LIVING THINGS review - Artist Direct

NickDuffy

In before the "I told you so's"

And before Terrell tears apart the entire album then says he loves it...

*trollface*

Never did that with ATS though, never said I loved that one :P Just tore it a new asshole and said meh a few tracks are cool.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This interview reads like something written by a total LP fanboy with little knowledge of actual musical composition. Pretty amateur stuff here, wouldn't be surprised if this falls into the "deceptive track descriptions" category that Mike's mentioned.

could not agree more, he speaks of LP as if they have been the rulers of music over the decade. As if this album will bring the end to world hunger. Waaaaay to much praise and it's like a worships the album. fanboy alert of note

I learned last time from the ATS reviews of "oh Rob fucking rapes the drums on the end of that one song, oh it's so good" -> Iridescent. FML. I learned don't judge anything until you hear it yourself lol, ATS reviews taught me people on first listen tend to think it's way more epic than it really is.

Iridescent is the only LP song my dad drums to, he loves the end

I learned last time from the ATS reviews of "oh Rob fucking rapes the drums on the end of that one song, oh it's so good" -> Iridescent. FML. I learned don't judge anything until you hear it yourself lol, ATS reviews taught me people on first listen tend to think it's way more epic than it really is.

True, reviews don't mean anything.

A lot of people who think ATS is the best album need their ears checked!

True, reviews don't mean anything.

A lot of people who think ATS is the best album need their ears checked!

No, people that think Meteora is their best album need to get their ears checked.

Kidding aside, why is every post I read from you is about how crap ATS is (in your opinion), yet you make it seem as though it is absolute, that ATS IS the worst album LP have made, fact. You seem to come here just to remind people of your opinion (or whatever you think is fact). Yeah we get it, you don't like the album, thats cool, each to their own. But telling people that like the album/think its the best to get their ears checked? Grow up, seriously.

No, people that think Meteora is their best album need to get their ears checked.

Kidding aside, why is every post I read from you is about how crap ATS is (in your opinion), yet you make it seem as though it is absolute, that ATS IS the worst album LP have made, fact. You seem to come here just to remind people of your opinion (or whatever you think is fact). Yeah we get it, you don't like the album, thats cool, each to their own. But telling people that like the album/think its the best to get their ears checked? Grow up, seriously.

This !!

NOISECREEP REVIEW -

Comprised of 12 tracks, LIVING THINGS kicks off with "LOST IN THE ECHO," and it's clear from the first tease of feedback that the band is in stellar form. The big, dramatic washes of synth, the complex, but strangely accessible syncopated beats and blistering raps create a full-on "Linkin Park comfort level" that no doubt will not just appeal to longtime fans, but generate lots of younger listener buzz as well.

"IN MY REMAINS" features a military drum march as the backbone behind a truly thunderous melody, and as you may have heard, the single, "BURN IT DOWN" is classic Linkin Park - heavy, anthemic and made especially powerful by the California band's trademark wall of sound.

Other standout tracks include the hook-laden "I'LL BE GONE," which also feels like a single, the moody, mercurial "CASTLE OF GLASS," and the wildly intense "VICTIMIZED." This track in particular just scorches - and has an instant-classic feel.

The record overall is relentless - a never-ending assault of thick grooves, sinewy guitars, ethereal soundscapes, and looping rhythms.

One of the album's two ballads (the other being 'POWERLESS'), "UNTIL IT BREAKS," is a nice pause in the action; an evocative piece of melodic electronica that builds and cascades in an even more lush, layered production than the rest of the record. Rubin is clearly the right fit for the band and in particular seems to have worked well with Shinoda in capturing the band's classic sound, while also adding new layers of sonic richness to the mix.

LIVING THINGS clocks in at a brisk 37 minutes, perhaps leaving the listener wanting more - which is rarely a bad thing to do. But there is not one wasted second and it certainly satisfies. Based on Noisecreep's first listen, we are pretty certain this will be one of the most talked about (and played) albums of the summer. Powerful, hypnotic and thoroughly true to form, this is a brilliant, definitive collection that represents an important band at its peak - yet again.

READ THE LAST LINE AGAIN.

That's because it's the only LP song worth learning on drums because it's not a basic 4-beat rhythm.

No..just no. Other songs have much better drums. The best being Little things give you away.

Anyways, the guy that wrote the Artist Direct Review just tweeted about the new Gojira track as "mind-numbingly awesome". Seriously, he must be a fanboy of everything...

Edited by VavourasLP

One of the album's two ballads (the other being 'POWERLESS'), "UNTIL IT BREAKS,"

So there's only two ballads this time around. Fair enough.

Anyways, the guy that wrote the Artist Direct Review just tweeted about the new Gojira track as "mind-numbingly awesome". Seriously, he must be a fanboy of everything...

To be fair, the new Gojira track IS mind numbingly awesome.

NOISECREEP REVIEW -

Comprised of 12 tracks, LIVING THINGS kicks off with "LOST IN THE ECHO," and it's clear from the first tease of feedback that the band is in stellar form. The big, dramatic washes of synth, the complex, but strangely accessible syncopated beats and blistering raps create a full-on "Linkin Park comfort level" that no doubt will not just appeal to longtime fans, but generate lots of younger listener buzz as well.

"IN MY REMAINS" features a military drum march as the backbone behind a truly thunderous melody, and as you may have heard, the single, "BURN IT DOWN" is classic Linkin Park - heavy, anthemic and made especially powerful by the California band's trademark wall of sound.

Other standout tracks include the hook-laden "I'LL BE GONE," which also feels like a single, the moody, mercurial "CASTLE OF GLASS," and the wildly intense "VICTIMIZED." This track in particular just scorches - and has an instant-classic feel.

The record overall is relentless - a never-ending assault of thick grooves, sinewy guitars, ethereal soundscapes, and looping rhythms.

One of the album's two ballads (the other being 'POWERLESS'), "UNTIL IT BREAKS," is a nice pause in the action; an evocative piece of melodic electronica that builds and cascades in an even more lush, layered production than the rest of the record. Rubin is clearly the right fit for the band and in particular seems to have worked well with Shinoda in capturing the band's classic sound, while also adding new layers of sonic richness to the mix.

LIVING THINGS clocks in at a brisk 37 minutes, perhaps leaving the listener wanting more - which is rarely a bad thing to do. But there is not one wasted second and it certainly satisfies. Based on Noisecreep's first listen, we are pretty certain this will be one of the most talked about (and played) albums of the summer. Powerful, hypnotic and thoroughly true to form, this is a brilliant, definitive collection that represents an important band at its peak - yet again.

READ THE LAST LINE AGAIN.

All I see is more fanboying. The album's sounding a lot more like a complete backpedal to HT and Meteora. But we don't know any of the lyrical content beyond Burn it Down (which wasn't that bad) just yet, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I feel like I need to vent the fact that ATS was just terrible.

You all better hope LT is a good album :D

Essentially we have to; ignore all early reviews, listen to the album ourselves, and coming to terms with our own opinions. With how much LP has kept each progressive album fresh and new with their evolving interests and ideas I can't see Living Things being any less than that. Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns were basically them suppressing a part of themselves, which did both bad and good to them and their fans. Now that they have grown the balls to accept who they are and what they have become in the music world I expect great things from this album. This next album will truly be EVERYTHING LP has been, currently is, and what they're aiming to be. No early reviews or listens can sum that up for anyone. Just the first listen, and probably hundreds more, will decide exactly what Living Things will be to LP fans and music fans a like

After reading this thread and the others about Living Things.. all I can say is I miss the days when Linkin Park fans used to actually like the music. Used to be excited about an album coming out because well, it was a new album coming out. 37 minutes of more music than we'll have before it. Seriously how many of you actually spend more time bitching about the album and things surrounding it than actually enjoying it after it comes out?

I guess I just miss the days when I could be in an atmosphere where I wouldn't be the odd man out for being excited about new LP without worrying about track times, song titles, how much rapping is on it, and if there will be interludes.