days and I really like it a lot. My favorites are Roads Untraveled, Castle of Glass and Skin to Bone, though those are all subject to change.

I will say this, Tinfoil as a standalone track is nothing special, but it fits perfectly as an intro to Powerless. When I want to listen to that song, I'll start with Tinfoil. It reminds me of some of the bands live intros. Just a neat way to set the mood.

I'm not gonna rate it on a scale or anything; either I like it or I don't :P

EDIT: Also, Thanks for the mention of the BID EP, Geki! I didn't know Walmart was selling them, but since they're $5, I might stop by and pick one up!

No problem! I got mine like a month or two back, but they might still have them at your Wal-Mart, they don't at mine. The live tracks are decent though.

i really enjoy TLTGYA, messenger and powerless is bad though, especially messenger

imo the messenger was only bad on the album, the live versions are great

I noticed that the stream cut Victimized and Roads Untraveled incorrectly, too. Personally I preferred the stream version with those two, I don't like the noises at the end of Victimized tacked onto RU.

I noticed that the stream cut Victimized and Roads Untraveled incorrectly, too. Personally I preferred the stream version with those two, I don't like the noises at the end of Victimized tacked onto RU.

neither do I it just sounds weird when I listen.

On another note, anyone like the sublties thrown in throughout the album like the synthesized voices in the very very background of In My Remains, or the way that Victimized sounds like a record.

Or just how layered the album is in general

I love the layered vocals during In My Remains, most noticeably in the second verse. But I also hate how Owen Pallet's string arrangements in I'll Be Gone are turned down so much in the mix you can barely hear it. So all in all, the mixing has it's ups and downs for me. I also hate how the noise from Victimized is added on to the intro of Roads Untraveled. The mixing and mastering if polished but annoying on this album. Still good songs though.

Edited by Geki

neither do I it just sounds weird when I listen.

On another note, anyone like the sublties thrown in throughout the album like the synthesized voices in the very very background of In My Remains, or the way that Victimized sounds like a record.

Or just how layered the album is in general

Agreed. I find myself listening to the minute details in the background and finding little pieces of awesome. Pretty sure I've heard what sounds like Chester screaming a few times in certain intros.

I love the layered vocals during In My Remains, most noticeably in the second verse. But I also hate how Owen Pallet's string arrangements in I'll Be Gone are turned down so much in the mix you can barely hear it. So all in all, the mixing has it's ups and downs for me. I also hate how the noise from Victimized is added on to the intro of Roads Untraveled. The mixing and mastering if polished but annoying on this album. Still good songs though.

I especially agree about I'll Be Gone, I am a sucker of strings lol, so it was sad they they are basically put down to the bg.

Can anyone hear the horns that are supposedly in Castle of Glass? I can't hear them at all. It says they're there in the booklet, though.

Actually yeah.....they are in the background providing almost a harmony to everything. In the choruses' and in the instrumental bridge.

LP should really release an alternate mix of I'll Be Gone (Maybe a demo mix like Robot Boy on LPU11) for the fanclub, in which you can hear the strings very well. That'd be amazing.

Any Deftones fans out there?

The "gone, gone, gone" bit at the end of the chorus of Lost in the Echo reminds me so much of the bridge of Passenger.

Am I the only one that loves Skin to Bone? It's got almost like a vaudeville vibe but done in an electro style, for me it's the album's hidden gem.

I don't like the noises at the end of Victimized tacked onto RU.

But I also hate how Owen Pallet's string arrangements in I'll Be Gone are turned down so much in the mix you can barely hear it. So all in all, the mixing has it's ups and downs for me.

this (these)

Can anyone hear the horns that are supposedly in Castle of Glass? I can't hear them at all. It says they're there in the booklet, though.

no, nor me

Am I the only one that loves Skin to Bone?

I'm not taken by it, the mixing (a la the above quotes) is not what I'd like in that song. i think the sample is too loud through the verse, perticularly at the start and it distracts from the lyrics, I've only listened to it on my Dad's headphones so it might be different on my own (cheaper :P) ones though

Any Deftones fans out there?

The "gone, gone, gone" bit at the end of the chorus of Lost in the Echo reminds me so much of the bridge of Passenger.

Am I the only one that loves Skin to Bone? It's got almost like a vaudeville vibe but done in an electro style, for me it's the album's hidden gem.

I love it. I like the ''dirty'' feel it has.

After all, the most "old school sounding" thing on the album is the way Chester sings the line "so one last lie" in "Lost In The Echo", no bad blood, it was just funny to notice.

I think that LITE was the only song on the album that brought me back to Meteora days.

I actually love Skin To Bone, such a good song. Chester described the track as ''these huge beats just pounding you in your face''. He also said it started off as a simple folk song, and evolved into what we hear on the album. That's pretty insane. I seriously hope the band puts some of these demos onto LPU12. But anyways, I love the vocals in Skin To Bone, and the beat is pretty amazing. The lyrics are meant to be simple, IMO, I think the band wanted to write those lyrics the way they did.