Quick question? Ask here!

DecanoLP

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have question. Some douchbage pissed me off on facebook with lp live sound. What is the difference between analog and digital guitar sound live? Is everything really live? I don't mean samples, I mean guitar sound. You know, last year in Rybnik I was standing in front of stadium and I heard something like soundcheck. I went to pale and through it I saw some people on stage, maybe techs. The main thing is that Papercut played live and nobody played the guitar, drums etd. Vocals were playback too. It was really far from me, but I hope I'm wrong and LP is not playback band. Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

Hey guys, I have question. Some douchbage pissed me off on facebook with lp live sound. What is the difference between analog and digital guitar sound live? Is everything really live? I don't mean samples, I mean guitar sound. You know, last year in Rybnik I was standing in front of stadium and I heard something like soundcheck. I went to pale and through it I saw some people on stage, maybe techs. The main thing is that Papercut played live and nobody played the guitar, drums etd. Vocals were playback too. It was really far from me, but I hope I'm wrong and LP is not playback band. Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

They soundcheck the PA system using recordings of previous shows.

Edited by Astat

Sort of going off that, when did LP start using digital amp modeling on stage?

Fully digital? Start of the Hunting Party tour in 2014 when they switched to the Axe-FX II setup (which was originally designed and supposed to be integrated during the Living Things tours, but it didn't come together in time). They've been using amp modeling to some extent since 2007 though, which was when they started using the Randall MTS preamps as a means of covering the Mesa/Marshall tones from Hybrid Theory and Meteora as well as the Soldano, Hiwatt, and other various amp sounds introduced on Minutes to Midnight.

Edited by Astat

Are you 100% sure, Astat?

Yes. The soundcheck process is split into two parts, soundchecking the PA system and soundchecking the stage. The crew soundchecks the instruments on stage in typical fashion (example HERE), but the PA system is checked with existing recordings because it eliminates all of the variables you deal with in a real live situation. This is why all of the live shows are still being recorded even though the DSP program was discontinued. LP has been soundchecking the PA system in this manner ever since Pooch became their FOH engineer in 2007. Look up "Behind the Live Sound of Linkin Park’s Hunting Party Tour" on Youtube, the way Pooch and Tater go through multitracks of recordings from rehearsals and live shows throughout that series is exactly the same thing they do when they soundcheck the PA.

If a band member is absent they are also able to use this method to still soundcheck with 5/6 of the band. I saw this at Sunrise 2011. Brad was sick and was playing the night's shows but was not able to play the soundcheck. Pooch has multitracks of every song already, since they had already all been played. He'd just sub those in through the PA for the guitar, while the rest of the band played. Pretty cool. Mike actually gave a speech about how they NEVER do that live but were doing it at soundcheck for a special situation. I might have it on video somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anybody remember what show it was that Mike's equipment failed right after The Radiance? It prompted Chester and Brad to go through the chorus of Iridescent with the crowd a couple of times.

http://lplive.net/shows/db/2011/20110222

My question is...I'm working on the Linkinpedia Collision Course page. Didn't we state somewhere on here that we they re recorded the bass on Numb/Encore and maybe on Izzo/In The End? Phoenix and Rob did some small re recording of parts right? I have the list of the vocal changes.

Numb/Encore had new guitar and bass parts (guitar by Brad, bass by Mike). The guitar in DOYS/LFY was re-recorded for the first part of the song up until the first LFY chorus (I'd assume same is true of the bass).

Nothing instrumentally re-recorded for Izzo, song was just pitched up/sped up. Big Pimpin is the original beat unchanged, POA/OSC uses the Hybrid Theory instrumental parts exclusively. I think there was more sampled percussion stuff added to the Jigga What beat but the bass/guitar was unchanged.

I don't believe Rob, Joe, or Phoenix re-recorded anything. Joe and Rob didn't need to and what little bass work was done was handled by Mike.

I've never really found an answer for this, but are the SNL (2011 and 2007) performances allowed to be posted in the Audio section? I know various TV appearances and stuff are already there so I think it's allowed but I don't want to post a thread requesting it if it's against the rules. And I've never seen a good rip of them so it would be cool to have, IMO. Audio only I'm talking about.

I've never really found an answer for this, but are the SNL (2011 and 2007) performances allowed to be posted in the Audio section? I know various TV appearances and stuff are already there so I think it's allowed but I don't want to post a thread requesting it if it's against the rules. And I've never seen a good rip of them so it would be cool to have, IMO. Audio only I'm talking about.

Yes. Whenever the video source is allowed an audio rip is allowed as well.

Quick question - Random, I know, but does anybody happen to know what show my current avatar was from? I know LP posted it on social media and it was during Carnivores Tour. I think it was possibly Tampa, but I could be wrong.

Quick question - Random, I know, but does anybody happen to know what show my current avatar was from? I know LP posted it on social media and it was during Carnivores Tour. I think it was possibly Tampa, but I could be wrong.

Tampa it is. Both sides:

tumblr_o966lniTAY1rjyrpdo1_500.jpg

I was just looking at the show page for the show where Collision Course was filmed (http://lplive.net/shows/db/2004/20040718), and I see in the notes: "Mike came out and said, "Hey guys, I know it's hot but MTV fucked up the lighting, so we're gonna have to do the Jay-Z songs again, is that alright?""

My question is, with that being an exact quote, is there video of this? Or of any of the first takes of the CC songs? Even audio? Basically, I'm asking if anything has surfaced from this show (audio or visual) besides the hip-hop medley, the first take of Numb/Encore, and the second take of all of the CC songs.

Edited by Justin