LIVING THINGS review - Artist Direct

NickDuffy

After reading the line "A majestic 21st century bitch slap, it's glitched-out, pissed-off hard rock.", I received a tickling sensation around my genitals. Just saying.

Edited by Pez

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this thread and the others about Living Things.. all I can say is I miss the days when Linkin Park fans used to actually like the music. Used to be excited about an album coming out because well, it was a new album coming out. 37 minutes of more music than we'll have before it. Seriously how many of you actually spend more time bitching about the album and things surrounding it than actually enjoying it after it comes out?

I guess I just miss the days when I could be in an atmosphere where I wouldn't be the odd man out for being excited about new LP without worrying about track times, song titles, how much rapping is on it, and if there will be interludes.

Whether or not fans like the music is up to them. But yes, I guess this bitching about track times and song titles is annoying. I kind of wish LP would just release an album without making any hype about it, like Radiohead did with In Rainbows (they literally gave ten days notice), but I don't think thats gonna happen, especially when their with a label like Warner.

Anyone complaining about getting only 37 minutes of music should just stop right now. Since the release of A Thousand Suns we were given two LP Underground CD's both clocking in close to 35 minutes each. So within the 18 month wait between albums we were given a little bit more than an hour of new music/old demos.

The album length doesn't bother me a huge bit, honestly. I just don't want LP to end up taking a step back after ATS, whether they perceive it as such or not. I'm going to enjoy the album regardless of what it sounds like unless it's literally a bad album. I'm excited for Mike to put down the guitar and bring out the MC again. But I don't want to be sitting there when the album's over and go "was that Hybrid Theory 3?"

And another thing, regarding bitching about the new album and such, if you think this is a new thing or that this wasn't around, welcome to music fanbases. Put on your jockstrap and suck it up. Any band that's been around for more than two albums is going to have a fanbase that bitches about everything.

Also, BlacK0uT, I could respect your opinion a bit more if you weren't such a pompous asshole in literally every post I've read of yours. Talk about bitching and whining, man. You need to realize that you're not above anyone else and you need to stop acting like the rest of us are fucking stupid.

Edited by SomedudeRemix

I feel like I need to vent the fact that ATS was just terrible.

You all better hope LT is a good album :D

If you think Meteora was better than A Thousand Suns than you need to get your ears checked. I mean are we hearing the same album here? What's the deal?

Meteora was more formulaic, polished, and more dumbed-down than Hybrid Theory was. The whole album felt like it was just made for the masses and not for themselves. Songs like "Hit The Floor" and "Don't Stay" never should've seen the light of day, let alone become fan favorites. On the other end of the spectrum A Thousand Suns was an adventure before it even came out. The promotion of the album was phenomonal. The dark pictures, the creepy messages, everything felt like a mystery. I felt like I was a part of the album. A part of the journey. The album itself was beautiful. When I first heard "And in the end we were made to be apart/like seperate chambers of the human heart" I teared up a little. 9 years ago when I first heard "I WON'T BE IGNOOOOOORED!!!" I kinda laughed. It sounded like Chester was venting about being picked on in high school or something. A Thousand Suns is artwork. The songs are much more detailed, and the album has a song for everyone. If you like reggae/pop you have Waiting For The End. If you like prog/electro/rock you have The Catalyst. If you like industrial/experimental/world you have When They Come For Me. The whole album is filled with suprises. It's like a mystery book with more twists and turns than a rollercoaster. Meteora on the other hand, a cheesy remake of Hybrid Theory with little-to-no ambition or emotion.

EDIT: If you want to know my favorite albums in order, it's

Reanimation tied with ATS > Hybrid Theory tied with MTM > Meteora

Edited by FleshIntoGear

If you think Meteora was better than A Thousand Suns than you need to get your ears checked. I mean are we hearing the same album here? What's the deal?

Meteora was more formulaic, polished, and more dumbed-down than Hybrid Theory was. The whole album felt like it was just made for the masses and not for themselves. Songs like "Hit The Floor" and "Don't Stay" never should've seen the light of day, let alone become fan favorites. On the other end of the spectrum A Thousand Suns was an adventure before it even came out. The promotion of the album was phenomonal. The dark pictures, the creepy messages, everything felt like a mystery. I felt like I was a part of the album. A part of the journey. The album itself was beautiful. When I first heard "And in the end we were made to be apart/like seperate chambers of the human heart" I teared up a little. 9 years ago when I first heard "I WON'T BE IGNOOOOOORED!!!" I kinda laughed. It sounded like Chester was venting about being picked on in high school or something. A Thousand Suns is artwork. The songs are much more detailed, and the album has a song for everyone. If you like reggae/pop you have Waiting For The End. If you like prog/electro/rock you have The Catalyst. If you like industrial/experimental/world you have When They Come For Me. The whole album is filled with suprises. It's like a mystery book with more twists and turns than a rollercoaster. Meteora on the other hand, a cheesy remake of Hybrid Theory with little-to-no ambition or emotion.

Logic does not work with this one. It's best to ignore him.

Are you the same person that tried to tear down ATS months ago?

In any case, any attempt to prove to certain people that Meteora was more of the same crap is pointless.

SO WHAT ABOUT DAT LIVING THINGS EH

Don't bother trying to convince him, since it seems music with screaming/rapping about teenage angst over distorted guitars is what he likes best and nothing is going to change that it seems.

What an interesting turn of events :P

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7779

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8236&hl=

Edited by LinkinMark

Then how come Meteora sold a hell of a lot more than ATS and got better reviews all around? I know, it was probably just a coincidence.... :lol:

They sold more from Meteora because MT came out when people still purchased CD's.

And got better reviews? Well the yes, from the "old skool Nu-Metal fans". But many reviews criticized it because it sounded like Hybrid Theory. I prefer ATS over any other LP album but that's my opinion. :)

Everybody has their own opinions, I personally love everything LP have ever done, but I respect people's opinions who don't. I just don;t understand why everybody has a go at everyone else for not liking a certain album, or liking one more than another

Edited by Just_Godd

Then how come Meteora sold a hell of a lot more than ATS and got better reviews all around?

I know, it was probably just a coincidence.... :lol:

I know I'm ignoring my own advice here, but I have to get this clear... You're wondering why an incredibly formulaic pop album, that also came out at a time when there was less pirating in the industry, sold more than a non-pop album (with a few exceptions)? :rolleyes: Gee, I wonder why. I love when the metalheads like to say LP sold out/went pop with ATS, yet also bring up the fact that HT and Meteora were two of the top selling albums of the decade... right up there with Britney Spears and such :lol: In order to "sell out", an artist can't be mainstream to begin with lol. Edited by avo17

I know I'm ignoring my own advice here, but I have to get this clear... You're wondering why an incredibly formulaic pop album, that also came out at a time when there was less pirating in the industry, sold more than a non-pop album (with a few exceptions)? :rolleyes: Gee, I wonder why. I love when the metalheads like to say LP sold out/went pop with ATS, yet also bring up the fact that HT and Meteora were two of the top selling albums of the decade... right up there with Britney Spears and such :lol: In order to "sell out", an artist can't be mainstream to begin with lol.

THIS.

I also find it funny that people have actually considered LP "metal".

Depeche Mode + power chords + rapper + screaming = Metal, apparently