The LIVING THINGS Leak

lakersfan13

Had to post my review. I was expecting a mix of Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns, with some Hybrid Theory/Meteora influence in lyrics, etc. Overall, I think that's what it was, with more ATS than I expected.

1. LOST IN THE ECHO - Chester's vocals in the chorus were less aggressive than i expected/hoped for. But, after a few listens, the song has grown on me. I liked the raps/screams. 8.5/10

2. IN MY REMAINS - Sounded a little to similar to Burn It Down in some areas, but overall a nice song. I liked Mike's vocals at the end. 8.5/10

3. BURN IT DOWN - Not bad, but a little too poppy for my taste. Liked the rapping. 8/10

4. LIES GREED MISERY - Still not sure what to think about this song. I want to like it, but it seems like something's missing and like it was rushed. Not a huge fan of the lyrics either, but it's still a fun song and the ending is pretty cool. 8/10

5. I'LL BE GONE - Really good song. Nothing really jumps out at me to make it amazing, but it's one of those songs that really has nothing wrong with it either. Just a nice mid-tempo song with a big chorus. 9/10

6. CASTLE OF GLASS - Pretty different from what I expected. It's definitely folky, but still good. Mike's vocals are really good as usual. This is the first track that really strays from the standard-ish formula used in the first part of the album. I would have preferred a bigger climax, like the vocals going higher at the end. 8/10

7. VICTIMIZED - This track confuses me. I feel like they made it to satisfy the older fans, not because they wanted to. I like the verses, but the chorus sounds very forced. And the drums didn't make much sense to me. 1) The punk-ness bugs me 2) They sound different from all other LP drums, like they were recorded in a garage or something. 7/10

8. ROADS UNTRAVELED - I like it, but I wish it had a chorus. It feels like it was really close to being REALLY good, but didn't quite get there. Maybe it needed a bigger climax, like Castle Of Glass. 8.5/10

9. SKIN TO BONE - Decent I guess, but it didn't really go anywhere. Kind of a consistent, almost boring-ness. Not awful, but it needs to go somewhere, it was too repetitive. 6.5/10

10. UNTIL IT BREAKS - This felt like a medley. I know it came from like 3 demos, and I don't think it really worked. The verses were OK, but they really needed a different, more aggressive chorus. Brad's part was good, but again, it didn't really belong there. 6.5/10

11. TINFOIL - Good I guess.

12. POWERLESS - Great ending to the album. Best slower song on the album. Really liked when Chester started singing "Powerless" higher toward the end. 9/10

OVERALL LIVING THINGS RATING - 8/10

My early rankings (these will probably change):

1. I'LL BE GONE

2. POWERLESS

3. IN MY REMAINS

4. LOST IN THE ECHO

5. ROADS UNTRAVELED

6. LIES GREED MISERY

7. BURN IT DOWN

8. CASTLE OF GLASS

9. VICTIMIZED

10. UNTIL IT BREAKS

11. SKIN TO BONE

12. TINFOIL

Like most have said, I really like the first half more than the second half. I really like these big choruses that appear early on, but those kind of disappear from COG through UIB. That said, the only songs that I didn't like very much were Victimized, Skin To Bone and Until It Breaks.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I expected to like this a lot, and early on, I like it, but not as much as I hoped. But, as I type this, I can already feel it growing on me, so my hopes are up for my future opinion improving. A lot of the songs' ratings are close together, so I hope they start to separate more.

Edited by stl22

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Self-excitation? I don't get it.. sounds fine

Listen carefully at 2:30

... I got the original single CD and you can hear this sound in every version, rip, original or what else. It sounds definitely like a self-excitation or acoustic feedback. Sorry I don't know, what is the correct translation for "Rückkopplung"? :D

Loving the record as a whole, will post my review in the appropriate place after more listening.

I will say, though, that Castle of Glass is absolutely amazing. It's funny how with every LP record (and most records from my favourite bands) there is one song that stands out to me as utterly fantastic, and COG is definitely this record's "Iridescent".

The self-excitation? I cant, damn it! Is it a vocal thing?

Yes, it sounds like "normal" microphone self-excitation or maybe a "slide" from a guitar. But this sound is definitely not correct. Mistake at the final mix or something...

Yes, it sounds like "normal" microphone self-excitation or maybe a "slide" from a guitar. But this sound is definitely not correct. Mistake at the final mix or something...

All I can hear is synthesized vocals, and then a clear voice saying "so give me reason".. the guitar sounds the same i think. Oh well, the less I know the less it'll bug me :D

OK, this is the end of my off topic. After three years I got it. :lol:

It's a mistake from the vocal line, because the instrumental version doesn't have it.

For all of you, compare

with
and you got it. You have to "ignore" Chesters vocals to notice this self-excitation.

THIS ALBUM IS A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!! I can't fucking stand these guys. I would rather have an elephant shitting in my ear and listen to that than listen to a song off of this record again.. Who th..............

Oh wait. That's my review of the latest Nickelback album. Sorry. Living Things album should be posted soon =)

THIS ALBUM IS A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!! I can't fucking stand these guys. I would rather have an elephant shitting in my ear and listen to that than listen to a song off of this record again.. Who th..............

Oh wait. That's my review of the latest Nickelback album. Sorry. Living Things album should be posted soon =)

Wooooooooooooooooooow. I love you.

There's no way an elephant's shit would fit in your ear unless you have the ear of an elephant.

I guess this is where I'll post my review. I've had over a week with this album and now I can really give a honest thoughtful review of it.

1. Lost In The Echo - The album wastes no time getting kicked off and you are quickly introduced to what Mike & crew have been working on for the past 13+ years. The true Hybrid Theory (Electro/Rock/Rap/Pop) has finally been created. The sonic wall of electric distortion lets up for the verse as Mike gives a rap that puts him back in his Hybrid Soldier boots. The lyrics flow quickly and soon you're attacked with Chester on the chorus, "These promises broken / Deep Below / Each word gets Lost In The Echo". Great way to start off the album. - 10/10

2. In My Remains - DJ Joe Hahn kicks off the 2nd track and erupts in classic LP fashion. Chester gives the vocals emotion and you truly feel what he is singing. The track is a little repetitive, until the bridge. In comes Shinoda and drummer Rob Bourdon to save the song. The song is given new energy with the Army-like drums and the final chorus ends with a bang as the song echoes "One by One". - 8/10

3. Burn It Down - I normally don't care for the first single off any LP record. 'Burn It Down' hasn't changed this, however it does have the growing power all LP songs have. An infectious chorus and chord progression gets stuck in your head easier than the Lamb Chop's "The Song That Never Ends". The rap feels a little out of place but Mike Shinoda's delivery quickly erases any doubts that it belongs in this song. - 8/10

4. Lies, Greed, Misery - This is the first sight of the MTM/ATS experimentation on this album. The song is backed by a poppy electronic cadence. Shinoda starts in with powerful raps, which is standard pop fare. Then comes in Chester with his sing/scream. This is the wrench in the machine. The song is so happy, yet Chester is so angry. It was a gamble, but it pays of beautifully as it blows the energy of the song through the roof and it wiill clearly get a crowd going at every concert this year. 9/10

5. I'll Be Gone - If there is one thing LP knows how to do, it is how to write big choruses. In The End, Crawling, Faint, and What I've Done are clear examples of memorable choruses. This song will be chanted in arenas across the world. This is clearly single material for LP. The lyrics are sung powerfully by Chester and the band explodes in pure LP fashion. The bridge could use some work, but this is a another strong showing for LP. - 8/10

6. Castle of Glass - The first thing you can hear is the clearly folk inspired shuck of a guitar, except it isn't done on a guitar. It is done with a combination of drums and a electric sample. This is the folk of new age. The lyrics are somewhat 'folky' - "Take me down to the river bend / Take me down to the fighting end", but soon take on a bigger scope. Shinoda's singing has improved over the years and it is shown put on display in this song. - 8/10

7. Victimized - What just happened? Death drums, screams, rapping, guitars. All mashed together, mixed in and spit out. This can go either way for some people. It is simple for me, I'll headbang to it anywhere. - 9/10

8. Roads Untraveled - In stark contrast to the previous song, soft chimes introduce this song. It is welcoming and pleasant way to start a song. The ballad is unique with it's no word chorus, but it works. Guitars swell and take you down 'Roads Untraveled'. Chester's soft bridge is great and the final chorus explodes with great force. - 8/10

9. Skin To Bone - LP must have came up with this song on a carnival ride. The music is whacked out clown music. The lyrics are simple and very amateur. They just sing simple opposites for most of the song. The end of the song sounds like it is building up to something, but never does. Sounds like a lazy song. - 5/10

10. Until It Breaks - This song is Fort Minor. Shinoda is all over this track. The rapping is top notch and you can really tell Mike is in the groove. Chester comes in for a surprising 'mini chorus?' and then Mike comes back with a different rap style. That makes 3 different demos in one song which is crazy. When you expect Chester's chorus to kick back in, you are left with a surprise performance. A 4th demo emerges with LP's own Brad Delson giving his first solo vocal performance. It is eerily creepy and is a complete 180 turn from what the song was 10 seconds before. For any other band this could have failed miserably. However, LP manages to pull it off, and it works. 10/10

11. Tinfoil - Like HT and Meteora, the eleventh track is an instrumental. This track is unique, as it has been a demo of LP's for a while. I can't remember/find when it was first introduced as a demo, but the name has floated around for a while. Anyways, it is pretty much a long intro to 'Powerless' and that's it. It sets the vibe for the last song and isn't much on it's own. I don't see Hahn doing much on this track like has has on past instrumentals. He can pretty much press play and walk off stage on this one. Still, it sounds good and I'll give it something for that. - 6/10

12. Powerless - The buildup from 'Tinfoil' sends you into LPLand. This is a universe controlled by 6 guys making the music they want to make. The songs twist comes with that it is a powerful way to end the album. The atmosphere, the delivery, the music, all have so much strength that it almost breaks the song. However, it stays below the breaking point and ends the album on a high note. - 10/10

Overall - Instant Classic. There are a couple of hiccups, but this is as close as LP has come to recreating the energy that Hybrid Theory created in 2000. There will be some turned off by the use of electronics and the guitars being mixed in the background, but then they never really understood LP. They are not just one genre, they are several, mixed together and melted into a beautiful frenzy that have no signs of slowing down. This is the year of Linkin Park, and this is the year of Living Things. - 8.25/10

Lol B)

Not a fan :/

I felt the same way after the first listen, but after a couple dozen plays I love the album, or at least the first 2/3 of it. Everything up to "Tinfoil" is cool, and then it feels like they're filling time to drag out the end of the album. One of these days they'll end a studio album with Chester going crazy with screams instead of insisting on the soft pop ballad.